All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

igbt speed

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ben Solon
Tue Aug 07 2012, 01:32AM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
a brick simply cant get up to those speeds with its delays alone. then you have to deal with gate capacitance:

-- 2uC @ 24

-- 2uC/24V = 8.333e-8F = 83.33nF

-- P = C*V^2*f = .00000008333*24^2*200000 = 9.59962W/gate

-- 9.59962*2 ~= 20W per half bridge

you need a pretty chunky transformer to supply your "logic" now. almost an amp per half bridge at 24v.

another thing is why use a brick for a 500W coil? to247's can handle this power no problem. i wouldn't use bricks until you get into the kw range.
Mads Barnkob
Tue Aug 07 2012, 08:59AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
As Terry once said: Link2

I only had time to skim through this, but it looks interesting and might help you calculate: Link2

Also, about the DRSSTC3, progress is slow, but changes to the design have been made as I got home some CM600s instead, so have been redesigning the bridge and will likely be putting it together this coming weekend, rest of the coil is still some miles from completion :)
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Aug 07 2012, 09:33AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Dr. ISOTOP: Nope. The delay times are for the current waveform. During the "turn off delay time", the drain (collector) voltage actually starts rising and reaches supply voltage, but the current still stays at its maximum. During the "fall time" the voltage has already reached full supply voltage, but the current falls to zero. For the turning on this is similar.
Mads Barnkob
Tue Aug 07 2012, 04:55PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
ben123324 wrote ...

a brick simply cant get up to those speeds with its delays alone. then you have to deal with gate capacitance:

-- 2uC @ 24

-- 2uC/24V = 8.333e-8F = 83.33nF

-- P = C*V^2*f = .00000008333*24^2*200000 = 9.59962W/gate

-- 9.59962*2 ~= 20W per half bridge

you need a pretty chunky transformer to supply your "logic" now. almost an amp per half bridge at 24v.

Wards universal driver will have no problem delivering this drive current, with a standard GDT it can still deliver double rms current than what you require.

When calculating maximum swithcing speeds, there is two max frequencies to find, one looking at switching times, using the overall switching times multiplied by 10-20 and the junction temperature rise limit. Where the last always overrides the first.

One thing that really should jump at your eyes in a datasheet is the Zrjc vs. pulsewidth graph. For a 60N60 TO247 IGBT, you can read out that the normal 0,5K/W thermal resistance can be derated as low as 0,01K/W at the low pulse widths we use in a DRSSTC.

I can not find the thread, I think it is about a year back that someone experimented with resonant switching times, where he proved that bricks could be run way out of specs when in a resonant circuit.

I hope some of this makes sense and it all relates to the linked article above.

ben123324 wrote ...

another thing is why use a brick for a 500W coil? to247's can handle this power no problem. i wouldn't use bricks until you get into the kw range.

With a full bridge IXGN60N60 (isotop) I have pushed 2500W through, so Ben is absolutely right about a CM300 being overkill for a 500W coil.

Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Aug 07 2012, 08:01PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

Dr. ISOTOP: Nope. The delay times are for the current waveform. During the "turn off delay time", the drain (collector) voltage actually starts rising and reaches supply voltage, but the current still stays at its maximum. During the "fall time" the voltage has already reached full supply voltage, but the current falls to zero. For the turning on this is similar.

Aren't the times you're talking about listed under "rise time/fall time" on datasheets? I'm referring to the turn-on delays and turn-off delays.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Aug 07 2012, 11:04PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I'm talking about the switching times manufacturers usually state in the datasheet. They are the turn on delay time (Tdon), rise time (Tr), turn off delay time (Tdoff) and fall time (Tf). These are (should be) related to the current, not voltage waveform. Sometimes there is an example of current and voltage waveforms with the switching times marked in them in the datasheet.
zzz_julian_zzz
Wed Aug 08 2012, 12:45AM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
I was able to run this coil & the output were more than 3x the length of its secondary with just irg4pc50ud (fullbridge) ,. I am just wondering if brick can still drive it because in my country, re-con bricks are far more cheaper than the brand new parts such as irg4 hehe.

Thanks for your inputs, ow. my country is in great disaster right now(if you heard on the news) no power since yesterday (i only used my laptop) =/

What if my coil were submerged in water? specially the secondary, what would happened if turned on?
Dr. ISOTOP
Wed Aug 08 2012, 01:25AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
zzz_julian_zzz wrote ...

I was able to run this coil & the output were more than 3x the length of its secondary with just irg4pc50ud (fullbridge) ,. I am just wondering if brick can still drive it because in my country, re-con bricks are far more cheaper than the brand new parts such as irg4 hehe.

Thanks for your inputs, ow. my country is in great disaster right now(if you heard on the news) no power since yesterday (i only used my laptop) =/

What if my coil were submerged in water? specially the secondary, what would happened if turned on?

The secondary would probably flash over from being in water.
Goodchild
Wed Aug 08 2012, 01:30AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Dr. ISOTOP wrote ...

zzz_julian_zzz wrote ...

The secondary would probably flash over from being in water.

I'm not so sure about that, if it was distilled water for instance it may be one hell of a good insulator at ~18.5MΩ per cm.
brandon3055
Wed Aug 08 2012, 02:52AM
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM
The warter would probably detune the coil (unless your driver can compensate)
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: