Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

MIDI Interrupter Software

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Goodchild
Sat Jan 12 2013, 07:00AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
In addition to cheap dongles I have found also that improper grounding of the coil can also create latch-ups and other assorted problems due to the RF from the coil not being properly terminated. Just a thought to keep in mind!
Physics Junkie
Sat Jan 12 2013, 07:46AM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
koolksmart wrote ...

Thanks for all the help! I got the computer to recognize the board, but I still can't output to it. I've managed to get a MIDI keyboard working with it, but when I hook it up to the coil: Nothing.
The guide doesn't mention anything about the PW limit, which I wonder might be the issue.
Any ideas? It's the last thing holding me back -.-

Sorry, I meant R1 and R2. Make sure you have configured those using an oscilloscope and/or the pictures in the guide. Try switching your MIDI in and MIDI out. Some devices and synthesizers have been known to work either way even though, logically, it may be labelled wrong. Meaning the I/I and O/O or the I/O and I/O. May work one way or the other.
koolksmart
Sat Jan 12 2013, 03:29PM
koolksmart Registered Member #5300 Joined: Thu Jun 14 2012, 12:00AM
Physics Junkie wrote ...

Sorry, I meant R1 and R2. Make sure you have configured those using an oscilloscope and/or the pictures in the guide. Try switching your MIDI in and MIDI out. Some devices and synthesizers have been known to work either way even though, logically, it may be labelled wrong. Meaning the I/I and O/O or the I/O and I/O. May work one way or the other.

That's the weird thing: I hooked up a speaker to the RCA output, and I heard the notes I was playing. I didn't have an oscilloscope, so I eyeballed it based on the manual's diagram. When I hook the MIDI interrupter up to the coils control board (RCA), nothing happens. The board doesn't hum. There's no spark.

By the way, I feel as though I should have mentioned that I'm hooking this up to the MicroBrute DRSSTC from EVR.
Physics Junkie
Sat Jan 12 2013, 04:12PM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
koolksmart wrote ...

That's the weird thing: I hooked up a speaker to the RCA output, and I heard the notes I was playing. I didn't have an oscilloscope, so I eyeballed it based on the manual's diagram. When I hook the MIDI interrupter up to the coils control board (RCA), nothing happens. The board doesn't hum. There's no spark.

By the way, I feel as though I should have mentioned that I'm hooking this up to the MicroBrute DRSSTC from EVR.

I had a similar issue, and I solved it by slightly turning the settings of R1 and R2 up but only VERY SLIGHTLY. I am not using a microbrute though so I am not going to recommend you do that and put your tesla coil at risk. Talk to EVR, they might have some advice or have experienced similar problems they might be able to help you with. Also, those settings in the MIDI guide for the microbrute should be accurate (I would assume) for that tesla coil system, and your problem is probably elsewhere. Re-check your soldering of the controller, specifically around the modulator input area and that part of the circuitry. Has your RCA mod input on the controller board worked with other interrupters? If so, then you can probably rule that out too. Personally I have never used RCA so I really dont know how to identify that as a problem. It could be a handful of possibilties, perhaps even a setting on your keyboard/software.
koolksmart
Sat Jan 12 2013, 11:25PM
Physics Junkie wrote ...

I had a similar issue, and I solved it by slightly turning the settings of R1 and R2 up but only VERY SLIGHTLY. I am not using a microbrute though so I am not going to recommend you do that and put your tesla coil at risk. Talk to EVR, they might have some advice or have experienced similar problems they might be able to help you with. Also, those settings in the MIDI guide for the microbrute should be accurate (I would assume) for that tesla coil system, and your problem is probably elsewhere. Re-check your soldering of the controller, specifically around the modulator input area and that part of the circuitry. Has your RCA mod input on the controller board worked with other interrupters? If so, then you can probably rule that out too. Personally I have never used RCA so I really dont know how to identify that as a problem. It could be a handful of possibilties, perhaps even a setting on your keyboard/software.

The interrupter out of the box with the Microbrute kit works with the RCA input, so that's not the issue. I can't imagine it's the soldering joins of the output since the speaker worked just fine soldered on to it, and I've inspected all the solder joints--All good. Voltage tests are perfect, and the board says it's receiving the signals and outputting.

Now that I think about it, though, the BNC light would seldom light up--only the FO (Fiber Optic) light would flash to notify that a signal was being sent out. Any idea what that could mean?
HV Enthusiast
Sat Jan 12 2013, 11:30PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Make sure the speaker is removed before hooking up to the coil.
koolksmart
Sat Jan 12 2013, 11:33PM
EasternVoltageResearch wrote ...

Make sure the speaker is removed before hooking up to the coil.

The speaker was removed. Still nothing.
dude_500
Sun Jan 13 2013, 07:35AM
dude_500 Registered Member #2288 Joined: Wed Aug 12 2009, 10:42PM
koolksmart wrote ...

Now that I think about it, though, the BNC light would seldom light up--only the FO (Fiber Optic) light would flash to notify that a signal was being sent out. Any idea what that could mean?

If the FO light flashes but not the BNC light when the speaker is disconnected and nothing is hooked up to the BNC plug, then it is most likely a bad solder joint on the board, as those two outputs are fed from the same microcontroller output and the same driver chip. If it only stops lighting when a coil is connected, then the coil probably has a faulty input and is overloading the BNC driver on the MIDI controller. Connecting a speaker could also affect the LED, although I would think in most cases it shouldn't affect it.
HV Enthusiast
Sun Jan 13 2013, 03:22PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
dude_500 wrote ...

koolksmart wrote ...

If the FO light flashes but not the BNC light when the speaker is disconnected and nothing is hooked up to the BNC plug, then it is most likely a bad solder joint on the board, as those two outputs are fed from the same microcontroller output and the same driver chip. If it only stops lighting when a coil is connected, then the coil probably has a faulty input and is overloading the BNC driver on the MIDI controller. Connecting a speaker could also affect the LED, although I would think in most cases it shouldn't affect it.

Thats a good point. You already know your microbrute is working properly as you mentioned in the email, so the input to the microbrute is working as it should.

The FO and electrical (BNC / RCA) come from same driver chip, so if there is a solder joint / short, or something that is pulling that one output down that could explain it.

Also, check to see the LED is not installed backwards, although this wouldn't prevent the output from working.
koolksmart
Tue Jan 15 2013, 04:36AM
Quick update: I've resoldered some connections, particularly the RCA ones. When I hooked the controller alone up to a keyboard, all outputs were flashing, which I take as a good sign.

I'll update you all again when I hook everything together. Thanks for all the help so far!
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: