Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Simon Barsinister (62)

Next birthdays
05/24 Simon Barsinister (62)
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

drsstc primary strike protection

Move Thread LAN_403
Gregory
Tue Apr 10 2012, 03:07AM
Gregory Registered Member #2922 Joined: Sun Jun 13 2010, 12:08AM
Ward, are you using the same ground of secondary or a separated ground? Here I made the same and I'm using separated grounds like you told me in a email. I'm using EMI filter in the driver before de rectifier with the Y caps to the same ground.
Steve Ward
Mon Apr 16 2012, 07:06PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Ward, are you using the same ground of secondary or a separated ground? Here I made the same and I'm using separated grounds like you told me in a email. I'm using EMI filter in the driver before de rectifier with the Y caps to the same ground.

I do hook up mains ground to my tesla coil base along the secondary ground and my EMI filtering ground. I fear that if i do not tie mains ground to RF ground, there could be a very high RF voltage there when the tesla coil arcs to RF ground, dumping large charges back and forth at high frequency. Since my power cable is shielded for strike protection, its shield gets tied to the RF ground too. Its very likely that my power cables are a source of radiated EMI, id like to see if i can reduce that with big ferrite beads on the cable.

I also use a couple of EMI filters. There is one on my DC bus as i mentioned, i think this is mainly for protection of the power circuit from high voltage transients during strikes, but probably cant control the EMI going out over my power cable. I use a DC power supply that is remote from the tesla coil, so the DC has an EMI filter at both the tesla coil, and the power supply output. I use another EMI filter on our 3 phase AC power feed, which also has some filtering of the ground wire, to hopefully stop sending common mode noise down the AC power, which would make the whole building's power potentially noisy with common mode RF.

As a side story, Ive had one of my DC PFC power supplies literally explode because of RF ground noise not being coupled with the power electronics bus. The voltage was enough to break down the isolation between the heatsink (at wild RF ground potentials) and mains voltage (which was not coupled in any way, as an EMI filter would have provided with Y-caps from line to ground). So the IGBT insulation failed causing the input rectifiers to explode and catch fire, with 3 phase 100A available to feed the arc. After adding my DC bus "EMI" filters, this problem is no more, because if the RF ground bounces, the power electronics bus will have to bounce too, so its all common mode and doesnt matter hopefully.
ScotchTapeLord
Mon Apr 16 2012, 07:27PM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

As a side story, Ive had one of my DC PFC power supplies literally explode because of RF ground noise not being coupled with the power electronics bus. The voltage was enough to break down the isolation between the heatsink (at wild RF ground potentials) and mains voltage (which was not coupled in any way, as an EMI filter would have provided with Y-caps from line to ground). So the IGBT insulation failed causing the input rectifiers to explode and catch fire, with 3 phase 100A available to feed the arc. After adding my DC bus "EMI" filters, this problem is no more, because if the RF ground bounces, the power electronics bus will have to bounce too, so its all common mode and doesnt matter hopefully.

I hope you have something equally spectacular planned for the next NY Maker Faire!
Gregory
Thu Apr 19 2012, 04:42AM
Gregory Registered Member #2922 Joined: Sun Jun 13 2010, 12:08AM
I have one EMI filter at my tesla coil DC input that is grounded with a separated gorund. The secondary have a rf ground and the filter another. I have anoter EMI filter at the driver AC input to the same filter ground. I'm using one remote DC supply too, I will put one filter at its output. I will try to use the same ground for all the filters and the secondary but I'm afraid that with the same ground the EMI filter will no help to prevent igbt destruction over primary strike condition. Or it's will help even more than now?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: