All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"Magnetic Field Architecture" and the HENDO Hoverboard - *ALMOST* a real hoverboard

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Nucleophobe
Wed Oct 22 2014, 02:23AM
Nucleophobe Registered Member #108 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:44PM
2Spoons wrote ...

At 40W/kg, levitating an 80kg person on the board will take 3.2kW. Thats going to be one hell of a battery pack if you want more than a few minutes ride time.
Hovering a little box - ok. Hovering a person on something the size of a skateboard? - i'm a little skeptical.

They only claim about a 10-minute ride per charge, so if they have about a 500-1000Wh battery that would make sense (extra watts for the added weight of the board and battery).

A lead-acid car battery has around 1kWh and Li-ion batteries have higher specific energy (100 - 200Wh/kg).

Not sure what room there is for improvement though.
Conundrum
Wed Oct 22 2014, 06:38AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Using superconducting wire would reduce current usage substantially.
Most of the losses are resistive in the coils so 10% less loss = 10% cooler.
Also one improvement I came up with is to use switched coils so they never heat one small area too much, and spread out the field over about a square meter of copper surface to both increase lift capacity and increase system efficiency.

Shame there isn't a way to make any surface briefly conductive, maybe something that filters out argon from the air, sprays it onto the surface and applies a transverse RF field to form a glow discharge plasma which then acts as a pseudo-conductive surface?
Great Scott!
(scuttles off to Patent Office..)
Patrick
Wed Oct 22 2014, 07:06AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Shame there isn't a way to make any surface briefly conductive, maybe something that filters out argon from the air, sprays it onto the surface and applies a transverse RF field to form a glow discharge plasma which then acts as a pseudo-conductive surface?
Great Scott!
(scuttles off to Patent Office..)
No, No, stupid... what you really need is neutrino polarized di-lithum yttria film. Duh. wink

dexter
Wed Oct 22 2014, 08:37AM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Using superconducting wire would reduce current usage substantially.

Also one improvement I came up with is to use switched coils so they never heat one small area too much, and spread out the field over about a square meter of copper surface to both increase lift capacity and increase system efficiency.

wouldn't that produce very high back EMF unnecessarily complicating the system?

carrotSnack
Wed Oct 22 2014, 09:27AM
carrotSnack Registered Member #4115 Joined: Fri Sept 30 2011, 01:13PM
My understanding is that it doesn't use coils but electric motors that spin halbach arrays.
That's what it means when it says it 'focuses' the magnetic field.
Uspring
Wed Oct 22 2014, 11:24AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
My understanding is that it doesn't use coils but electric motors that spin halbach arrays.
Any idea how the array is rotated? Along its long axis? Link2 Rotational axis being horizontal?

A simple magnetic dipole rotated perpendicular to its axis would cause a similar pulsating magnetic field.
I'd expect also some sideway forces from these kind of rotating magnets. By using several arrays rotating at different speeds, these boards could be made self propelled, which seems almost a necessity, since the eddy current braking effects might be significant.
Artlav
Wed Oct 22 2014, 06:15PM
Artlav Registered Member #8120 Joined: Thu Nov 15 2012, 06:06PM
Uspring wrote ...
A simple magnetic dipole rotated perpendicular to its axis would cause a similar pulsating magnetic field.
I'd expect also some sideway forces from these kind of rotating magnets. By using several arrays rotating at different speeds, these boards could be made self propelled, which seems almost a necessity, since the eddy current braking effects might be significant.
That reminds me of a certain device i have, namely an axial flux outrunner motor, that can be used for an experiment.

The magnets on the rotor are flat, and are flipping polarity one after another.

Here is a video of how it behaves next to a slab of copper:

The magnets on the rotor's bottom are spinning in the same plane as the slab, and that produces significant repulsive force.
The motor struggles to spin, the eddy currents try to stop the rotation.
At low RPM it tends to oscillate, but at higher speeds it's floating quite stable.

The motor's body tries to spin out the other way, so i can't let it just float there, but it's hovering on it's own - the strings are only pulled counter to the momentum.
It's quite hard to make it touch the surface, even if dropped - it jumps back up, and maintains about 1cm of distance at full RPM.

There is almost no friction when moving sideways spinning, while there is some when it's not.
All the braking seems to happen to rotation, not to the sideways motion.

I can totally see two or four of these counter-spinning to make a stable hoverboard, but i'm not rich enough to get a sufficiently big slab of copper. :)
Perhaps aluminium...
BigBad
Wed Oct 22 2014, 07:01PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Yes, it seems to be a souped up version of this:

Halbach arrays do work, but are a pain in the ass to make. Iron backing plates work almost as well, and more or less self assemble.

If anyone wants to make one, I can help you out with the design parameters; I warn you, you will need some serious neodymiums aka 'death magnets'.

The conductive sheet needs to be roughly half a centimetre or so thick aluminium.

Incidentally, propulsion is easy to arrange; I don't know why they aren't doing that.

n.b. that video's not mine, but I've been working on similar tech, and I've specifically had to work out how to do that
Artlav
Wed Oct 22 2014, 07:13PM
Artlav Registered Member #8120 Joined: Thu Nov 15 2012, 06:06PM
BigBad wrote ...
Yes, it seems to be a souped up version of this:
Drats.
An i was just warming up to print the second motor to do just that...
Foiled again. :)

Seriously, nicely done - it does actually work that way.
Patrick
Wed Oct 22 2014, 07:55PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
All of these methods revolve around a non ferrous conductive sheet below. so sliding through town is out, youd be limited to prepared areas.

The halbach ideas are usable, but i ask, will they spend more on a gaggle of "hover" boards or the skate park. ALuminum and copper are not cheap, and you'd need a certain minimum thickness a presume?

This could all be done, not saying its impossible, and an entry fee to a park eases any such burden. Especially if these whacky young kiddos' take a cult liking of it. Rob Dyrdek should be in on this...

And once im an old grey man im sure they'll have it all figured out.

1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: