All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My Flash Forge Creator 3D Printer.

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Mon Aug 18 2014, 12:23AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Problem, Problem, Problem !

Ive been electrocuted by my machine. I was making the "small 20mm calibration box", and got it to pop off the table, then it slid to the floor of the work space. the floor of the work space is a normal user accessible surface. one or more screws gave me a jolt, made me weak in the knees, at which point i went to the cement floor, in some pain.

Having measured it with a witness, (lest i stop breathing) it appears to be 85 VAC on at least 3 screws.

a consumer product shouldn't be allowed to do this as per UL and other regulations. I dont know if only mine is defective, or if this is a production problem. The screws run to and hold in the SMPS, but im not sure what they attach to, and want to leave it the way it is, so flashforge can investigate their prodcut.

ill report this to flash forge tonight and see what they say.

1408323073 2431 FT1630 Ul1
Voltmeter between ground prong from a socket and the screw.

1408323073 2431 FT1630 Ul2

1408323073 2431 FT1630 Ul3
This inner volume is meant to have hands and tools in it, so it needs to meet all the safety standards of a consumer product.

1408323073 2431 FT1630 Ul4

Parts made:

1408321514 2431 FT1630 Cube1

1408321514 2431 FT1630 Cube2

1408321514 2431 FT1630 Cube3
IamSmooth
Mon Aug 18 2014, 12:27AM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Now that is definitely not right. I built mine from a kit so I know where all the wires are going. Your going to have to find out which wire is shorting. I guess you were making a partial ground with your body to the floor through your pants. A full grounding would have been worse not to mention this is a fire hazard.
Patrick
Mon Aug 18 2014, 12:45AM
fire hazard, legal hazard, safety hazard...

my flip-flops werent good enough, which surprised me, literally! grounded from screw through upper organs to feet. Im not as young as i used to be, 85 VAC took me right out.

I still cant make files in Autocad and get them into replicator G.
Im using this link at the moment, but the work flow is crippling me. Link2
Im starting to think its autocad thats the problem.

EDIT: ive found the problem, first i was expecting a 1 inch cylinder, when really it showed up as a 1mm cylinder. it was 6 yellow pixels, hence i couldnt see it, till reviewing the .stl file in a text editor.

next, its possible, (perhaps probable) flashforge doesnt realize its the SMPS maker who screwed up...

Carbon_Rod
Mon Aug 18 2014, 07:56AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
First off, almost everyone gets different temperature settings that match their units extrusion rates and sensors. The above normal Head temperature on my unit may be device specific, and may require scaling the object up 4% (in slic3r) to compensate for cooling.
I would recommend slowly increasing the movement velocity until problems occur (positioning error), and back it off by 20% . It is counter intuitive, but sometimes faster means better quality prints as there is less collateral heat-damage to the surfaces/edges.

The work flow we use:
CAD -> STL -> Slic3r -> gcode -> Printrun

The work flow if you want the g-code file done more quickly:
CAD -> STL -> Meshlab -> simplified STL surfaces -> Slic3r -> gcode -> Printrun

I've attached the Slic3r import config for small ABS objects using 0.4mm extruder and 0.25mm layer height. Note the machine specific g-code that auto-resets the printer at the start of a run.
Carbon_Rod
Mon Aug 18 2014, 07:58AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Mime type error for upload attempt 1,
convert txt to ini file for import.
wink

Cheers,
Rod
]config.ini.txt[/file]
Patrick
Mon Aug 18 2014, 08:01AM
Carbon Rod, so far, i think ive got it all in hand, i was once a CNC laser operator, so i know all about the need for upping this, tweeking that, lessing the other. these just need to be learned.

but its the electric shock thing that has me concerned...

edit: thanks for the file, ill look at slic3er, and the other settings.

what i also want to know is how to make thin vertical walls. i have a 0.4mm nozzle (0.15 in) but want 0.040 in thick walls, (1mm), but dont know if fill is 100% with 3 shells?

EDIT: it looks like with my 0.4mm nozzle, i can get a single shell of 0.5mm, at a vertical res of 0.2mm. im also thinking about making I beam like structures, but dont know when or how to use "raft" yet...

1408388751 2431 FT1630 Hex1

1408388751 2431 FT1630 Hex2

IamSmooth
Mon Aug 18 2014, 07:09PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I use rafts when I'm using ABS and the object is more than 1cm above the heated bed. This helps hold the corners down so they don't warp as the top cools and contracts. This will pull the bottom off. I have my raft set to a 3mm perimeter.

ConKbot of Doom
Tue Aug 19 2014, 01:26AM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
The electric shock shouldnt happen, the whole thing runs off of 24 VDC from one beefy power supply. Double check the grounding to make sure its not just a bite from emi cap leakage.
Either that or I'm mis-remembering and it runs off of 48V and you have a stepper motor with shorted insulation at one point and youre getting the push-pull drive from that.

If you start running into problems with it stopping mid print at seemingly random points, its probably EMI issues. Get a clamp on or slip on ferrite and put it on the ribbon cable. I can dig up a mouser part number if needed. I also went hog wild and re-wired it with continuous flex shielded cable for the steppers, but I dont think that was 100% needed.
Patrick
Tue Aug 19 2014, 04:10AM
ConKbot of Doom wrote ...

The electric shock shouldnt happen, the whole thing runs off of 24 VDC from one beefy power supply. Double check the grounding to make sure its not just a bite from emi cap leakage.
Either that or I'm mis-remembering and it runs off of 48V and you have a stepper motor with shorted insulation at one point and youre getting the push-pull drive from that.

If you start running into problems with it stopping mid print at seemingly random points, its probably EMI issues. Get a clamp on or slip on ferrite and put it on the ribbon cable. I can dig up a mouser part number if needed. I also went hog wild and re-wired it with continuous flex shielded cable for the steppers, but I dont think that was 100% needed.
but the screws run directly into the SMPS, and it really looks like its AC from the socket. It sure felt like more than just a stepper kickback.
Steve Conner
Tue Aug 19 2014, 08:11AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If it were me I would open this up and take a look. Assuming there aren't any warranty seals that would prove that you opened it.

You should be able to unscrew the SMPS and look in the screw holes to see if the screws have mashed into anything they shouldn't.

It will be an off-the-shelf SMPS from Mean Well or someone similar, so you can pull up the datasheet for it and there should be a maximum screw penetration quoted. It may even be embossed right into the casing. If the screws penetrate further than that then the makers are idiots and need to be sued quick. wink
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: