Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Unidentified oscilloscope Please help

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
testtest
Sun Mar 10 2013, 10:01PM
testtest Registered Member #3271 Joined: Mon Oct 04 2010, 02:29AM
You might find this link useful then:

Link2

If you do remove the cover, power off, keep in mind the high voltages present around the CRT that can still be present and the CRT is under vacuum. Covers should slide effortlessly. Just look for markings and clues.

The one Wolfram linked to does look like it is from the same family. Note the model number over the CRT that does seem to be missing on yours. At least worth a Google search to try to find your exact model.

klugesmith
Mon Mar 11 2013, 12:59AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Sorry, I wrongly doubted that your scope has three vertical channels. Ch3 is pretty clearly labeled in your pictures.

So I could be wrong about not finding make and model inforrmation inside. Let's see what you find!

Venerable brands like Tektronix and HP (which became Agilent when ejected from HP the computer company) are well labeled outside and on the circuit boards. But if yours -never- had a name on the front, it might be like many generic tools or consumer electronics made in China. A standard product can be made with more than one paint color and brand/model printed on the case, according to which brand name company placed the order for that day's production. One could also crank out an anonymous, generic version, perhaps a near-copy of a popular brand, without being a counterfeiter or pirate.
HighVoltageProjects
Mon Mar 11 2013, 07:54PM
HighVoltageProjects Registered Member #9770 Joined: Wed Jan 23 2013, 01:42AM
I found it Thanks guys its a Topward Model TOS-7022/42 from the Tos-7000 series .It took a whole day of Google to find and i also have a PDF it's on page 7 here [link] Link2,40,21,41,22,42,23%29.pdf
maybe someone with knowledge would be able to tell me if it is any good .I only payed £20 so it cant be too bad but it would still be nice to know.
This is my first thread and not sure if i have to close it or anything sorry guys I keep reading the rules but with my medication its really hard at the moment to take them all in THANK YOU ALL .John
testtest
Mon Mar 11 2013, 08:15PM
testtest Registered Member #3271 Joined: Mon Oct 04 2010, 02:29AM
For the price this is a pretty good buy as a general purpose scope. It has a lot of functionality such as chop, add, alt between traces and such. I assume the traces are bright and sharp (ie: the CRT is not on its last legs)

Keep in mind the Ch3 is really to preview the trigger signal to make sure it is usable, not as a general third vertical channel. Not clear if you have the 20 or 40MHz unit but in either case for general electronics it should be fine. Perfect for analog audio, radio, many digital app etc... For RF work it wont cut it however. If all the functions looks OK get yourself a pair of 50 MHz generic probes with a 1x/10x feature off ebay and you will be in business. They should come with a pin probe, a hook and perhaps an alligator, along with a ground pigtail connector at the handle.

You might want to get or borrow a function generator to check the vertical voltage accuracy on all scales (a quick test with a DC power supply or batteries), the horz sweep speed accuracy and its magnifier, check trigger function and stability and generally run the scope through its paces. That way you will have a trustworthy instrument.

Have fun.
HighVoltageProjects
Tue Mar 12 2013, 09:00AM
richnormand wrote ...

For the price this is a pretty good buy as a general purpose scope. It has a lot of functionality such as chop, add, alt between traces and such. I assume the traces are bright and sharp (ie: the CRT is not on its last legs)

Keep in mind the Ch3 is really to preview the trigger signal to make sure it is usable, not as a general third vertical channel. Not clear if you have the 20 or 40MHz unit but in either case for general electronics it should be fine. Perfect for analog audio, radio, many digital app etc... For RF work it wont cut it however. If all the functions looks OK get yourself a pair of 50 MHz generic probes with a 1x/10x feature off ebay and you will be in business. They should come with a pin probe, a hook and perhaps an alligator, along with a ground pigtail connector at the handle.

You might want to get or borrow a function generator to check the vertical voltage accuracy on all scales (a quick test with a DC power supply or batteries), the horz sweep speed accuracy and its magnifier, check trigger function and stability and generally run the scope through its paces. That way you will have a trustworthy instrument.

Have fun.

Thanks that is great advice .I have got a function generator that goes to 20MHZ and all seams great with the CRT it's very bright and a lot thinner than i thought it would go after a little adjustment wink

It is 40Mhz which is a shame as I really wanted to be able to tune a VTTC with it but hey £20 I'm not complaining
Steve Conner
Tue Mar 12 2013, 10:02AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
What makes you think you need a scope better than 40MHz to tune a VTTC?
Conundrum
Tue Mar 12 2013, 11:02AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
You can use a prescaler to do that.
I've heard of people repurposing old analogue TV tuners for this, as they can be adjusted over a wide range and are somewhat robust.

Also handy:- a frequency counter to calibrate things.
HighVoltageProjects
Tue Mar 12 2013, 12:15PM
Hi I thought my VTTC was going to be around 50MHz as I'm using 2 x GU-81M pentodes ,but it turns out i was wrong it will be more like 6 MHz which is great .

Also I do have a frequency counter on its way,I might post that in projects as I brought it working but 3 of the nixie tubes have stopped working ,but that could be an easy fix especially once my scope probes turn up .Thanks again everyone
Steve Conner
Tue Mar 12 2013, 12:38PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
50MHz is a pretty extreme frequency for a VTTC. The secondary would only have about 10 turns and the output would be a blowtorch-like flame. (see zilipoper's videos on youtube Link2 ) If you go by the usual plans available on the internet, the operating frequency will be more like 500kHz.
HighVoltageProjects
Tue Mar 12 2013, 02:27PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

50MHz is a pretty extreme frequency for a VTTC. The secondary would only have about 10 turns and the output would be a blowtorch-like flame. (see zilipoper's videos on youtube Link2 ) If you go by the usual plans available on the internet, the operating frequency will be more like 500kHz.

Hey your right sorry you have to excuse my mindlessness I'm In a lot of pain right now and have to take morphine so my head is all ova the place . I was going on the tube rating at 3kv but I the secondary made already so when I get my probes ,frequency generator and counter through the post and got the counter fixed I'll add it as a projects .Sorry and again thank you
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: