All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Large DRSSTC: choosing secondary impedance

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Wed Apr 23 2014, 03:57PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I recommended the "magic 50k" years ago. I worked it out from Terry Fritz's streamer loading models, and the assumption of a loaded Q of 10. It also agreed with the better performing coils at that time.
Hydron
Thu Apr 24 2014, 01:40AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Eric - sounds like testing Arc Attack's inductive breakout point idea might be worthwhile if you're burning up secondaries too.

I may be able to do some arc measurements to try and increase the understanding of what happens with ground strikes etc. I've got a PC based scope which can talk over wifi, so should be able to battery power it and stick it on the topload to get realtime data on arc impedance. It also has a few megasamples of segmentable memory, which is handy to capture a good burst.

No guarantees if/when I can do any measurement, and how applicable it would be to larger coils than my 160x700mm, but it's certainly an interesting topic.
Mads Barnkob
Thu Apr 24 2014, 09:23AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Hydron wrote ...

Eric - sounds like testing Arc Attack's inductive breakout point idea might be worthwhile if you're burning up secondaries too.

I may be able to do some arc measurements to try and increase the understanding of what happens with ground strikes etc. I've got a PC based scope which can talk over wifi, so should be able to battery power it and stick it on the topload to get realtime data on arc impedance. It also has a few megasamples of segmentable memory, which is handy to capture a good burst.

No guarantees if/when I can do any measurement, and how applicable it would be to larger coils than my 160x700mm, but it's certainly an interesting topic.

This is a great topic, my own secondary for my large DRSSTC is around 56K.

Is there any online documention to arc attacks inductive break out point, searching on google did not turn anything up for me since its so generic words.
Uspring
Thu Apr 24 2014, 09:35AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Steve Conner wrote:
I recommended the "magic 50k" years ago. I worked it out from Terry Fritz's streamer loading models, and the assumption of a loaded Q of 10. It also agreed with the better performing coils at that time.
Can you give some details on your thoughts at that time? I wonder if this rule can be stretched by other design parameters such as primary inductance, frequency, coupling, choice of poles, high power versus low power etc.

Hydron wrote:
I'd be very interested in hearing about these kinds of measurements. I've done some of these with a mini DSO on top of the coil but have never looked at ground strikes.
Kizmo
Thu Apr 24 2014, 10:25AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Goodchild wrote ...

To my point, ever sense we have started using a counterpoise ground I have noticed that the coil is more prone to flashing over and burring up secondareis. I thought this was just a coincidence but your guy’s comments have made me think otherwise.

The counterpoise ground helps to reduce radiated interference (lower impedance path to ground) however could it be a problem when dealing with ground strikes?
Now this is even more interesting, this run was first with both counterpoise ground (1x2m metal mesh on ground) and ground rods. It may or may not have something to do with this..
Steve Conner
Thu Apr 24 2014, 10:28AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It is interesting indeed! smile Maybe a poor, high impedance ground absorbs the "whiplash" instead of reflecting it.
Hydron
Thu Apr 24 2014, 10:52AM
Kizmo wrote ...

Goodchild wrote ...

To my point, ever sense we have started using a counterpoise ground I have noticed that the coil is more prone to flashing over and burring up secondareis. I thought this was just a coincidence but your guy’s comments have made me think otherwise.

The counterpoise ground helps to reduce radiated interference (lower impedance path to ground) however could it be a problem when dealing with ground strikes?
Now this is even more interesting, this run was first with both counterpoise ground (1x2m metal mesh on ground) and ground rods. It may or may not have something to do with this..

These question are why I'm gonna have a crack at some measurements - topload measurements been done before, but apparently on more of a single-shot basis, rather than looking at a burst, or ground strikes vs normal streamer hits etc. Might have to rig up a counterpoise and include that too. My advantage in this case is that I can grab the data while running the coil, rather than set up a mini DSO for a single capture.

I'm about to do some testing on getting 5.8GHz wifi through a faraday shield (~5cm holes should do the trick), if that works then I'll set up the coil tomorrow and have a go at getting real data. I think I'll try sticking the router only on the topload first though, really don't want to pop the scope if there is an issue!

Edit:
Steve Conner wrote ...

It is interesting indeed! smile Maybe a poor, high impedance ground absorbs the "whiplash" instead of reflecting it.
Maybe it's time for someone to measure ground impedance too! (at TC frequencies obviously). If it turns out to be anywhere near the secondary impedance then the increased-secondary-destruction-with-counterpoise phenomenon would make a lot of sense, as a terminated transmission line wouldn't have a big reflected wave causing high voltage at the bottom of the secondary.
Mads Barnkob
Thu Apr 24 2014, 11:34AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Hydron wrote ...

Maybe it's time for someone to measure ground impedance too! (at TC frequencies obviously). If it turns out to be anywhere near the secondary impedance then the increased-secondary-destruction-with-counterpoise phenomenon would make a lot of sense, as a terminated transmission line wouldn't have a big reflected wave causing high voltage at the bottom of the secondary.

Here are some interesting papers on earth resistance, impedance, skin depth etc:
Theory but some missing pictures:
Link2

Lots of practical measurements and data in tables for TC frequencies Link2 - seems like a newer version of the same: Link2

Seems similar as the above, but in Italian: Link2

Another ground vs lightning study: Link2,d.bGQ&cad=rja

Measurements by a HAM operator: Link2
Uspring
Thu Apr 24 2014, 11:39AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
I've used Wards values from Link2
They amount to about 0.1pF/cm and 2.6mH/cm for his secondary. From the transmission line equations that results in

v=1/sqrt(L*C) i.e. about 600km/s,

which is about what he gets. For a perfect termination of pulses running down the secondary you need a resistance of

R=sqrt(L/C) i.e. about 160k

This is seriously too large, considering the several amps that are flowing out of the base. The only way to achieve proper termination is to do it only for high frequencies, i.e. an induction at the base essentially shortcutting TC frequencies paralled by a resistor.
I wouldn't expect a whiplash anyway, since a good grounding of the base would just reflect the pulse without increasing the amplitude.

Hydron
Thu Apr 24 2014, 12:15PM
Yeah, 160k is way too big. Just did a quick sweep of the ground in my (fairly damp) back yard, between a shallow spike (~5cm) and either a deeper spike a couple of meters away (still not very deep, only about 30cm) or mains earth, or both. Technique was essentially the same as the HAM operator did in Mads Barnkob's last link (at a quick glance, results look very similar too, despite very different distance). Quick answer: about 1k ohm. Results are below, the file names indicate which test is which:

Between Shallow And Deep Spikes  Between Shallow Spike And Mains Earth  Between Shallow Spike And Deep Spike  Mains Earth Parallel

As for the transmission line amplitude stuff, you can indeed get a voltage increase of 2x upon reflection, but only for an _open_ circuit transmission line, a short circuit should reflect the inverse of the incident wave (adds up to 0 at the short). I haven't though too hard (let alone done any modelling) about the applicability of TL theory to the secondary though - might be looking at this completely incorrectly.
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: