Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Brushless motors-how many poles?

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Tue Aug 05 2014, 02:58PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

I can't argue with that, but I also find it non-intuitive that the answer is independent of the number of poles in the stator winding.

The article said that due to a different winding configuration, the stator doesn't generate a rotating magnetic field like in a classical polyphase motor. It is a pulsating magnetic field and the 3 pole pairs act like 3 independent single phase machines. So adding pole pairs (triplets, sextuplets, whatever) to the stator doesn't change the speed, it just increases the torque.

If you compare it to a stepper motor, which is effectively two phase, and, depending on which 'pair' changes determines the direction that it 'cogs', ie 1st phase positive, 2nd phase positive, 1st phase negative second phase negative produces 4 'cogs' in one direction, which moves one stator pole to the next magnet of the same polarity.

In the three phase system, six 'cogging events' are required to move one stator pole onto the next magnet of the same polarity. There are 7 magnets of each polarity in your motor, which requires 42 cogging events (7 x 6) for one complete rotation. There are 6 cogging events per three phase cycle, so it takes 7 cycles (42/6) for one complete rotation.
BigBad
Tue Aug 05 2014, 05:07PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

I can't argue with that, but I also find it non-intuitive that the answer is independent of the number of poles in the stator winding.

The article said that due to a different winding configuration, the stator doesn't generate a rotating magnetic field like in a classical polyphase motor. It is a pulsating magnetic field and the 3 pole pairs act like 3 independent single phase machines. So adding pole pairs (triplets, sextuplets, whatever) to the stator doesn't change the speed, it just increases the torque.

No, it is actually a rotating field; in the animated diagram they're only showing you the moments when the fields line up for simplicity.

Link2

It says:

"Praxis:

The 3-phase field is rotating at 42,000 rpm, the magnets bell and he propeller at 42,000/7=6,000rpm."

They've also got diagrams of the driving voltages above, and they're fairly normal (non sinusoidal) 3-phase waveforms. It's not pulsed.

edit: cool related Moire gif:

Movement

Notice how much faster the banded pattern moves; that's the drive frequency.
Steve Conner
Tue Aug 05 2014, 05:09PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I'm not trying to "design a motor starting from hints", I'm trying to understand the general principle behind the "outrunner" brushless motors that have recently become very popular for quadcopters and the like.

I am more or less satisfied by Dr. Slack's answer, that the number of stator poles doesn't figure in the equation, because the motor simply won't work unless it bears the correct relation to the number of rotor poles. However, the literature on outrunner motors says that a few other ratios work besides 14:12.
BigBad
Tue Aug 05 2014, 05:22PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
It's basically just sampling theory.

Any ratio of poles should work pretty well to reduce cogging provided they have a coprime relationship; in this case 7:6 because at any instant that averages out the different relative positions of the stator poles to the magnet poles around the circle.

Also: of course more poles are better, less poles are worse.
Steve Conner
Tue Aug 05 2014, 05:50PM
OK, I think I get it. In the particular case of the motor with 14 magnets and 12 coils: The stator field rotates at 7f, but it is sampled spatially in 12 places, so the Nyquist frequency is 6f, and there will be an "aliased" field rotating at 1f, which is the speed of the rotor.

(Edit: Maybe I meant 6 places rather than 12, but either way the argument seems reasonable.)

I just need to prove that the rotor magnets will follow this particular alias frequency in preference to the others. I guess by the principle of least action, you could show that the lowest alias frequency will generate the greatest torque.
Ash Small
Tue Aug 05 2014, 06:02PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
BigBad wrote ...

They've also got diagrams of the driving voltages above, and they're fairly normal (non sinusoidal) 3-phase waveforms. It's not pulsed.

It's exactly the same principle as stepper motors, except this has three phases instead of two (to reduce the cogging effect, which is utilised in stepper motors) and is driven with a pretty constant waveform (apart from speed control). The last stepper motor I took apart had 48 poles and 50 magnets, if I recall correctly.
radiotech
Sun Aug 31 2014, 10:33PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
My answer to the original question:

My question is, since the rotor and stator have different pole numbers, which one do you use to calculate the speed? Put another way, if I removed 2 magnets from the above motor (and redistributed the remaining ones evenly) would the synchronous speed stay the same, or would it increase by a factor of 14/12?

Is this:

In a poly phase induction motor, the synchronous speed is f * (n / 2) f= Hz/sec, n = number of poles on the stator This yields revolutions/ second. A 2 pole machine on 50 Hz. runs at 50 revs/second or 3000 revs per min.

The speed is a function of the number of poles on the stator.

This has been the case ever since Tesla made the first practical one.

Steve Conner
Mon Sept 01 2014, 07:27AM
Way to go Radiotech, you just missed the entire point of the thread. The example motor we are using, with a 12 pole stator and 14 pole rotor, spins at one-seventh the speed predicted by that equation.
radiotech
Tue Sept 02 2014, 05:21PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
Way to go Radiotech, you just missed the entire point of the thread. The example motor we are using, with a 12 pole stator and 14 pole rotor, spins at one-seventh the speed predicted by that equation.

I agree with missing the point and later got this information from a book that I used
when stepper motors was a concern. And the page of interest was marked !.

m is number of phases.

For the case where the teeth(n) on stator exceeds rotor, and vice versa, the steps
per revolution(S) is different:

1409678511 2463 FT165141 Steppers B

1409678511 2463 FT165141 Steppers C

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: