All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC tuning FAQ

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Tue Aug 15 2006, 03:45PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Yeah, i agree with Dan here, as thats what my pspice analysis of the system showed (and it made sense). Really, i dont bother so much talking about "poles" any more, since i found that you are always exciting both of them to some degree. And since all of my coils seem to prefer different levels of detuning, all i can really say is put a CT on your primary, get out a note book, and start taking down numbers at all sorts of tuning points. Eventually you will begin to see what works well, and what doesnt. Often times the tuning doesnt effect the spark length as much as it effects the primary current. This can be important since you dont want to stress components unnecessarily (thats when you start blowing up MMC caps like me smile ).
Terry Fritz
Wed Aug 16 2006, 10:24PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

I tend to use charts and graphs like this one for my SISG (could do DRSSTCs too). All that "computer stuff":

Link2

The X axis is the primary inductance. It shows that lower primary inductance really raises the primary peak current. So if in doubt, go "up" not "down". Interesting that higher coupling "lowers" the primary RMS current which is significant with the SISG.

Note how the higher coupling suddenly stops helping spark length. The coil crosses over to needing higher BPS (coil power) at that point since the streamer starts starving for power confused So I need to push higher BPS there (with higher primary RMS current!!). The bump in the arc length center trace at 19uH is probably an upper to lower pole transition.

Of course, all this does not take into acount the coil being thrown into the trunk of the car and the toroid having to be duct(k) taped back together and all tongue But if one sits there in the lab and carefully tunes everything (hours) the math matches reality very well. But all this is usually meant as a "design guide". Once put together, just tune for the biggest sparks wink)

These days, I tend to use the scopes, current transformers, antennas, etc. to tune the "programs" not the "coils" cheesey The programs are so good anymore, I often don't bother to measure since it is just a waiste of time. The programs in many cases predict better than I can actually measure anything anyway amazed

Cheers,

Terry

dingo27
Sat Sept 04 2010, 09:57AM
dingo27 Registered Member #890 Joined: Tue Jul 10 2007, 10:06PM
EastVoltResearch wrote ...

I have written a DRSSTC specific tuning procedure / study here . . .

http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/datasheets/drsstc3_tuningpaper01.pdf

does it still exist? I want to open it but it seems like file is not there.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: