All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Question for Steve Ward re his mini SSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Kolas
Sat Feb 14 2015, 07:52PM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
Erm, Iam no expert but I do know that driving above resonant frequency will cause the secondary to go into 90 degree phase difference with the primary. Which will entirely disagree with the feedback method used by most tesla coils. And phase leading by the secondary can cause failure in the mosfet/igbt stage amplification via over voltage. this is at least what i have read in the past, it is not my personal experience to my knowledge.
Sigurthr
Sat Feb 14 2015, 11:14PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Kolas wrote ...

Which will entirely disagree with the feedback method used by most tesla coils. And phase leading by the secondary can cause failure in the mosfet/igbt stage amplification via over voltage. this is at least what i have read in the past, it is not my personal experience to my knowledge.

I believe this only occurs in DRSSTCs where primary feedback is used. Using secondary base or antenna feedback, or running open loop doesn't have this problem.

Any FM modulation of the drive signal will have capacitive and inductive going excursions by the nature of FM. Setting the bias point so that the frequency lowering excursions stay above resonance prevents a capacitive impedance being reflected to the bridge, thus preventing high peak currents from flowing as a result of current leading.
GrantX
Sun Feb 15 2015, 05:38AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Welcome to the forum, always good to see another Aussie (greetings from the Yarra Valley).

I'm also in the middle of designing a small SSTC (albeit very slowly, not much time on my hands recently and I'm dividing it between a bunch of projects). I'm probably going to use a CT over the secondary's ground lead for feedback rather than an antenna. It looks neater and I have a bunch of Epcos N30 cores sitting around. Apart from that and the use of IGBT's, the bridge itself is very similar to Steve's Mini SSTC design. My secondary is around 465 kHz (50mm x 285mm coil with a 150mm x 40mm toroid) and I'm using 0.68 uF DC blocking caps, which gives an effective impedance of around 0.25 Ohms. With a 325 VDC bus this is negligible. The DC blocking caps are the flat terminal snubber types rated at 20A RMS and the IGBT's are FGH40N60SMD's (600V 80A, 137 nanosecond total switching delays), which is probably excessive for the power level I hope to achieve.

I haven't yet decided what feedback scheme to use, I've been looking at both the simple Schmitt trigger design as seen in the Mini SSTC, and a PLL design based on a 4046 IC.

Looking forward to seeing how your design progresses. Hopefully one day there will be enough of us for an Aussie Teslathon :)
Sigurthr
Sun Feb 15 2015, 05:56AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
GrantX, if you do decide to use the 4046 be sure to read up here on the forum about the problems related to the phase comparators (type 1 vs type 2) intrinsic to the 4046. Long story short it is a pain in the arse to get right unless you get lucky. I made four TCs with that ic, and only one ever ran right, even though there were no deviations in design other than secondary size and resultant frequency. I eventually moved on to other drive topologies.

That high of DC bus does indeed negate the impedance of the dc blocking caps, but do remember that a half bridge only sees half the bus voltage at its output. Running off 177V bus like we do here in the states, that quarter ohm is more important.
GrantX
Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:23AM
Sigurthr wrote ...

GrantX, if you do decide to use the 4046 be sure to read up here on the forum about the problems related to the phase comparators (type 1 vs type 2) intrinsic to the 4046. Long story short it is a pain in the arse to get right unless you get lucky. I made four TCs with that ic, and only one ever ran right, even though there were no deviations in design other than secondary size and resultant frequency. I eventually moved on to other drive topologies.

That high of DC bus does indeed negate the impedance of the dc blocking caps, but do remember that a half bridge only sees half the bus voltage at its output. Running off 177V bus like we do here in the states, that quarter ohm is more important.

Thank you for the reply Sig, that helps a lot. I do understand that a half bridge will only give me +/- ~160 VDC across the primary, but I got lucky and scored a huge box of snubber capacitors. Since the snubbers are all screw terminal, I can increase or decrease capacitance without having to change any of the layout.

I was considering the 4046 scheme because I foolishly assumed it would be more reliable and stable than the Schmitt trigger, but I see now that people have had some serious difficulties with those IC's. Thanks for the warning, I'll start looking into some alternatives.

I don't want to clutter up Greg's thread, so I'll make a new thread soon to continue procrastinating about the feedback circuit ;)
Gregary Boyles
Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:42AM
Gregary Boyles Registered Member #9039 Joined: Wed Dec 26 2012, 03:31PM
GrantX wrote ...

Welcome to the forum, always good to see another Aussie (greetings from the Yarra Valley).

I'm also in the middle of designing a small SSTC (albeit very slowly, not much time on my hands recently and I'm dividing it between a bunch of projects). I'm probably going to use a CT over the secondary's ground lead for feedback rather than an antenna. It looks neater and I have a bunch of Epcos N30 cores sitting around. Apart from that and the use of IGBT's, the bridge itself is very similar to Steve's Mini SSTC design. My secondary is around 465 kHz (50mm x 285mm coil with a 150mm x 40mm toroid) and I'm using 0.68 uF DC blocking caps, which gives an effective impedance of around 0.25 Ohms. With a 325 VDC bus this is negligible. The DC blocking caps are the flat terminal snubber types rated at 20A RMS and the IGBT's are FGH40N60SMD's (600V 80A, 137 nanosecond total switching delays), which is probably excessive for the power level I hope to achieve.

I haven't yet decided what feedback scheme to use, I've been looking at both the simple Schmitt trigger design as seen in the Mini SSTC, and a PLL design based on a 4046 IC.

Looking forward to seeing how your design progresses. Hopefully one day there will be enough of us for an Aussie Teslathon :)
Gidday Grant. You don't live all that far way from me then.

I am a volunteer for the Science Talent Search run by the Science Teachers Association of Victoria. If I can get my SSTC working, plus a few other devices, I was going to see if they would let me demo them on their presentation day at Latrobe Uni.

I was also toying with the idea of displaying them as alternative Christmas lights one year.

Perhaps even a display at Epping Plaza or Westfield South Morang if they let me.

I am currently doing a kitchen renovation, as well as run my landscaping and mail order nursery business and maintain my business website. So my time is also some what divided.
GrantX
Mon Feb 16 2015, 10:00AM
Gregary Boyles wrote ...

I am a volunteer for the Science Talent Search run by the Science Teachers Association of Victoria. If I can get my SSTC working, plus a few other devices, I was going to see if they would let me demo them on their presentation day at Latrobe Uni.

I was also toying with the idea of displaying them as alternative Christmas lights one year.

Perhaps even a display at Epping Plaza or Westfield South Morang if they let me.

I am currently doing a kitchen renovation, as well as run my landscaping and mail order nursery business and maintain my business website. So my time is also some what divided.

I'm often in Melbourne's northern suburbs since most of my friends live in that area, seems to be a nice place.

What's involved in volunteering for the Science Talent Search? Seems like it could be entertaining. Once I have a few projects finished to a high enough quality I'd love to take part in some kind of science/tech demonstrations.
Gregary Boyles
Mon Feb 16 2015, 01:54PM
Gregary Boyles Registered Member #9039 Joined: Wed Dec 26 2012, 03:31PM
GrantX wrote ...

Gregary Boyles wrote ...

I'm often in Melbourne's northern suburbs since most of my friends live in that area, seems to be a nice place.

What's involved in volunteering for the Science Talent Search? Seems like it could be entertaining. Once I have a few projects finished to a high enough quality I'd love to take part in some kind of science/tech demonstrations.

I attend the STS meetings, do what I can to help with their judging day and presentation day - for models specifically. It is a lot of fund playing with the in models and inventions the kids come up with.

The first year one kid created a small high voltage coil gun - it was very well done. Last year another kid made a model of 3D laser scanner. I.E. He manually and randomly scans a 3D object with a small laser and then he used a standard USB webcam, and some software he wrote, to construct a 3D model on his laptop.

If you are interested in getting involved then check this out: Link2

Call Janice in the office and let hew know you want to be involved.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: