All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Gate Voltage

Move Thread LAN_403
Graham Armitage
Mon Jan 12 2015, 04:33PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
I agree. That's why I am hesitating on going beyond test phase. What I keep seeing is that the voltage on G1 looks much better. Without the bridge connected both legs of the GDT have perfect wave-form. I am wondering if something is going on with the second IGBT in the bridge. Tonight I might try and switch the two gate connections from the GDT and see if that changes anything. Both gate leads from GDT are 3" long and tightly twisted.
Steve Ward
Mon Jan 12 2015, 07:50PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Is this just a half-bridge drive (not full H-bridge)? If so, its often necessary to "manually" discharge the primary capacitor with a bleeder resistors. My suggestion would be to try a pair of 20K, 10W power resistors placed from the C1 to C2E1 terminal and from the C2E1 to the E2 terminal. This should look like a resistor in parallel with each IGBT and the effect is that the MMC will be charged to 1/2Vbus between firings. This should happen naturally but often doesn't, and should the primary C have significant charge at start up, there can be a "DC" component that messes with the duty cycle of the driver (which is what i think im seeing in your scope shot).

If you look after many more cycles, does the Vce waveform look more symmetrical?

Differences in ringing on rising/falling edge can also be a matter of perspective. Assuming an isolated power source, you can alternately scope the Vce of the top switch by connecting scope ground to the +DC rail and "invert" the scope channel. The result is often that the turn-on looks cleaner across the measured switch, than the turn-off (assuming you switch before the current reverses).

Side note: You cannot easily measure Vge of the top IGBT, however. I should also say that putting scope ground on the switch-node is not a good idea in general when switching significant voltage. Special isolation type scope probes would be useful for measuring signals referenced to switched voltages.
Graham Armitage
Mon Jan 12 2015, 08:30PM
This is an H-Bridge. Single brick with two transistors. Your point about the resistors is a great suggestion. I have 2 10W (6k) resistors across the bus capacitor at the IGBT. But that means they are not connected to C1/E2 - that could be significant. I will try fix that tonight. maybe go with 20k as you suggest before I run it at power.

I will check again, but I don't believe the waveform changed after multiple cycles. I can see how measuring Vge on the top gate is problematic. The idea of "referencing" on the +DC and inverting is clever. I will try that as well and see if it looks any different. Will post my findings later tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions smile
Antonio
Mon Jan 12 2015, 11:41PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Do you have a capacitor in series with the primary winding of the GDT? This may cause asymmetries. Look if the waveform stabilizes after some cycles of the burst. And look carefully at where are the ground connections of the oscilloscope. You can, in principle, ground the oscilloscope at the negative rail (if it is insulated from the mains ground) and look at the outputs of the bridge and at the gates of the lower transistors. Asymmetries would appear also at the primary side of the GDT, where it's safer to observe them with a normal ground.
Graham Armitage
Tue Jan 13 2015, 02:43AM
Making progress!! Tried checking the G1 waveform by inverting the signal and got the same weird behavior. Next I tried adding 6k resistors across the CE of the IGBTs - still the same. What was strange was as i changed the pulse width or frequency the phase would shift and it was difficult to get a proper measurement. So I tried adding a 10uF tantalum cap in series with the one output to the GDT - voila !! Immediately my GDT started singing like a canary (what I am used to hearing) and the bus current draw increased. Seemed to be getting much higher primary currents too. image below shows the Vge (smaller wave) and the bridge output with minimal ringing. There was quite a bit of ringing but as I tuned the inductor it disappeared.

I have not heard or read of the UD2.5 needing the 10uF cap, but I had it on a previous driver circuit. The UD2.5 has 2 1uF caps - would it make sense to remove those and replace it with the 10uF? This is my first UD2.5 build.

Ok1
Graham Armitage
Wed Jan 14 2015, 12:34AM
Well I figured out what was causing the problem on the falling edge on the gate voltage... initially thought it was adding a capacitor to the gate drive output, but it didn't matter what value I used. Then I realized I was switching the wires when adding the capacitor. So I removed the cap and switched the wires - everything works. Now I have NO idea why that would be, but I am leaving it as is for now. Maybe someone smarter than me has some clue.

When playing with the tuning I did see some other strange behavior. Increasing inductance would reduce ringing at the beginning of the oscillations but increases it toward the end. This 12s video Link2 shows what I mean. Is this a symptom of something else? Could it be something the scope is picking up and not really an issue. I have low confidence in this scope right now, but have nothing else to set this ZCS.

The current on the primary seems to be behaving nicely smile

Current
loneoceans
Wed Jan 14 2015, 12:42AM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
That's expected behavior. My page on the UD2.7 describes a general tuning procedure which will be useful for this. Your scope is fine by the way - I actually prefer analog scopes for catching spikes like these.
Graham Armitage
Wed Jan 14 2015, 01:17AM
I totally missed that when looking at your site. This makes me feel much better - I see exactly what you show. Makes total sense to reduce the ringing at the end of the oscillations when current is highest. Glad my scope is not lying but I still think I need a nice new shiny digital storage scope smile

Thanks again to everyone for help on this. Hopefully post some photos of it in operation soon.
Graham Armitage
Wed Jan 14 2015, 02:30AM
One last observation for the evening. The tuning seems to be fine and ringing eliminated at the end of the cycle. This is the bridge output and primary current with the bus voltage at around 100v. I would have expected the bridge output waveform to be a little more square and less spikey?

1421202553 6038 FT168213 Bridge Output

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: