Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Topload, effects on efficiency

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Linas
Sun Jul 27 2014, 02:24PM
Linas Registered Member #1143 Joined: Sun Nov 25 2007, 04:55PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

The heating is mostly due to eddy currents I believe. A stainless steel topload would heat more than aluminum one. The conductivity is the key parameter.
we don't care about heating, all we care that we have short circuit on top of secondary.

If some one have LCR with Q option, just measure primary Q, add toroid at hight it should be, and do Q measurement again. I believe Q will be lower, but by how much ?
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jul 27 2014, 02:30PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I'd say if the topload is highly conductive, the Q will not drop that much. On my 7kW CW SSTC the toroid made from aluminum ducting got warm, dissipating maybe 20W by guess. On my 1.5kW VTTC the topload made from paint can lid (so some generic steel) gets very hot, but its smaller, again dissipating maybe 20 watts. I believe if it was made from aluminum, it would heat less (and so drop the Q less).
Linas
Sun Jul 27 2014, 02:46PM

I'd say if the topload is highly conductive, the Q will not drop that much. On my 7kW CW SSTC the toroid made from aluminum ducting got warm, dissipating maybe 20W by guess. On my 1.5kW VTTC the topload made from paint can lid (so some generic steel) gets very hot, but its smaller, again dissipating maybe 20 watts. I believe if it was made from aluminum, it would heat less (and so drop the Q less).
As far as i understand, it doesn't matter with what you make short, Q will go down. Look, primary is made from 2-6 turns, bus voltage is 300Vdc, so you can expect like 50V, and you don't need low resistance to get it shorted
And answer, use more conductive material to get low heat for me does not make scense, we care about efficiency of energy transfer, not energy transfer for circular currents inside toroid, what does nothing , only degrades performance
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jul 27 2014, 03:02PM
Nope, you don't get it. The topload diverts the magnetic field, you can imagine it as a shorted secondary winding of a transformer with a large leakage inductance.

The current through the topload is given (at a given operating point of your coil). If you increase the resistivity, the dissipation in the topload goes up (P~IIR) and so your Q goes down. If the topload was superconductive, it would not dissipate anything and won't do anything to your Q.
Linas
Sun Jul 27 2014, 08:01PM

Nope, you don't get it. The topload diverts the magnetic field, you can imagine it as a shorted secondary winding of a transformer with a large leakage inductance.

The current through the topload is given (at a given operating point of your coil). If you increase the resistivity, the dissipation in the topload goes up (P~IIR) and so your Q goes down. If the topload was superconductive, it would not dissipate anything and won't do anything to your Q.
Ok, now i get what you are saying, for me DRSSTC looks more like simple tranformer with load on very long rod.
I have simple idea for test. if some one has DRSSTC without secondary, just hanging top-load where it should be with respect to primary. and simple single turn voltage should be measured as function of distance. Same measurement should be made without topload.
If no one will do this, i will make it myself as soon as i get my bridge working
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jul 27 2014, 08:30PM
Yes that could be an interesting measurement, but I guess it could be modelled as well by some finite element method (maybe the simple FEMM software can do this).
Rod-on
Thu Aug 07 2014, 11:05PM
Rod-on Registered Member #6541 Joined: Sun Sept 09 2012, 05:01AM
What is the best shape for the top load? I"m new to this and am doing my research. I've seen round balls, donut shaped ones , ones made from curled copper pipe, slotted ones and some layered on top of others. What is the most efficient shape for the top load?
Steve Conner
Fri Aug 08 2014, 08:01AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The donut (toroid) shape is best. It encourages the sparks to travel outwards away from the coil. With a sphere, they tend to go downwards and strike the primary more than you would like.

A large toroid stacked on top of a smaller one is a slight improvement.

From an efficiency point of view it doesn't really seem to matter whether you use a solid metal toroid, or a piece of flexible ducting bent round into a ring, or a skeleton frame made out of pipes, they all work much the same. However, if you are wanting to run the coil without a breakout point, you'll find that a smooth surface gives a single large streamer that wanders around the topload, whereas a rough one can generate several streamers.
Uspring
Fri Aug 08 2014, 09:59AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
I found running a DRSSTC without breakout point adventurous. Nothing happened until the variac was close to max and then suddenly the arc lashed out in an unpredictable direction.

Steve Conner
Fri Aug 08 2014, 10:34AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, hardly anyone uses a DRSSTC without a breakout point. You have huge arcs flying around next to sensitive electronics so it is good to have as much control over the direction of them as you can.

When I tried it with Mjollnir, it would break out from the topload in a random direction about half of the time. The other half of the time, it flashed over down the inside of the secondary. frown

My AG2 coil works happily without a breakout and produces 2 or 3 streamers at once.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: