All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Strike target grounding

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
fungus
Thu Jun 19 2014, 03:58PM
fungus Registered Member #46251 Joined: Sat May 10 2014, 12:55PM
fungus wrote ...

Steve Conner wrote ...

To do that, you want to connect the strike target to a large metal object that has lots of capacitance to its surroundings.

I've read about people using metal tea-trays for this...

Assuming I connect everything to mains ground (ie. base of secondary, base of strike target, tea tray): Does the tea-tray act as a sort of capacitor to smooth out the spikes going into the mains wires?

Would it be better for the neighbors if I connect the strike target to one end of the tea tray and the other end to mains ground? (ie. the tray is between the target and the mains wires).
fungus
Thu Jun 19 2014, 07:52PM
I just noticed that one of my monitors flickers on/off when I give it a blast.

That monitor flickers when you plug other stuff in as well. It's pretty sensitive.
Steve Conner
Fri Jun 20 2014, 10:06AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
fungus wrote ...

Assuming I connect everything to mains ground (ie. base of secondary, base of strike target, tea tray): Does the tea-tray act as a sort of capacitor to smooth out the spikes going into the mains wires?

Would it be better for the neighbors if I connect the strike target to one end of the tea tray and the other end to mains ground? (ie. the tray is between the target and the mains wires).

Yes that's exactly it, though something bigger than a tea tray would be preferable. :/

I don't think the exact order of the connections makes much of a difference. Most of the noise from a Tesla coil is in the 10s of MHz, where the tea tray is small compared to a wavelength.

Recently there has been talk of an inductively loaded breakout point. Basically putting a tiny Tesla coil on top of your main coil. The inductance acts as a buffer between the topload capacitance and any arcs to ground, which significantly reduces the amount of HF noise generated. It is still experimental but seems to give good results.
fungus
Sun Jun 22 2014, 11:14AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Yes that's exactly it, though something bigger than a tea tray would be preferable. :/

I don't think the exact order of the connections makes much of a difference. Most of the noise from a Tesla coil is in the 10s of MHz, where the tea tray is small compared to a wavelength.

One wave of light would be 30m at that frequency. Electricity is a bit slower...but yeah, a 30m tea tray would be difficult to find/install.

So what counts? The total mass of metal? Capacitance is usually about surface area. I don't have a lot of space ... I guess I could stack a couple of tea trays on top of each other if it helps.

Steve Conner wrote ...

Recently there has been talk of an inductively loaded breakout point. Basically putting a tiny Tesla coil on top of your main coil. The inductance acts as a buffer between the topload capacitance and any arcs to ground,

Is there a thread on this subject?

How about a coil of wire between the strike target and the tea tray to take the edge off the pulses? (Or between the tea tray and mains ground?) I've got some magnet wire left, I could wind some around a piece of pipe.

I know it's a lot of questions but I don't really have a feel for this stuff and no way of measuring anything.

fungus
Sun Jun 22 2014, 08:41PM
fungus wrote ...

How about a coil of wire between the strike target and the tea tray to take the edge off the pulses? (Or between the tea tray and mains ground?) I've got some magnet wire left, I could wind some around a piece of pipe.

Or would it need a ferrite...?

fungus
Mon Jun 23 2014, 02:30PM
Anybody have any ideas? Right now it's freaking out everything in the room when it runs.

My mouse locks up, the monitor flickers, the Arduino has to be unplugged and plugged in again. Not good.

I've tried attacking a large metal tray to the wire. I've put lots of ferrite on the wire from target to GND, they might have helped a bit...but not much.

Without the ground connection target the sparks are leaping off all over the place after they hit the target. I already set my table on fire.

Steve Conner
Mon Jun 23 2014, 03:32PM
fungus wrote ...

My mouse locks up, the monitor flickers, the Arduino has to be unplugged and plugged in again. Not good... I already set my table on fire.

This is more or less what I'd expect from running a DRSSTC on a table in an apartment. smile
fungus
Mon Jun 23 2014, 04:06PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

This is more or less what I'd expect from running a DRSSTC on a table in an apartment. smile

cry

I'm not even making big sparks yet. It's on minimal power and a 1" gap.
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 23 2014, 06:50PM
The best thing you can do is lose the strike target and just make streamers to air. A 1" gap is actually worse than a larger one, as a shorter gap generates more high frequency EMI.
fungus
Mon Jun 23 2014, 07:38PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

The best thing you can do is lose the strike target and just make streamers to air.

I think you may be right.

I just gave it a blast at full power with no strike target and nearly jumped out of my skin. The streamers were scarily long, I didn't even tune the primary yet...

I admit I cowered.

But ... nothing in the room flickered or glitched. cheesey That definitely seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the help!

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: