All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Semikron DRSSTC Twin Coils!

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Mon Apr 27 2015, 07:45AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Just as in a shorted strike-rail, I'd bet there will be significant current flowing in your aluminum frame unless you take care to put a break in each square loop formed by it (not just the top, but the sides too). If the frame's resistance is low, then the result is simply that it shorts out some inductance of the primary coil, which is not ideal because its increasing the resistance to achieve that inductance.
Mads Barnkob
Mon Apr 27 2015, 12:02PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

Just as in a shorted strike-rail, I'd bet there will be significant current flowing in your aluminum frame unless you take care to put a break in each square loop formed by it (not just the top, but the sides too). If the frame's resistance is low, then the result is simply that it shorts out some inductance of the primary coil, which is not ideal because its increasing the resistance to achieve that inductance.

This was also my concern in a previous post, but now that I have given it some thought, I would like to see it run like it is and have him report back if there was any heat loss in the frame work.

Some years back when I worked with brewery automation, we had preform feeder consisting of two rolls that would sort them out before heating and blowing them up to bottles. We had great trouble with bus modules disconnecting from the network and after a reboot would seem fine again.
Long story short, sorter part of the machine was done in similar aluminium profiles, all interconnected by 10mm^2 wire for grounding. The problem turned out to be static electricity buildup and the profiles was close to be isolating rather than acting as a good ground.

Wether this profile only acts with high resistance to static because of the surface treatment or it also has high resistance against induction, not so sure :)

But prepare your work for a "quick-fix" so you can cut out a piece and avoid the closed loops if it turns out to be a problem. A problem might also take a while to find, it could still eat power but also dissipate it quite good.
loneoceans
Mon Apr 27 2015, 06:10PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Steve Ward wrote ...

This was also my concern in a previous post, but now that I have given it some thought, I would like to see it run like it is and have him report back if there was any heat loss in the frame work.

Some years back when I worked with brewery automation, we had preform feeder consisting of two rolls that would sort them out before heating and blowing them up to bottles. We had great trouble with bus modules disconnecting from the network and after a reboot would seem fine again.
Long story short, sorter part of the machine was done in similar aluminium profiles, all interconnected by 10mm^2 wire for grounding. The problem turned out to be static electricity buildup and the profiles was close to be isolating rather than acting as a good ground.

Wether this profile only acts with high resistance to static because of the surface treatment or it also has high resistance against induction, not so sure :)

But prepare your work for a "quick-fix" so you can cut out a piece and avoid the closed loops if it turns out to be a problem. A problem might also take a while to find, it could still eat power but also dissipate it quite good.

Thanks Steve and Mads for your comments :) I did some quick tests and I found that (as Mads mentioned) that the anodizing of the aluminium framing is actually pretty solid, which ended up being quite high resistance. This would as you can imagine, fluctuate greatly depending on how hard the connection screws 'bite' into the aluminium and break the anodizing. Since I have a setup going already though, I thought I might as well make this into an experiment to see how it works with or without a gap.

My backup plan is to simply replace the top connectors with fiberglass or similar flat plates instead of aluminium, with kapton tape between the member joints. Replacing just one of these opens the top square loop and two side loops, and replacing just two of them opens all 5 loops, so I'll see how it performs with and without.

Back to construction, more progress was made!

17084262317 A645df2836
The driver will be powered by a 75W switching power supply, which will also run the fans and under-glow lights. I'm using my version of the UD2.7 here. I am planning to use the resistor for the lights because they seem a bit too bright. Appropriate holes were drilled into the grounded metal box which holds the driver.

17291207921 E764c82de3
I bought a spool of wire on ebay and made a little jig for it.

17265746926 Def0294016
I got 8" PVC pipe and machined the end-caps for it out of polycarbonate, mounted it carefully on the lathe, and started winding it. I was also able to get the auto-feeder going, which was very cool to watch since the coil basically winds itself. I had to stop a few times to manually adjust the spacing since the wire thickness+insulation doesn't match the feed rate perfectly, but it worked out in the end. Also note that it basically takes up the entire lathe - couldn't have made a much bigger coil at all! Even with the lathe to help, this still took about an hour. Once done, I coated it with polyurethane varnish and left it on the lathe to dry. The coil will take several coats for durability.

17084262217 3fe6fcf814
Primary supports were laser cut using a 75W laser cutter. I also engraved numbers on them since they are all individually different, to account for the spiral.

17291207961 E148bb1dbc
The primary table was made using a large acrylic sheet and marked the old-fashioned way with a compass and straight edge.

17103928628 5ae4230339
Primary supports then drilled and tapped and screwed onto the primary table.

16669238324 A5db12890a
Finally, the primary goes together. This went quite easily with 3/8" copper tubing. I designed the primary supports to be a 'snap-in' fit, so they all fit together perfectly and in-place with no zip-ties required :)

Most of the components are done at this point, so the next time is to make all the small items like primary connectors and side panels, and the wiring which will definitely take more time than I think it will. suprised
loneoceans
Fri May 01 2015, 06:34AM
After a lot more work, I managed to put the coil together amazed

17313928205 8ae0bd40ce
The side panels were cut out on the laser cutter. This went pretty fast and it's great to have technology to help.

17287973546 Bed5754d29
Here you can see the CT, GDT and gate drives all ready for assembly.

16693670293 C8d2a5c9e0
The wiring was a lot of work and still leaves a lot to be desired, but just wanted to get it together. Tested the wiring and started low-power testing without the secondary in place. Everything works great with perfect ZVS.

16691478764 B011f694f0
And the coil is completed, topped of with a spun toroid and green underglow. Time to plug it in!
Mads Barnkob
Fri May 01 2015, 06:56AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
It looks real good, that laser cutter is really a improvement to good looking and fast made pieces :) I really like the idea of making the primary holder snap-in tight.

What kind of size / model / price is such a laser cutter machinery?

Where did you buy the toroid?
loneoceans
Fri May 01 2015, 08:53AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

It looks real good, that laser cutter is really a improvement to good looking and fast made pieces :) I really like the idea of making the primary holder snap-in tight.

What kind of size / model / price is such a laser cutter machinery?

Where did you buy the toroid?

Thanks :) In fact I've been using all snap-in primary holders for almost all of my coils, usually setting the hole size to be the exact size of the primary conductor and the slot in to be a V-shape taper, just barely narrower than the diameter.

Usually I do one or two small test cuts to make sure the shape fits, and it helps with a bit of experience too since the laser cutter behaves differently depending on the thickness of the material. The laser cutter was available for use in the workshop I was building the coils in so I have no idea how much they cost, but this was a 75W Universal Laser, and they're pretty expensive, something like several 10,000s. There's also a 60W Epilog laser in the shop. I've seen people cut up to 2" thick acrylic with these guys with some tricks, so it's very impressive.

I got the toroid from Amazing1, of all places! They sell... somewhat sketchy tesla coils and other electronic things, but their toroids are very nice, and they even offer custom toroid spinning for any size you want.

Right now the safety folks are understandably a bit concerned with me running the coil from the shop's power, angry ...

Also, a surprise coming up soon! amazed

kilovolt
Tue May 05 2015, 10:02AM
kilovolt Registered Member #2018 Joined: Tue Mar 10 2009, 09:56AM
Wow, great coil and results, well done! I really love your projects in general, loneoceans. Thanks for posting.

Have a nice day.
kilovolt
loneoceans
Wed May 06 2015, 05:39AM
kilovolt wrote ...

Wow, great coil and results, well done! I really love your projects in general, loneoceans. Thanks for posting.

Have a nice day.
kilovolt

Thanks amazed
So while building the green coil, I thought, why not build another one to go along with it? Everything's better in red and black.

16764847954 495b643ca6

17199805410 062b4f02bd

17201148359 9dc3964ca8

17179930577 C42a8204c0
loneoceans
Fri May 08 2015, 08:30PM
The coils are complete; here's me with the coils. They turned out to be bigger than I had imagined.

17199691548 0d00c2f612

They're both running at about 60kHz and should run at 1.2kApk no problems. Right now I've got them set at 700-800A. More to come soon.
loneoceans
Thu May 14 2015, 03:29PM
The coils have both been run at a conservative setting with about 185-210VAC input from a generator. Sorry for the third post, thought it would be nice to share the results of the coil in action.

The generator was a 4kW Honda generator and was clearly struggling under the load during musical runs. I haven't managed to get the coils completely tuned yet but they are currently performing pretty ok with 7 feet of spark :) Unfortunately needed more power to turn both on at the same time.

amazed

17149941030 0b3169128e
It's alive!

17361536606 Ed757a8a9f
And the red coil in action.

After a minute or two runs, all parts of the coil are still quite cold, so I am quite confident the coil will be able to be run at much higher power with no problems, something like 1.2kA.
More photos can be found on my flickr: Link2

And finally here's a video of the red coil in polyphonic mode. Looking forward to higher power runs soon and I think something like 10 feet spark should be no problem.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: