All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ArcAttack! Tesla Gun

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Wolfram
Tue Jun 19 2012, 08:01AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
This is easily the most impressive project I've seen here.

You've provided a lot of useful info, and I'm especially impressed by all the new tricks and techniques you've incoroprated into it.

Even though you've detailed the most important bits, I would be very interested in having a look at the code and the schematics for some inspiration if I get around to doing a similar project. It's extremely tempting, especially considering that I already have all the major parts, but I'm usually very slow on completing big projects.
Steve Ward
Tue Jun 19 2012, 08:50AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I'm interested in the transformer combining scheme, because there's no reason (that I can see) to stop at two bridges. What did you use for DC block capacitors on the primary side?

Why yes, of course there is no reason to stop at 2, in fact i had originally planned on using 4 bridges. Ultimately, 2 bridges were enough to exceed the capability of my battery and power system, so i stopped at 2. I use a .68uF 1200V snubber cap for the DC blockers. The transformers dont even have to be all that great either, a little leakage inductance just adds to the primary L. I found that lowering the coupling helped keep the sparks straighter anyway, so if i ever made another one, the primary wouldnt be as tall.

I think if i make another one, im just gonna drive the TC with MOSFETs at ~130VDC with 6 of those LiPo's in series. That way there is no stupid DC converter to impede things smile. With the transformers, you can match the low voltage bridges to whatever coil setup you have. Id probably also go water cooled so that you could possibly use the 12kW of power available from such a battery... well until some other components melt smile.

Even though you've detailed the most important bits, I would be very interested in having a look at the code and the schematics for some inspiration if I get around to doing a similar project. It's extremely tempting, especially considering that I already have all the major parts, but I'm usually very slow on completing big projects.

Cool, i'll see about compiling it into some useful form. I have no doubt someone could replicate my work, or even make it better. Id just have to make the warning that with a system this complex, troubleshooting really requires you know your stuff. But, i guess ive de-bugged all the code and such, so any problems should just be due to assembly mistakes or something.

Does anyone else on this forum have a serious interest in building a QCW coil?
Steve Conner
Tue Jun 19 2012, 09:40AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Me, me! :D

I'm rather intrigued by the idea of running directly off batteries. That would have been a joke when I started solid-state coiling, but the power and energy density of Lipos gets higher all the time. Maybe with direct battery power the system could be made small enough for a handheld "Tesla saber".

I also have a long-term project to make an all-digital Tesla coil controller on a FPGA (and a fiber optic multiplexed data format to go with it) and am looking for collaborators.
Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Jun 19 2012, 11:23AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
And me!
I have most of a giant QCW bus modulator sitting right here, though I fear phase-shift modulation makes it completely obsolete tongue
How big is your transformer? Something capable of handling 120A peak must be quite bulky (though the 400 KHz operation helps handle that I suppose).
Dr. Drone
Tue Jun 19 2012, 05:07PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Steve Conner
Tue Jun 19 2012, 06:12PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Sorry, regular guns might be more effective at killing things, but for sheer geek points, Steve's Tesla gun is untouchable. wink
Dr. Drone
Tue Jun 19 2012, 06:57PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Killa-X
Tue Jun 19 2012, 07:04PM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Wish I had the money to build one of my own! Let alone the ability to make a QCW... Steps. Slowly, maybe one day...

Love it though! Nice job Steve
Steve Ward
Tue Jun 19 2012, 08:34PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I can see where Dr Spark is coming from, there is nothing quite like shooting a real gun.

Anyway, here's some design files (ehhh, minus the PCB layouts for now):

Link2

How big is your transformer? Something capable of handling 120A peak must be quite bulky (though the 400 KHz operation helps handle that I suppose).

The cores are about 2.5"x2.5"x1.25". They are in fact a lot bigger than they need to be, since i had plenty of room to fit the wire on the core with lots of space left. I mainly used these because i didnt have enough of anything smaller. The output (120A side) is wound with 10awg, and the input (60A) is wound with 12awg. With my low duty cycles, they do not warm up at all. For a real, mains powered thing, you'd probably have to use bigger copper, preferably some litz wire i think.

I also have a long-term project to make an all-digital Tesla coil controller on a FPGA (and a fiber optic multiplexed data format to go with it) and am looking for collaborators.

I guess for such a project to work out, we'd all have to have access to whatever IDE the chip maker has. I think an FPGA would be super cool, especially if you can just put a uC core in it, and still have some awesome peripherals that we can design. I think if you built in enough flexibility in the hardware, it should not be obsoleted for a really long time! smile. I know Marko wants to do such a project too. Maybe time to start defining some requirements/feature set?

By the way, ive had zero problems with both the Xmega and CPLD on this project, despite being 3.3V powered things (i think the CPLD might have a 1.8V core inside too). I remember years ago being afraid of having such hardware in the gate drive loop of a tesla coil, but it looks like it works fine.
joshua_
Tue Jun 19 2012, 10:48PM
joshua_ Registered Member #61 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:50AM
I, too, have considered having an all digital FPGA-based controller. I've been going through a fair bit of pain with my most recent CD4046/74HCT4046-based coil (PC2 is very noise sensitive, and hence loses its mind when I take a ground strike; PC1 has an obnoxious phase shift, making it more or less unusable), and I've considered a few times using an FPGA instead of the '4046 to get more precise control. (I need to post a thread about my most recent coil; I think I first need to get some scope shots so that I can get ideas from others as to where I'm stuck.)

I also considered using just a CPLD as a tiny PLL; I think it would have just enough logic to do the job. Certainly an FPGA would be much more interesting, though; you would be able to integrate a micro, for instance, to do interrupter control.

So, if you're interested, Steves, let me know! I'm certainly on the IRC all the time...

edit: oh, and I failed to mention -- spectacular work, as always, SteveW! Very very neat packaging on it, and pushing the envelope as always. Bravo.

edit 2: I feel compelled to post:
Screen3

You have some dressing up to do, Steve!
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: