Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SGTC underperforming, suspecting sparkgap

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Pcnerd
Sat May 17 2014, 01:44PM
Pcnerd Registered Member #88 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:37PM
Thanks for the filter heads up, meant to reconnect that (we undid it on purpose).

The primary acrilic design doesn't really allow for higher coupling, but maybe that'll change in the future.

Got myself a vacuum motor made synchronous (2 3A diodes) which runs nicely at 50volts, but the "outer" coils (cage?) do get quit warm, and I have no experience with these motor types to know what warm and what to warm is. The motor draws 4A at 50 volts and is a 1200watt vacuum cleaner motor. I've got a short movie of it running synchronously here:
Link2
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat May 17 2014, 04:01PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Vacuum motors are designed such that the air the motor engulfs, also acts to cool the motor! They are not designed to be run without forced air cooling.
Pcnerd
Sat May 17 2014, 04:26PM
That explains, I'll see if I can make it as such it will cool itself, still interesting that it gets this hot even with only 200 of the 1200watts it is rated for going in.

I mounted a fan and read on Link2 that it might get uptil 80 degrees without issues (hope the epoxy around my diodes do not melt at that point), so I will be running a lengthy temperature test as soon as the motor is cooled down again to room temp.
Pcnerd
Tue May 20 2014, 06:15PM
So far so good, I've bolted on a small pc-fan which was able to keep the motor below 50 degrees for 10 minutes. Next step is to decently mount it, plus the electrode holder on the shaft and fitting it in the original design (Luckily I can keep the part that holds the electrodes. I'll keep you posted.
Pcnerd
Sat Sept 06 2014, 02:01PM
It's been a long time, but I got the new setup tested today and I'm satisfied with the result, the TC is probably not tuned very well but she runs stable and streamers so far are not bad. I made a video to show:
Link2

We're planning on some further tuning and creating the rest of the acryillic base to make it a transportable product that looks nice :).
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Sept 06 2014, 05:02PM
Okay, you're still missing your single breakout point.
Your toroid might be a bit small, but try the single breakout point because it forces all the little streamers into a single large streamer.

That's how small systems can be made to seem big!
Pcnerd
Sat Sept 06 2014, 05:46PM
As soon as my NAS is finished repairing it's raid setup (apparently one failed during a TC run) and I'm able to shut it down I'm gonna try that. I'm wondering if that happened through the net and I could install some filter or just by the megnatic field (since the NAS is somewhat close) and I need to start running my TC elsewhere instead of in my room ;).
Pcnerd
Sun Sept 07 2014, 10:53AM
With a single breakout point I still get other breakouts, but the performance does not look that bad, purple streamers with decent length, a bit thin though:
Link2

next up: creating the rest of the acryllic base, wil keep you posted (here or in some showoff topic) when it is finished :).
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Sept 07 2014, 03:44PM
Yea it's looking better though!

I think you might need a bigger toroid.

I put a pretty decent sized toroid on mine a long time ago and got decent results. It's the second half of the video.
Link2
loneoceans
Mon Sept 08 2014, 07:12AM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Great job getting it working :) Everything seems to be working as expected. If you really want bigger sparks, more power is the way to go. NSTs parallel quite well, and if you can double your input power from the current ~375W that you have, you'll get much better output. :) For now, I think you could try to smooth out your toroid a bit more to prevent the side-breakouts.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: