Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

An arc measurement

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Uspring
Mon May 20 2013, 09:28AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Dex, the way you phrase this it sounds more like an assumption about a spark being like a wire than a measurement. How would you measure the actual secondary resonant frequency during operation? Not that this can't be done, I've posted about this some time ago, but it requires measuring primary and secondary currents and phases inbetween. Very complicated.

The Elektrum data does indeed show not very much capacitance. I'd guess the top capacitance to be about 100pF. The current going into the arc is about 10% of that going into the top, so arc capacitance would be at most 10pF.

Burst length of the Elektrum is relatively short and the operating frequency much lower, so it needs a much higher voltage to grow long sparks. High voltage and low arc current amount to low arc capacitance.
The Elektrum arc is not anywhere near its equilibrium state. I think, that if you could sustain the million volts during the burst for say 1 ms, you'd get large capacitances and much longer arcs.
dex
Mon May 20 2013, 09:38AM
dex Registered Member #2566 Joined: Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:52PM
Uspring wrote ...

The Elektrum data does indeed show not very much capacitance. I'd guess the top capacitance to be about 100pF. The current going into the arc is about 10% of that going into the top, so arc capacitance would be at most 10pF.

so,you really think that capacity of a gigantic 30' long sgtc spark is comparable with capacity of a 3' long drsstc spark? or even smaler?
lol..

Uspring
Mon May 20 2013, 11:36AM
Steve Conner wrote:
I think the main reason is that DRSSTCs make streamers that are bigger compared to the secondary length, than any SGTC ever did while it was being measured.
I believe, that in DRSSTCs and particularly QCW ones, secondary sizes can be small due to the relatively low voltages they need for long arcs. Low voltages can produce long arcs, given enough burst length. Probably also high frequencies reduce voltage requirements.

Dex wrote:
so,you really think that capacity of a gigantic 30' long sgtc spark is comparable with capacity of a 3' long drsstc spark? or even smaler?
You need to distinguish between the whole capacitance of e.g. a 30' wire and that actually seen by the coil. In a simple model an arc looks like a resistor/capacitor series circuit. The resistor will shield much of the capacitance. A large resistor will make the arc look mostly like a resistive load. And resistances will be large for short bursts, since the arc does not have enough time to accumulate heat and become very conductive.
The capacitances I was talking about were thought to be directly parallel to the top load. I chose to specify them in this way, since that value is the relevant one for detuning.

Steve Ward
Sat Aug 10 2013, 05:27AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Udo, Wonderful measurements! Especially because you get very similar R/C values to what ive been plugging into my DRSSTC models to look at tuning and driving methods. I arrived at my numbers by doing steady-state measurements of primary current, secondary current and secondary voltage and adjusting the streamer lumped RC to get the model to settle out at the same amplitudes for all these measurements. My QCW arc models had to get resistance down to ~20k ohms and series capacitance of 20pF for a 6 foot spark (with maybe 1 or 2 branches in it). "Transient" arcs modeled well with 80k+15p for about 40" max arc length even but they are highly branched sparks.
Uspring
Sat Aug 10 2013, 02:40PM
I'm glad to hear, that you could confirm these measurements.
Can you tell us, at what frequencies the QCW and transient measurements were made? For settled arcs, I believe very much in Conners hungry streamer model, which states that R is approximately 1/(2*pi*f*C), i.e. 45 degrees phase shift between arc voltage and current. My measurements indicate a somewhat larger C during arc growth.

HV Enthusiast
Sun Aug 11 2013, 07:02PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Isn't the secondary arc current the same current that is flowing in the RF ground of the secondary?

If you look at the path of current, from RF ground, to secondary coil, to toroid, to break-out, neglecting any stray losses, it should be the same current, right?

I was always under the understanding that the RF ground current would be the same as through a grounded current strike from the topload.

Is my thinking wrong on that one?
Steve Conner
Sun Aug 11 2013, 09:38PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The current that goes into the bottom of the secondary is (to a first approximation) the same as what comes out of the top into the toroid. That current splits two ways into conduction current in the streamer root, and displacement current in the toroid-to-ground capacitance. The whole point of Uspring's experiment is to measure these two currents separately.
HV Enthusiast
Sun Aug 11 2013, 09:40PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

The current that goes into the bottom of the secondary is (to a first approximation) the same as what comes out of the top into the toroid. That current splits two ways into conduction current in the streamer root, and displacement current in the toroid-to-ground capacitance. The whole point of Uspring's experiment is to measure these two currents separately.

And i'm guessing the displacement current may not be current that is actually visible? Just leakage due to the stray capacitance between toroid and ground?
Steve Ward
Mon Aug 12 2013, 03:05AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
And i'm guessing the displacement current may not be current that is actually visible? Just leakage due to the stray capacitance between toroid and ground?

Visible? You mean, plasma?

Its important to point out where this secondary base current is measured, and that would be between the bottom winding of the secondary coil and your RF earth connection. This current will reflect the circuit current of the secondary. If you arent producing sparks, then nearly all of this base current is simply charging the coils capacitance (MOST of the capacitance is from toroid to ground, only a small fraction of it is internal to the winding itself). Also, considering the impedance of a toroid at Fres, it will take many amps of charging current for most TC designs to get the right voltage out. The toroid current is probably higher than the average streamer current in most tesla coils. It might seem like a waste, but that is a requirement for resonance and high Q.

Uspring
Mon Aug 12 2013, 09:35AM
Steve Conner wrote:
Exactly, and thanks to Greg Leyh for that idea.
Trying to get an estimate of secondary voltage by measuring secondary base current has 2 problems. One is, that this current does not come out fully at the top to charge the toroid, since the secondary winding has a capacitance of its own. The other is, that a significant part of the current coming out of the top doesn't charge the toroid but goes into the arc.
I remember a discussion on pupman set off by a measurement of Steve Ward, where he could not reconcile the secondary base current with the top voltages, which he obtained differently. I believe the reasons for that are just these problems.

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: