Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Progress with my lathe.

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Jun 24 2015, 02:28PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Ok, I've been giving this some more consideration, and I've decided an NVR (no volt release) switch is essential, along with a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch for reversing.

I think I pretty much have everything covered now. I need to ensure that the Stop button triggers the NVR switch to isolate the supply, so that re-setting the stop button doesn't re-connect power to the motor without operating the NVR switch.

Also, the forward/reverse switch MUST be wired in such a way that the NVR switch isolates if the forward/reverse switch is moved to the intermediate 'off' position, to prevent switching from forward to reverse while the motor is rotating.

I think I'm now ready to draw the circuit.
Mads Barnkob
Fri Jun 26 2015, 01:23PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Have you considered using the most widely used concept for motor reversing, self hold and emergency stop/protection relay there is?

I could only find an example in Danish, but the schematics are drawn in english ;)

Use the drop down box to see them at item 2 and 3. Link2
Ash Small
Fri Jun 26 2015, 01:52PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Have you considered using the most widely used concept for motor reversing, self hold and emergency stop/protection relay there is?

I could only find an example in Danish, but the schematics are drawn in english ;)

Use the drop down box to see them at item 2 and 3. Link2

I think this is pretty much what I'm doing. I either need a four pole double throw switch, or a single pole double throw switch (ON-OFF-ON) and four double pole relays.

See related thread here: Link2

(From what I can gather, the Danish link you posted depicts a three phase motor, mine is single phase, But I appreciate that the principle is similar)
Ash Small
Sat Jun 27 2015, 02:10PM
New information, progress so far:

I've started drawing the motor reverse circuit. I've drawn two four pole relays, but I've been offered some three pole relays by Dr Slack which I suppose I could use if I 'hardwire' the neutral 'motor run' connection, and just use the relays to switch the live 'motor run' connection, and the two 'motor start' connections.

1435414229 3414 FT171802 Lathemotor

The 'motor start' wires are shown in red on the diagram.

The single pole double throw (on-off-on) switch can only switch one relay in at a time.

Also, yet to be drawn, is the NVR (no volt release) switch, which will 'trip out' if the 'forward/reverse' switch is moved from either the forward or reverse position to the 'off' position, which 'should' ensure that the motor can't be switched from forward to reverse while it is turning.

Any comments at this stage will be appreciated. Obviously the circuit needs fuses, etc, and isn't completed yet.

EDIT: I considered using four of the three pole relays wired as double pole, but I feel just using one relay for both run and start windings would avoid the possibility of only one winding being energized in the event of a relay failure, which can't be good for the motor.

I think, as mentioned above, that hardwiring the neutral 'run' wire, and using the three pole relays to switch the live 'run' wire and the two start wires should work ok.

EDIT: Here's the motor reverse circuit using three pole relays:

1435496549 3414 FT1630 Three Pole Relay

------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------

EDIT: I've been googling NVR switches and this one has 'live' and 'neutral' in and out, and has a 'jumper' between 'A1' and '24'. This, I think, means it will only 'cut out' if the supply 'before' it is interrupted. From the look of it, if the power is interrupted 'after' it, it stays on.

1435525618 3414 FT1630 Nvr

(I think, if I connect A1 to the 'live' feed into the motor, after the relays, and make sure '23' and '24' are the 'neutral' in and out, then it should 'cut out' if the relays are both 'off', even momentarily. It's just a question of getting the 'circuit logic' right.

Ash Small
Mon Jun 29 2015, 04:32PM
Ok, I think this is the correct circuit:

1435595536 3414 FT171802 Lathe Circuit

The purple wire connects to terminal 'A1' on the KJD17 NVR switch, pictured above.

The instructions say it should have a jumper to terminal '24' (live out in the schematic), but if it connects directly to the live motor run wire at the motor, it should trip if for any reason, the live feed to the motor is interrupted anywhere before the motor.

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it. I've ordered two switches. I'll also try and clean the above post up a bit later.

EDIT: there are still some problems with this circuit, for example, the 'normally open' contact in the 'stop' button won't conduct when closed because the NVR switch will have tripped. I'll sort this later.
hen918
Mon Jun 29 2015, 04:39PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Ok, I think this is the correct circuit:

1435595536 3414 FT171802 Lathe Circuit

The purple wire connects to terminal 'A1' on the KJD17 NVR switch, pictured above.

The instructions say it should have a jumper to terminal '24' (live out in the schematic), but if it connects directly to the live motor run wire at the motor, it should trip if for any reason, the live feed to the motor is interrupted anywhere before the motor.

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it. I've ordered two switches. I'll also try and clean the above post up a bit later.

This one looks right to me, your previous one had the lathe powered through the relay coil of the NVR.
Ash Small
Mon Jun 29 2015, 04:46PM
hen918 wrote ...

This one looks right to me, your previous one had the lathe powered through the relay coil of the NVR.

Yes, I've deleted that one now, just to save any confusion. It came about by googling the wrong symbol for an NVR switch. I've used what's actually marked on the switch this time.

I've ordered a three position rotary switch as well for forward/reverse. They should be here by the end of the week.

EDIT: Well, the switches arrived this morning, which is excellent service, but the switches aren't wired as per the photo posted above. These. although the part number is the same, have an internal jumper fitted between A1 and 24. I can use one on my pillar drill, where an external jumper would be fitted here anyway, but they are no good for the lathe circuit as posted above.

I've E-mailed the supplier asking if they have any with a separate A1 terminal.

EDIT: Ok, the supplier, Axeminster tools Link2 does stock a five terminal KJD17 NVR awitch, but it isn't presently listed on their website. The part number is BURT001236 and current price is £14.26, although I'm certain they only charged me £25 inc postage for two.

It was confusing because the four terminal version is on the website, although the accompanying photo shows the five terminal version. I've now pointed this out to them.

Apart from the above confusion, service from Axeminster tools was excellent, and I now have a couple of five terminal NVR switches on the way.

EDIT: They have now updated their website. If you want the five terminal switch you need to quote the above mentioned part number as they only have the four terminal switch on the website.

EDIT: They now have other NVR switches listed with 'four and five terminal versions available'. Looks like they listened. Service was excellent by the way, and they did say to 'contact them if you can't find what you want on the website as they stock some 25,000 items and can't put them all on the website'
Ash Small
Wed Jul 01 2015, 08:11PM
Ok, here is pretty much the complete circuit.

1435847048 3414 FT1630 Lathe Circuit2

There is a revised version of this drawing below

I should probably add some appropriate fuses to the 24V system, but apart from that it's looking fairly complete, I think. I'll probably add a few more 'idiot lights', but all the wiring for them will be contained inside the main control box. I think I've accounted for all wires to and from the main control box.

Any further comments at this stage will be appreciated wink

I'm just collecting everything together so I can work out what dimensions the main control box needs to be.

klugesmith
Sun Jul 05 2015, 02:32AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Nice lathe you got there, Ash. If it hasn't been abused, a man of your talent ought to be able to turn out (NPI) work as large and as nicely finished as with a modern lathe of that size. Just remember to keep those spindle oilers full, turned on when running, and off when done. smile

Your motor controls are certainly not 19th century. But can you find room for nice-looking start and stop buttons? Like at Link2 or:
1436063437 2099 FT171802 Startstop

Oops, recent posts show you're way ahead of me there.
Ash Small
Sun Jul 05 2015, 03:04AM
klugesmith wrote ...

Nice lathe you got there, Ash. If it hasn't been abused, a man of your talent ought to be able to turn out (NPI) work as large and as nicely finished as with a modern lathe of that size. Just remember to keep those spindle oilers full, turned on when running, and off when done. smile

This lathe has earned me thousands over the years. Like a lot of lathes from this era, it was fitted with a single phase motor at some point in the '50's or '60's, with a 13 amp 240V plug, when I bought it over 25 years ago and I (guiltily sad ) never got around to sorting it out properly until now, although I've hardly used it for 15 years or so. (I was predominantly working 'on site', using the client's fitting shop where necessary since my previous premises was demolished to build luxury flats, until I gave up work five years ago.)

It's been in storage for a while but I'm finally getting my shed sorted out, and almost every project I have underway is waiting for this and some of my other equipment to be 'checked over' and gotten operational again.

I always keep an oil can handy to keep the oilers topped up, even though there is some wear in one of the countershafts that can't be adjusted.

I mostly used this lathe for machining stainless components 'slowly'. These 'old lathes' are so over engineered they are ideal for stuff like this. I've also machined monel on it.

Last time it was accurate to ~1/3 thou, but I think I can probably set it up for greater accuracy now (I was young and impatient then). They don't build 'em like they used to.

I could hardly post details on here without sorting out the wiring properly, could I wink
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: