Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Driving 'Fiddy's Flybacks' in flyback mode.

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Thu Nov 06 2014, 08:30PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
I was able to get 10uS on 200us off, and you can change to mS if you like. totally stable just choose a good polyester or similar low leakage cap. I was able to vary it from 0.5% to 85 or 90% i think.

this was the principle time base for the planar circuit.
Ash Small
Thu Nov 06 2014, 09:03PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Patrick wrote ...

I was able to get 10uS on 200us off, and you can change to mS if you like. totally stable just choose a good polyester or similar low leakage cap. I was able to vary it from 0.5% to 85 or 90% i think.

this was the principle time base for the planar circuit.

but were you able to 'set' the on-time to, say 10uS, and then vary the frequency independantly (ie set the off-time independantly), without it changing the on-time?
Ash Small
Thu Nov 06 2014, 10:07PM
Sorry about the double post, but new information.

Sulaiman, I'm assuming you made a typo, and that this is what you meant. Tying the trigger of the astable to Vcc doesn't seem to make sense, to me anyway.

1415311662 3414 FT167108 555 Driver

EDIT: For anyone who is trying to work out how this is 'supposed' to work, R and R1 are variable resistors, R determines the 'on' time, and R1 determines the frequency, which also determines the 'off' time. The output of the second 555 (monostable) drives a MOSFET (or similar switch), which drives the primary of the flyback. For more info, see the link to the 'NE555' datasheet above, or the Wikipedia page on the NE555.
dexter
Fri Nov 07 2014, 08:19AM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
one disadvantage of the double 555 circuit is that while it offers constant ON time is not capable to offer fully adjustable duty cycle for all frequencies

at a certain frequency the range of the duty cycle would be maximum
at lower frequencies the range of the duty cycle would drop linearly with frequency
at higher frequencies the on time of the monostable would exceed the astable period giving weird output signals, the higher the frequency the weird the output wave form

lat say the maximum ON time of the monostable is 1ms then the maximum frequency of the astable should not exceed 1kHz to avoid overlaps, and as the frequency goes lower the maximum duty cycle also go down, so at 1kHz he maximum possible duty cycle would be 100% and at 500Hz the maximum possible duty cycle would be 50% and so on...

if you really need constant ON time and don't care about the reduction of the max duty cycle then this circuit is perfect
Daedronus
Fri Nov 07 2014, 10:18AM
Daedronus Registered Member #2329 Joined: Tue Sept 01 2009, 08:25AM
tl494 cry ?
Sigurthr
Fri Nov 07 2014, 11:50AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
You can use a LTC6990 and LTC6993. One is a wide range VCO, and the other is a variable one-shot. Complete independent control of frequency and pulse width. I've worked with the VCO version before, it works beautifully.
Ash Small
Fri Nov 07 2014, 02:02PM
dexter wrote ...

one disadvantage of the double 555 circuit is that while it offers constant ON time is not capable to offer fully adjustable duty cycle for all frequencies

at a certain frequency the range of the duty cycle would be maximum
at lower frequencies the range of the duty cycle would drop linearly with frequency
at higher frequencies the on time of the monostable would exceed the astable period giving weird output signals, the higher the frequency the weird the output wave form

lat say the maximum ON time of the monostable is 1ms then the maximum frequency of the astable should not exceed 1kHz to avoid overlaps, and as the frequency goes lower the maximum duty cycle also go down, so at 1kHz he maximum possible duty cycle would be 100% and at 500Hz the maximum possible duty cycle would be 50% and so on...

if you really need constant ON time and don't care about the reduction of the max duty cycle then this circuit is perfect

Yes, I realise that you need to keep the 'on' time shorter than the switching frequency, etc.

The optimum 'on' time for any flyback is a function of 'volt seconds', regardless of frequency, and the optimum 'off' time is dependant on several factors (load, secondary inductance, etc). Once we know the characteristics of these flybacks it should be easy to use a TL494 or whatever to 'reproduce' the optimum 'on' and 'off' times. Ideally you want to 'almost' reach saturation during the 'on' time. There are different modes for driving flybacks (continuous mode, discontinuous mode), which complicates things still further.

It's obviously possible to drive these flybacks using any flyback driver (single transistor, 50% duty cycle, etc), but to get the optimum performance I think you need to control the 'on' and 'off' times independantly, at least until you know what these are, for any given 'volts per turn', etc.

At least, that's what I've learned about flybacks during the four years I've been using this forum wink

@Daedronus: I'm sure you could use the TL494, but I don't think you can vary the frequency without changing the 'on' time as well, because the duty cycle is a percentage of switching period. Once the optimum 'on' and 'off' times are known, for a given application, I'm sure these could be reproduced using a 494, although I think the duty cycle is only variable within certain parameters, if I remember correctly.

@Sigurther: Thanks for those suggestions, I'll have a look later, but first I'll have a look at the 556, which, as I'm sure you are aware, is two 555's on one chip.
Fri Nov 07 2014, 07:23PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
If you really want precise control over the on times, etc, you might want to consider switching to a small microprocessor (ATtiny, etc), even with an attiny85 you get a pair of 8-bit timers and plenty of A/D to connect to the necessary knobs for controlling it. If you upgrade to an atmega (which you can get pre-programmed with the arduino bootloader for $4, or an entire arduino nano clone for $10) you get a 16bit timer that will blow away anything you can hobble together using 555's. It would also give a clear upgrade path for adding things like overcurrent protection, closed loop voltage/current mode, etc.
Ash Small
Fri Nov 07 2014, 08:08PM
... wrote ...

If you really want precise control over the on times, etc, you might want to consider switching to a small microprocessor (ATtiny, etc), even with an attiny85 you get a pair of 8-bit timers and plenty of A/D to connect to the necessary knobs for controlling it. If you upgrade to an atmega (which you can get pre-programmed with the arduino bootloader for $4, or an entire arduino nano clone for $10) you get a 16bit timer that will blow away anything you can hobble together using 555's. It would also give a clear upgrade path for adding things like overcurrent protection, closed loop voltage/current mode, etc.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind for another prohect I'm working on which requires 100nS on times, and I may look into it later for this, but I think I'll go for a single SE556 for now, with two control potentiometers, one for frequency and one for pulse length.

I think it just needs two variable resistors, two other resistors and five capacitors, plus a MOSFET and maybe a snubber/TVS. I am trying to keep this as simple as possible for now, but I do intend to take this principle further in the not too distant future wink
Erlend^SE
Fri Nov 07 2014, 10:41PM
Erlend^SE Registered Member #1565 Joined: Wed Jun 25 2008, 09:08PM
I plan to do a CC-CV controlled HV supply using micro-controllers (mine will be DC).

Not quite decided on the topologies, but I will be using current sense and voltage sense on mine.

I will be using special transformers, but they are very different from what you have.

Ash: I would suggest you have a low-side current shunt to figure out the winding current, given you are not going for isolated.

Ash: For AC transformer, what would be a good voltage rating to get? specs: 100W, round, board mounted
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: