Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need help for HVHF pulse generator using function generator

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Thu Oct 16 2014, 07:22PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I think what the OP has in mind is the fact that spark gaps, for example, radiate EM radiation (usually regarded as wasteful in SGTC's, etc.).

I think he's simply interested in this 'radiated energy', and in experimenting with 'wireless power transfer'. Obviously, the higher the spark energy, and the higher the frequency, the more 'radiant energy' generated.

This is just my guess, from reading between the lines.
teravolt
Thu Oct 16 2014, 09:48PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
well how about a VTTC that makes a radiant field I don't know about far he wants to go 6 ft. dose he want to make EMP
Ash Small
Thu Oct 16 2014, 11:48PM
teravolt wrote ...

well how about a VTTC that makes a radiant field I don't know about far he wants to go 6 ft. dose he want to make EMP

I've no idea, but EMP doesn't usually require high frequency.

Numerous types of TC will suffice to produce radiant energy. It is generally considered to be a waste of energy in SGTC's, though.

I think this thread is one of those where someone has an idea about wanting to learn more about something, but doesn't yet have the required knowledge of the subject to adequately communicate their intentions. wink
rororo74
Fri Oct 17 2014, 08:35PM
rororo74 Registered Member #1124 Joined: Fri Nov 16 2007, 01:42PM
Yes AshSmall,
I am not into EMP. It is radiant energy I am after.
I am also not interested in generating huge lightnings off a TC torroid.
No. The whole idea is to look into radiant energy.
My inspiration....
1. Methernitha/Testatika machine
2. Ed Gray motor
3. Real tesla coils

From my research up until 2009, I saw HVHF being key.
I remember Dr. P.L. has mentioned 20KHz upwards of HV DC exploding through a SG, in one of his presentations.
True or not, I do not know, but this reminds me of the Methernitha/Testatika machine and Ed Gray motor.
(As a side note: A recent find is a channel called ufopolitics who claims that for starters one should begin at low frequencies and slowly move higher until RE starts showing in a circuit. This is a side note because there are no SGs in this setup and maybe there need not be any SGs today.)

So keeping it simple, and since the title of this thread is "Need help....", and since many fellow researchers require a motive and an application, I can more specifically say that the purpose is to investigate the effects of a HVHF exploding SG on a
1. EVGray tube.
2. Permanent Magnet's magnetic field.

I think this is a good place to start.
The people involved in 1,2,3 above were using motors to achieve a 'high' frequency. We do not need motors. We have frequency generators.
If there is something to write home about regarding 1&2 above, I would like to experiment with it.
That's all. Nothing peculiar. No EMP, no wireless transfer. Just a way to go from 20KHz upwards to 1MHz sparking a HV and logging the results. Is there any power generated? Is there more than what was put in? Straight forward stuff people. Maybe a waste of time and money, but hey it's all for science and it is something interesting.

Thanks
PS Do you know anyone who has done anything like this?

dexter
Fri Oct 17 2014, 08:49PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
rororo74 wrote ...

Is there any power generated? Is there more than what was put in? Straight forward stuff people. Maybe a waste of time and money, but hey it's all for science and it is something interesting.

don't want to be rude but the "science" part in all of the above is all about how much "open minded" you are
rororo74
Fri Oct 17 2014, 10:53PM
Hi Dexter,
Yes, no need to be rude. Why should you be? ))
It is what intrigues me and I need some help with it. No harm in that is there?
If you think about it..., is building a TC a more constructive, useful or money making endeavour?
And yes it is scientific research however you want to look at it, because it is an investigation into unknown territory.
And really, if you know of someone who has done it before, or if you know exactly what I am going to encounter please, I am all ears.
Sigurthr
Sat Oct 18 2014, 02:22AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Intended applications aside; not all TCs are about large streamers. Many of us build high power SSTCs that run CW with little to no breakout, but huge EM fields. My largest is 3.5kW. Cost and complexity scales with output power. It isn't hard or expensive to make a 500W desktop CW SSTC with almost no breakout.
rororo74
Sat Oct 18 2014, 05:29AM
cheesey Sigurthr, you get my point!!!
Look at your signature - Amateur, enthusiast, experimenter.
Scientific? Of course. Science is what tries to answer our curiosity whatever that may be.

BTW thanks to @GrantX for his input on the SG and to @teravolt for suggesting the electron tube.
@teravolt- I am not familiar with the electron tube (i must research it) but do you know if the discharge is known to cause these RE effects?
Thanks to @proudmary for the PFN - i will look into it.
Thanks to @AshSmall for trying to read between the lines.
Thanks also to @dexter for pushing me in the direction of other open minded people that did science, Tesla being probably the greatest.

So what is your opinion? Do you have some recommendations?
What type of caps do you think should be used?
How can I push the SG to the highest possible frequency?
Do you have a circuit recommendation - maybe something that you are using? Thanks

Ash Small
Sat Oct 18 2014, 10:44PM
Well, if I wanted a high frequency spark, I'd use a circuit similar to this: Link2 Note the de-q-ing diode in a schematic further down the page.

It's basically the primary circuit from a TC, but you can determine the firing rate of the gap by varying the capacitor and inductor values.

Basically, the tank circuit charges, then 'rings down', but instead of power being transferred to a secondary circuit, all the power is 'radiated' by the spark gap, apart from losses.

It's a starting point if you don't get any other suggestions.

I think you should be able to use your NST, but this circuit will double the output voltage of the NST.

Remember, these circuits are LETHAL several times over, so read up on all the safety stuff on the Wiki.

EDIT: An alternative circuit that should also work is here: Link2
rororo74
Sun Oct 19 2014, 01:46AM
I will look into those. I remember looking into his 4MHz SSTC years ago but of course it is SS - no SG.
Thanks AshSmall
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: