All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Oscilloscope Choice

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Graham Armitage
Tue Jan 13 2015, 03:34PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Where did you order from? The Rigol website said 9-11 weeks to ship !!
Wolfram
Tue Jan 13 2015, 03:46PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
I ordered from Batronix Link2 in Germany. Their shipping rates are reasonable so getting one from them would be around 420 dollars including shipping to the US. Maybe there would be some additional import taxes on top, I'm not too familiar with how this works in the US. However, I found the scope at Tequipment for a lower total price Link2 as they do free shipping within the US. Edit:There's no indicator showing that they are in stock at Tequipment however.
Graham Armitage
Tue Jan 13 2015, 03:49PM
Thanks for the that - probably the best price around for a new one.
Mads Barnkob
Wed Jan 14 2015, 08:20AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Wolfram wrote ...

I ordered from Batronix Link2 in Germany. Their shipping rates are reasonable so getting one from them would be around 420 dollars including shipping to the US. Maybe there would be some additional import taxes on top, I'm not too familiar with how this works in the US. However, I found the scope at Tequipment for a lower total price Link2 as they do free shipping within the US. Edit:There's no indicator showing that they are in stock at Tequipment however.

I stand corrected on the pricing, there is no reason to take the DS1052E over the DS1054Z.

However you do want to get yourself a differential probe to be able to measure isolated from the oscilloscope ground. You can find 2nd hand Tektronix P5200 at ebay at around 250$. You do not need a pearson current monitor, a homemade like the ones we use for feedback could do, there is just a much larger error margin without a calibrated unit.
Wolfram
Thu Jan 15 2015, 10:32PM
Received mine, so far I'm very happy with it. I've attached a picture of it measuring a very jittery oscillator in my induction heating test setup.
Graham Armitage
Fri Jan 16 2015, 12:27PM
That looks great. I noticed the Tektronics Scope below it. Very similar model to what I have now. Digital and capture features aside, how does the 1054 compare?
Mads Barnkob
Fri Jan 16 2015, 01:47PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I am interested in some story about its USB memory stick interfacing, PC communication etc. How well does it handle this?

The DS1052E USB support is very selective and could fill a wrong formatted/sixe/whatever stick with random chinese signs and 4GB files. The PC software was next to useless, never used it after the day I got the scope.
JoeBonanno
Fri Jan 16 2015, 04:31PM
JoeBonanno Registered Member #14660 Joined: Mon Apr 22 2013, 04:05PM
i have the OWON 7102v, same of Rigol DS1052 but 8" screen and LAN support and native 100mhz max!
Wolfram
Fri Jan 16 2015, 05:39PM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

That looks great. I noticed the Tektronics Scope below it. Very similar model to what I have now. Digital and capture features aside, how does the 1054 compare?

They're different tools, even if they have the same purpose. I love my old Tek 2225 (and my 2465B), but this is my first digital scope that seriously threatens them. For practical reasons, I guess the Rigol will be used much more than my old analog scopes, but they are still the main priority when looking at low level audio signals and things like that. For these reasons, I'll keep both on my bench, and get the best of both worlds.

As far as file saving goes, I haven't tried it yet, but I haven't heard anything about major bugs. The scope also has a USB slave port for direct connection to a computer, and an LXI-compliant ethernet port for remote readout and control.
Dave47
Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:59AM
Dave47 Registered Member #84 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:06PM
JoeBonanno wrote ...

i have the OWON 7102v, same of Rigol DS1052 but 8" screen and LAN support and native 100mhz max!

I second the OWON 7102v. Pretty good scope and nice, large display.

David
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: