Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The "Fat Coil" QCW Tesla Coil

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Intra
Tue Nov 18 2014, 09:50AM
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
Just watching this stuff fall me into deep delight! Thanks, Steve that you make this stuff be real. It is absolutely amazing.

Many things are hard to understand yet, but one of them is which mode you are use in H-bridges? Does they drives in phase-shifted mode or in regular like your first qcw with buck?

Look like with new MCu driver many features possibly are done in software (Buck modulator, Buck Snubber driving, bridges driving) and does this software-part could be replaced by analog-based electronics or some features won't properly work without MCu in prototype this high-power kind of QCW?
Simply, if H-bridges work in regular mode, then if I try to make this stuff according to qcwinfo from, for example, Gao site for my home bass fun, then will or won't work it with his(Gao), for example, buck modulator circuit design?

could you please tell something more about driving buck snubber circuit algorithm? It's a little bit difficult to understand how exactly it get stored and get back to bus the energy.

You wrote about duty cycle are 75%. Does 13kVAC RMS MMC are enough for polyphonic operations like bass guitar fun? Did you saw any MMC overheating playing bass?

"8x H-bridge, each drives its own transformer" - means 8 GDT cores, right?

If so, then 2 MCu drivers are works synchronously for multiplying H-bridges gate power or by another reason?
Steve Ward
Wed Nov 19 2014, 08:03PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Uspring:

I did some quick calculations from the specs you provided. It seems, like you didn't use a secondary MMC, which implies (by some more calcs), that arc loading would increase top capacitance by a factor of 2 or 3. How did you deal with that amount of detuning? My guess would be upper pole operation together with some heavy primary low tuning, e.g. 30 or 40%.

I chose to not use a MMC for the secondary due to their limited reliability and cost. I think the Csec = 44pF. My estimate for C of a 11 foot arc (by extrapolating linearly from previous guess of 2.5pF/ft) is 27.5pF which is a bit over half Csec.

It does have upper pole operation, and the primary is detuned, but im not sure its anywhere close to 30-40%. From my FEMM model and Java TC i get a Fpri of 260khz, Fsec of 270khz, K = 0.33, Fupper = 325khz. Im not sure how to define the % of detune, but this looks like just a few %. I wanted to try detuning further but somehow my driver could not cope and the coil would more often than not, end up at the lower pole mode which performed very very poorly (required too much current).

Comparing arc length to peak power relationships with your previous coil (20kW, 5-6 footers), there seems to be a deviation from the square root law, i.e. arc length ~ sqrt(P). Any idea about this?

First off, i mis-calculated the buck power (i did it based off the peak inductor current, but thats not right, it should be average inductor current during a switch cycle). So real max power so far is 460A*350V = 160kW. The tesla gun setup is my other benchmark for the 5-6 footers it uses about 100A*350V = 35kW. So doubling the spark length has called for ~4X the power, which seems to roughly follow a squared/square root law as anticipated, no?

Intra:
Many things are hard to understand yet, but one of them is which mode you are use in H-bridges? Does they drives in phase-shifted mode or in regular like your first qcw with buck?

The bridges are ZCS only, no phase shift modulation.

Look like with new MCu driver many features possibly are done in software (Buck modulator, Buck Snubber driving, bridges driving) and does this software-part could be replaced by analog-based electronics or some features won't properly work without MCu in prototype this high-power kind of QCW?
Simply, if H-bridges work in regular mode, then if I try to make this stuff according to qcwinfo from, for example, Gao site for my home bass fun, then will or won't work it with his(Gao), for example, buck modulator circuit design?

I chose to do things digitally, but the same performance could come from a bunch of TTL chips and analog circuits. I think you have the right idea in mind.

could you please tell something more about driving buck snubber circuit algorithm? It's a little bit difficult to understand how exactly it get stored and get back to bus the energy.

The snubber consists of a diode feeding into a capacitor bank (2x250V lytics in series). This bank has a boost circuit (series inductor, IGBT to bus -, diode to bus +) that will take the 475V-500V level of the snubber caps, and send that energy back to the 700V main bus via boost circuit. The voltage on the snubber capacitor is monitored by the MCU, if the level exceeds 490V the buck converter is forced to shut down. If the voltage is > 475V, the booster circuit is enabled to bring the snubber voltage down. Fairly simple stuff to implement in a MCU, which is why i prefer this system, but the start up time to design it is much higher.

You wrote about duty cycle are 75%. Does 13kVAC RMS MMC are enough for polyphonic operations like bass guitar fun? Did you saw any MMC overheating playing bass?

If so, then 2 MCu drivers are works synchronously for multiplying H-bridges gate power or by another reason?

When playing music through the coil, the peak power is usually limited because the average power is much higher and so the silicon is running hotter. The MMC has been very impressive, i havent noticed it getting warm at all after many minutes of making huge arcs smile.

The transformers are on the output of the H-bridges, this is not typical, but unique to my design for current sharing among all IGBTs.

The IGBTs are still GDT driven. Technically you only need 1 GDT with 32 secondary windings to drive all the IGBTs, but for ease of construction i used 4 GDTs total.

The 2 MCU-based controllers/drivers control the buck stage and the tesla coil stage separately, but share communication over rs-422. I could likely make 1 controller do all of this instead of 2, but this was the fastest way forward for now. There is a fiber optic link from the buck driver to the human controller, which generates the modulation signal.
Uspring
Thu Nov 20 2014, 11:39AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Thank you for the additional values.

From Cpri * Lpri = Csec * Lsec, Lsec should be around 8 mH. For some reason Javatc gave me a Lsec of about 3 mH, so I assumed Csec to be a lot higher, than your value of 44pF, which made be believe in a secondary MMC.

My estimate for C of a 11 foot arc (by extrapolating linearly from previous guess of 2.5pF/ft) is 27.5pF which is a bit over half Csec.
I've estimated arc capacitance differently, i.e. by its power consumption. In the corresponding TCML thread, you mentioned an estimate of 100kVac top voltage. I assumed this to be peak voltage. From this and 160kW power, the arc resistive load would be 0.5 * V^2 / P = 31kohm. From my measurements, I've found Conners hungry streamer model to be approximately accurate, which states, that capacitive and resistive loads are similar, i.e. R = 1 / (2*pi*f*Carc). Carc would then be about 20pF. That's a bit lower than your estimate, but the same ballpark.

So doubling the spark length has called for ~4X the power, which seems to roughly follow a squared/square root law as anticipated, no?
Great, that's pretty much what I expected smile

BSVi
Fri Nov 21 2014, 06:05AM
BSVi Registered Member #1637 Joined: Sat Aug 16 2008, 04:47AM
Why don't you just shut down buck in overcurrent condition and let groundstrike consume ~40 J of energy that is left in LC filter?

I dont think that could harm bridge. From my experementation, such an long streamer has considerable impedance and primary current rises by only ~100А. So I think it's safe to disable buck and let system rampdown by itself.

Thats, at least, what i did in my coil:

1416549797 1637 FT167363 Bang
Intra
Fri Nov 21 2014, 02:16PM
Steve, thank you clarify all the details. It very helpful for me. smile

Steve Ward wrote ...

Intra:

The bridges are ZCS only, no phase shift modulation.

I chose to do things digitally, but the same performance could come from a bunch of TTL chips and analog circuits. I think you have the right idea in mind.

The snubber consists of a diode feeding into a capacitor bank (2x250V lytics in series). This bank has a boost circuit (series inductor, IGBT to bus -, diode to bus +) that will take the 475V-500V level of the snubber caps, and send that energy back to the 700V main bus via boost circuit. The voltage on the snubber capacitor is monitored by the MCU, if the level exceeds 490V the buck converter is forced to shut down. If the voltage is > 475V, the booster circuit is enabled to bring the snubber voltage down. Fairly simple stuff to implement in a MCU, which is why i prefer this system, but the start up time to design it is much higher.

When playing music through the coil, the peak power is usually limited because the average power is much higher and so the silicon is running hotter. The MMC has been very impressive, i havent noticed it getting warm at all after many minutes of making huge arcs smile.

The transformers are on the output of the H-bridges, this is not typical, but unique to my design for current sharing among all IGBTs.

The IGBTs are still GDT driven. Technically you only need 1 GDT with 32 secondary windings to drive all the IGBTs, but for ease of construction i used 4 GDTs total.

The 2 MCU-based controllers/drivers control the buck stage and the tesla coil stage separately, but share communication over rs-422. I could likely make 1 controller do all of this instead of 2, but this was the fastest way forward for now. There is a fiber optic link from the buck driver to the human controller, which generates the modulation signal.
Steve Ward
Sun Nov 23 2014, 10:18PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Why don't you just shut down buck in overcurrent condition and let groundstrike consume ~40 J of energy that is left in LC filter?

That is the main mode of operation for my system, except the buck tries to maintain constant output current during the ground strike instead of simply shutting down. This gives much more spectacular ground arcs, especially during high rep-rate operation.

Overcurrent on the bridge is set pretty high to avoid ever tripping it, but some ground strikes have done it, and i see my "snubber over voltage" indicator come on when it does. It would be nice to have less complexity and not need the snubber, but i think there should always be some over-voltage protection in place since you have no guarantee the tesla coil driver might not suddenly shut off for any number of reasons, allowing the buck output to over-voltage.
Weston
Sun Nov 23 2014, 11:35PM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
Very interesting coil.

Does the micro controller form part of the feedback path? If so, does it sense the tank current with a comparator on the zero crossings or an ADC?

If clocked logic or a micro controller is used in the feedback path it seems like you would get a lot of jitter in the gate drive waveforms and fall into hard switching some of the time. Does this not end up being an issue?
Gregory
Mon Nov 24 2014, 06:23AM
Gregory Registered Member #2922 Joined: Sun Jun 13 2010, 12:08AM
Hello guys!

That is the main mode of operation for my system, except the buck tries to maintain constant output current during the ground strike instead of simply shutting down. This gives much more spectacular ground arcs, especially during high rep-rate operation.

Can you explain it better?
When over current is tripped the coil driver start to skip cycles and the buck goes in a "constant current mode" to help the cycle skiping thing to work better?

teravolt
Mon Nov 24 2014, 05:15PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
do you have problems with EMI in your electronics running that much power
Intra
Thu Nov 27 2014, 05:48PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

Steve, is it works this way?

Uq JpZuNmfk
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: