Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Oscillations Redux

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Thu Apr 19 2012, 03:04PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Have you thought of applying an analogue voltage derived from a variable resistor to your FET gate? If this restores good order, you will know where the problem - or at least part of it - is lying low.
sngecko
Thu Apr 19 2012, 03:41PM
sngecko Registered Member #3447 Joined: Fri Nov 26 2010, 11:10PM
That certainly makes sense. Let's see, simulations suggest that at 4mA, the gate voltage on an IRF830, should be around 4.5V. I'll just build a voltage divider off a 9V battery and we'll see if the oscillation persists. Hopefully I can test this theory tomorrow... Thanks.
Steve Maurer
Fri Apr 20 2012, 02:03AM
Steve Maurer Registered Member #133 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 10:27PM
Common mode noise is likely getting into your 24 V SMPS and is affecting its feedback loop. I have encountered this when driving pulsed loads (even with expensive commercial power supplies). Place a common mode choke in line with your 24 V supply (i.e. – wind the 24 V power lead and the return lead together on a high permeability toroid).

A few other notes:
1) 100 Ohms may be too large for the gate resistance.
2) Place decoupling capacitors across your op-amp power inputs. (Try 0.01 uF to start with.)
3) Keep your a) op-amp output-to-MOSFET gate path and b) MOSFET source-to-inverting op-amp path close to each other in order to keep this loop area small. If you are using wires to your MOSFET, then twist the gate and source wires across the entire length. (You do not want noise introduced here.)
4) Placement and proper layout for the op-amps is important for noise free operation.
sngecko
Fri Apr 20 2012, 11:28AM
Steve-

Thanks for the tip. I'll go ahead and get some ferrite and check it out, too.

Oh, troubleshooting!

EDIT: I just ordered four 1" ferrite toroids. I'm planning on rewiring the 24V SMPS 110VAC input wires to be twisted together and spiraled around one of these toroids.I eyeballed the 1.8A rating of my SMPS and guessed that this would be enough ferrite.

EDIT: The permeability of these toroids is 2400. I don't think that's as fancy as the nano-crystalline ones for sale now, but I figure that I'll just counter-wind two 18 gauge jacketed wires as far as I can and see what happens.
sngecko
Fri Apr 20 2012, 02:35PM
I just conducted the following experiment:

(1) Disconnected SMPS input lines (left the ground connected to chassis ground and output return to chassis ground).
(2) Connect 24V battery in place of SMPS.
(3) Everything else as was.

Results:
(1) Tube lit in similar steady manner and very low current (500uA).
(2) Fans again slowed a little, but very little audible oscillation (lower frequency).
(3) As I turned the current up to 2mA, the frequency of the audible oscillation increased, and the fans slowed to almost a complete stop.

It looks like the current control is working pretty well. The cascode circuit was designed to have a very high dynamic impedance because of the negative resistance characteristics of laser tubes, so it may be that the oscillations are kinda normal. Their effect on the fans is unexpected, though.

EDIT: And in response to above, I guess the power supply isn't tripping... Even batteries won't keep the fans running at full speed. They just slow down progressively as current is increased to 2mA from a few hundred microamps.
sngecko
Fri Apr 20 2012, 06:46PM
In the file shown below, you will see that the triode output (cathode) wire is bundled with a number of other wires on its way to and from the indicated fuse. The 24V fan's positive line passes through this bundle. Could they be coupled in some way? The current is so very low that it's hard to imagine that a significant induction could affect a battery... I'll keep looking for the source of the 24V screwup.
1334947610 3447 FT137255  Dsc0002
Steve Conner
Fri Apr 20 2012, 07:55PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If your tubes are oscillating, the RF could be confusing the brushless motor control circuit in the fan. The average current may be only 4mA, but it could be in the form of nasty little RF bursts with high peak power.

It is possible to have RF and audible oscillations at the same time. The effect is called squegging.

Again I recommend adding a grid stopper resistor at least.
sngecko
Fri Apr 20 2012, 09:21PM
Do you think that a potentiometer would be handy in this application? I'm not sure what value would be best, guessing somewhere from 1.5k to 100k. As you can see, I'm got a 20kOhm resistor tied to ground in parallel with the decoupling cap and neon, but I don't think that forms the proper RC filter with the valves input capacitance... Am I right in thinking that this resistor should be in series with the other components?

I wish I had an oscilloscope to get an idea of what "kind" of RF noise I was dealing with.
sngecko
Fri Apr 20 2012, 09:40PM
Something like this?

27 Pm
Marko
Fri Apr 20 2012, 11:45PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi gecko

Look what your circuit does: it's a linear regulator with full gain of your amplifier (tens/hundreds of thousands) being wired in the negative feedback path. The opamp itself as well as the mosfet will always introduce some delay in the feedback loop which translates a phase shift which increases proportionally with the frequency - result of which is, that at a certain frequency this finally reaches 180 degrees, turning your negative feedback into positive. And if your system still has overall gain greater than 1 at this frequency, it will oscillate just like any other astable multivibrator, tesla coil or whatever.

Since you did nothing to lower the HF gain of your TL084 (which is a pretty wideband opamp with cutoff at 4Mhz IIRC), oscillation here is pretty much a certainty. High dynamic gain of the mosfet in linear range probably makes it even worse.

Hence the infamous RC network we always see on TL494's and whereever. There is a series RC going from error amp output back to it's - input, It's purpose should now be obvious - at high frequencies the capacitor acts as low impedance and the resistor alone is virtually connected between - and amp output. For this to help though we need one more resistor in feedback path which will form a divider with the first one.

Now we've gotten an amplifier which has it's maximum gain at DC for minimum error and very low gain at high frequencies to prevent oscillations.

There are various ways of optimizing this network (since it after all slows down the response), but if your regulator is only intended to work with static load and reference then you could probably get satisfied by just slapping a random big cap until oscillations stop.

I'd probably start with something like 1k resistor on feedback wire and a 1uF cap or something like that.

There will also be assorted other random things that help - such as, swapping your opamp for slower, crappier one like 741, which acts as a low pass filter in itself. Other things like increasing the mosfet gate resistor value, or filtering the voltage across the mosfet with a capacitor could happen to help in a similar way.

Mosfets are also somewhat troublesome parts for linear use. For a circuit like this I'd probably just use a 200V darlington instead (which I think is more than enough for the tube to be off).

Hope this helps somewhat :)

Marko

1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: