Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

USB to MIDI

Move Thread LAN_403
Goodchild
Mon May 05 2014, 11:30PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Bushman wrote ...

Thanks Eric, I am using the Mini MIDI/DR controller from Paul Slawinski which does the job. Then between the computer and the controller I have the dreaded USB cable Trying to picture your setup and how it is different from what I am doing?

I can not speculate on problems of hardware built by others, however my design has no need for USB to MIDI converters. I plug my controller into the computer via USB directly and it shows up as a HID MIDI device.

The MIDI serial is confined to the PCB inside the metal case making it very noise immune. Only the USB link is external, which being fully differential is not bothered by the coils EMI, I have yet to get this controller to hang.

14138015163 81b38dafa9 Z

As seen above I have two USB ports, one is for MIDI IO the other is for programming/data.

Partly assembled board, for some reason I can't find any photos of a fully assembled board.
14114840482 5075663470 Z

This board also has charge management built onto it for single cell LiPo batteries. Also because this is a fully USB compliant device it can be powered from the USB bus directly, as well as charge LiPos.

The PCB and concept behind this controller I plan to distribute under the share alike non-commercial licence in the future.
14114935492 E21ce1d167 T
Graham Armitage
Tue May 06 2014, 12:50AM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Wow - very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing the photos. Does sound like a solid solution and makes a lot of sense. probably the only guaranteed method to solve the problem.
Hydron
Tue May 06 2014, 02:14AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
The specific issue with these midi controllers is likely due to poor design, so there are probably other solutions too, but Eric's looks like a particularly classy way to do it.

Note that MIDI inputs should be opto-isolated (no gavlanic connection for either ground or signal) by specification, so no ground loops or anything - the USB-MIDI converter should be able to deal with EMI by clamping any induced voltages, but probably doesn't cos it's cheap chinese made garbage. If done inside the equipment like Eric's then you don't need to worry about any of this, as it doesn't pick up anything anyway.

USB is only mostly differential by the way, there are single ended reset and end-of-packet states (both lines low, see Link2, but when done well should be okay as long as it doesn't get too close. USB definitely causes issues in some circumstances, and is nowhere near as EMI immune as stuff like ethernet, so should always be regarded as suspect when things aren't behaving as expected around a tesla coil.

Edit: Looks like nice work Eric! Looking forward to having a look at the design if/when you release it.
Goodchild
Tue May 06 2014, 02:32AM
Hydron wrote ...

The specific issue with these midi controllers is likely due to poor design, so there are probably other solutions too, but Eric's looks like a particularly classy way to do it.

Note that MIDI inputs should be opto-isolated (no gavlanic connection for either ground or signal) by specification, so no ground loops or anything - the USB-MIDI converter should be able to deal with EMI by clamping any induced voltages, but probably doesn't cos it's cheap chinese made garbage. If done inside the equipment like Eric's then you don't need to worry about any of this, as it doesn't pick up anything anyway.

USB is only mostly differential by the way, there are single ended reset and end-of-packet states (both lines low, see Link2, but when done well should be okay as long as it doesn't get too close. USB definitely causes issues in some circumstances, and is nowhere near as EMI immune as stuff like ethernet, so should always be regarded as suspect when things aren't behaving as expected around a tesla coil.

Edit: Looks like nice work Eric! Looking forward to having a look at the design if/when you release it.

Thanks for the kind words!

Part of the problem with those cheapo china made USB-MIDI things is the way they handle termination of the ground and shield on both the USB and the MIDI. I have seen it range from tied together to nothing connected with everything left floating.

USB standards don't really spec any defined way to terminate the shielding on USB slaves, as a result every manufacture handles it differently. I handled it by tying it to chassis ground, while also terminating chassis to DGND in a single location. This keeps the chassis from floating but helps prevent ground loops in the shield/GND line in the USB cable.

In addition filtering is employed on the USB data lines before being fed to the chassis grounded USB transceiver.

EDIT I have always been torn on how to handle the shield with MIDI, because it's data lines should be isolated and your DGND should also tie to chassis in at least one point to prevent a voltage from building up on the chassis. However if this is done, typically this makes your galvanic isolating opto pointless, because USB to MIDI converters typically tie their shield to their local ground.
Steve Conner
Tue May 06 2014, 08:00AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I think optoisolators are pointless for actual galvanic isolation around Tesla coils. Any half decent Tesla coil should be able to induce enough voltage in its surroundings to break an optoisolator down. When I've used them, it's in the way Eric described, with both sides grounded to more or less the same ground. In this configuration the opto basically acts as a sort of common-mode choke, protects sensitive logic from overvoltages, and also strips out high frequency spikes in the differential mode due to its slow response time.
Graham Armitage
Sun Feb 15 2015, 10:39PM
I wanted to resurrect this thread as I was still having trouble with the nasty USB MIDI problem. I figured that sending the MIDI signal over ethernet would solve that problem. So I thought I would give it a try. The core of the solution is an ethernet shield on an arduino microprocessor. I hooked up an old wireless router that the arduino connected to via a patch cable. The laptop plays the midi signal via an rtpMIDI port (a virtual ethernet port) that is then sent wireless to the router. So no physical connection between laptop and MIDI controllers.

The arduino code is essentially running AppleMIDI library and when it sees a noteOn command I output the same note to the MIDI port which connects to the regular MIDI controller. Same for a noteOff. Essentially passing the ethernet MIDI stream from the laptop to the hardwired MIDI port. It allows me to run the laptop from anywhere safe via the wifi. There may be more elegant ways to do this, but it works and has eliminated my hanging note problem from the USB connection. Total cost was for an Arduino, ethernet shield, aluminum project box and some LEDs. Code was pretty simple.

One cool benefit is that now I can theoretically operate the coil from anywhere on the LAN, or open it up and play from anywhere in the world smile More geeky than practical.

Hope this provides an alternative to anyone else experiencing similar problems with the USB-MIDI.

Ethernet
Goodchild
Tue Feb 17 2015, 02:11PM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

I wanted to resurrect this thread as I was still having trouble with the nasty USB MIDI problem. I figured that sending the MIDI signal over ethernet would solve that problem. So I thought I would give it a try. The core of the solution is an ethernet shield on an arduino microprocessor. I hooked up an old wireless router that the arduino connected to via a patch cable. The laptop plays the midi signal via an rtpMIDI port (a virtual ethernet port) that is then sent wireless to the router. So no physical connection between laptop and MIDI controllers.

The arduino code is essentially running AppleMIDI library and when it sees a noteOn command I output the same note to the MIDI port which connects to the regular MIDI controller. Same for a noteOff. Essentially passing the ethernet MIDI stream from the laptop to the hardwired MIDI port. It allows me to run the laptop from anywhere safe via the wifi. There may be more elegant ways to do this, but it works and has eliminated my hanging note problem from the USB connection. Total cost was for an Arduino, ethernet shield, aluminum project box and some LEDs. Code was pretty simple.

One cool benefit is that now I can theoretically operate the coil from anywhere on the LAN, or open it up and play from anywhere in the world smile More geeky than practical.

Hope this provides an alternative to anyone else experiencing similar problems with the USB-MIDI.

Ethernet

Beware the latency that you will be adding with the Apple MIDI over ethernet protocol. I have used it before and it has a lot of latency.

I still attest to doing direct USB to MIDI in the microprocessor. It's more work upfront, because of the need for a micro that can has USB and the need to write the embedded MIDI USB driver. However it's fare worth the investment in time.
Graham Armitage
Tue Feb 17 2015, 08:56PM
I have not noticed much latency at all. As long as the latency is consistent, then a delay between the computer generating the MIDI signal and the Tesla actually playing it, doesn't bother me too much. It could be a problem when splitting channels between audio device and the DR. That could be corrected by adding latency into the audio channels, but it starts getting messy trying to sync the two - been there frown

I definitely do prefer your approach of USB directly to the micro. Maybe I will try that next.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: