All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Experimentonomen quits class d

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 24 2013, 10:43AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hard to say if it's worse or better than the previous one, since you deleted the previous one and I can't remember what it looked like. tongue

Putting all the terminals together on one side is good, it reduces the common-mode ground impedance.

To get the full benefit of this low ground impedance, add some filters to the power rails and speaker output, placed right next to the terminals, with their grounds close together. I like the little 3-terminal disc capacitors with built-in ferrite beads, for example the DSS6 series from Murata. Link2 Surface mount versions are available with even lower stray inductance.

If you don't like the thought of a ceramic disc cap on the speaker output, you could make a discrete LC filter with a film capacitor.
Experimentonomen
Mon Jun 24 2013, 11:15AM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
Something like this ? Link2
Experimentonomen
Mon Jun 24 2013, 12:54PM
Added more caps everywhere: Link2
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 24 2013, 01:02PM
Try to get the ground terminals of your little SMT capacitors closer to the ground spade terminals (X1 and X5). They are on a "spur" of groundplane that will have a fair amount of inductance. Maybe add some groundplane to the top layer and stitch it down to the caps with vias.

Also consider adding a second inductor to the speaker output line, to help the filter cap do its job. A ferrite bead like L2 and L3 would do. If you're worried about distortion from the ferrite, maybe even use an air cored inductor of a few turns. You may have to relocate the feedback tap before this extra inductor, or it may work fine since the corner frequency of the second filter will be so much higher than the first one, it probably won't add much excess phase to the loop.

Finally I suggest making room for a series RC snubber from the switching node to ground. This will help suppress the VHF ringing you usually see here, which is probably what clobbers FM reception. You don't have to populate it. Use a SMT capacitor and 1210 size SMT resistor to minimise inductance.
Experimentonomen
Mon Jun 24 2013, 01:32PM
I had no problems what so ever on the FM band , all stations i can get here normally showed up unchanged with the amp modules running right next to the tuner.

My problems are on the AM band at second and third harmonic of the switching frequency(around 600-700kHz and 1-1.2MHz) The tuner does not see the fundamental at 300-400kHz, only the first few harmonics which show up as full strenght signal AM stations filled with loud buzz and noise and slight very distorted hint of the music played.

This within a one meter radius, after that the signal meter on the tuner drops to zero and goes quiet within a few centimeters.
Experimentonomen
Mon Jun 24 2013, 02:03PM
Redid the caps at the power inputs alittle: Link2
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 24 2013, 02:58PM
Looks good smile
Experimentonomen
Mon Jun 24 2013, 03:19PM
Trying alittle more: Link2

But im fairly sure this will not be any better than the previous version that interfered with AM reception.

TBH im not sure im actually willing to sink any more money into further boards and components only to find out this board produces as much AM garbage as the previous version, however i have a hunch that maybe its the fact that i ran the power traces on eather side of the board that could maybe be a reason for the EMI that that could possibly maybe create some form of a antenna that having the power traces run alongside each other on the same side of the board doesent.

I wish i had any kinda clue what a low impedance ground plane would look like.
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 24 2013, 03:33PM
A low impedance ground plane looks like an unbroken sea of copper with as few gaps in it for tracking as possible. smile

AM radio really is a hard test to pass. Even if your PCB layout was perfect, the inductor could be radiating enough leakage flux for an AM radio to pick up at 1m. Mounting the module inside a metal box would probably help even without changing the PCB.

Running both power traces round the same side would certainly help.
Experimentonomen
Mon Jun 24 2013, 03:45PM
I think im gonna take all of the yet unpopulated boards, pack them in a cardboard box with some crumpled up news paper, fo out somewhere where theres no ppl around and burn the crap.

The boards for the all discrete version arrived today but as they have the power traces running on either side of the board, they will surely be the same transmitters as the ic based version i have the EMI problems with, so im not even gonna bother wasting components to try one out.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: