All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

QCW coil

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Gregory
Tue Jan 03 2012, 11:29PM
Gregory Registered Member #2922 Joined: Sun Jun 13 2010, 12:08AM
Eric pointed out on my blog, too much capacitance causes an impedance mismatch with the coil, reducing the effectiveness of regulation.

This is one thing that I was saying.

I was thinking that it may be possible to measure the vout and feed it back through a op amp circuit to my VCO

Yeah! it will work, but I THINK that you need some derivative and integrative therm to get ir right. The drsstc bridge has very fast transients and the modulator need a very fast response. Compensation on feedback, like a simple capacitor, can be see as a small integral/derivative therm that will make your system get a very better response.
Dr. ISOTOP
Wed Jan 04 2012, 12:31AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
How does the math for the impedance matching work?
In particular, how do you calculate the input impedance of the bridge?
Gregory
Wed Jan 04 2012, 03:09AM
In particular, how do you calculate the input impedance of the bridge?

I think that the impedance isn't of the bridge, because she aways is connecting the primary LC to the modulator output so she "isn't here as a load". So, I THINK that the impedance is the impedance of the primary tank side SQRT(L / C).
Goodchild
Wed Jan 04 2012, 03:17AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
You know my delta modulator consist of a single comparator and a single 5V supply, there is really no need to put a 100MHz MCU in there.

All you need for a good bang controller is a comparator with a small amount of hysteresis (say 5mV to 20mV). You feed the ref ramp into one input and the output of your feedback divider into the other and they are internal subtracted and squared off for the gate drive. The speed of integration (switching speed) is controlled simply by the LC (mainly the inductance of the L and ESR of the cap), load and delays in the control circuitry including the hysteric window on the comparator. Switching speed can also be manipulated by the addition of a feed-forword capacitor and series resistor before the HV feedback divider.

My system is a little fancier in that it internally generates the integration making switching speed independent of the output filter parasitics and the load. But it still only used one comparator wink

The use of a fast precision comparator is a must, any switching error in the comparator can result in regulation error and unwanted operation. The LM311 is NOT a precision comparator tongue

It seems like a lot of EE's out there stay away from bang bang control because of the dependance on temp ESR and load dynamics controlling switching speed. But it's a really awesome control topology because of it's simplisity and ability to go from 0 to 100% duty cycle giving it excellent transieant response. No control loop compensation has to be added ether which makes it just all the more awesome.
Dr. ISOTOP
Wed Jan 04 2012, 04:47AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Goodchild wrote ...

You know my delta modulator consist of a single comparator and a single 5V supply, there is really no need to put a 100MHz MCU in there.

I briefly thought about implementing the controller this way, but decided against it. I suppose my excuse for using a fancy micro in the controller is so I can implement "optional" features like overcurrent detection without reworking the entire circuit. I really want to avoid the fault condition where the bridge fails short, which will take out the buck and god knows what other bits of silicon down the line.
Goodchild
Wed Jan 04 2012, 03:12PM
Dr. Isotop wrote ...

Goodchild wrote ...

I briefly thought about implementing the controller this way, but decided against it. I suppose my excuse for using a fancy micro in the controller is so I can implement "optional" features like overcurrent detection without reworking the entire circuit. I really want to avoid the fault condition where the bridge fails short, which will take out the buck and god knows what other bits of silicon down the line.

Well even with a MCU you would still have to add some sort of extra circuit to sense the current in the first place. Even at 100MHz and interrupts your OCD response time will probably still be in the hundreds of u second range unless your uC spends all it's time checking the OCD. A comparator is really the better way to go for speed, as you want to get that silicon shut off in <10uS if possible. MBED also runs a rater complex firmware and library architecture that will eat up that 100MHz rather fast making it not much faster than a 8bit 16MHz uC.

In my opinion 100MHz uC is not the right way to go with this sort of controller, it's will be a lot a slower than a single dedicated comparator and a lot more susceptible to noise and such.

If you wanted a configurable option that was fast and had better noise immunity you should look into a FPGA or CPLD. There is a reason uCs are not widely used for SMPS control.

Eric
teravolt
Wed Jan 04 2012, 04:34PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I don't know if any body is interested but I found this IC that I stumbled on and thought that this may be pertinent

Link2
Goodchild
Wed Jan 04 2012, 06:26PM
teravolt wrote ...

I don't know if any body is interested but I found this IC that I stumbled on and thought that this may be pertinent

Link2

teravolt that is an awesome little chip, it dose bang bang control a little bit differently than normal seems like it samples rather than running all the time. From my initial glance at the datasheet it looks like all timing is done internally rather than using external integration, as I said earlier this is a wonderful way to improve noise and load immunity on the switching times.

I may have to give one of these a try some time in the future.
Gregory
Wed Jan 04 2012, 06:47PM
ou know my delta modulator consist of a single comparator and a single 5V supply

So, are you using a single histeresy comparator? only a comparator with the -input at the feedback and the +input at the reference ramp with some histeresy at comparation? This is my original desing that worked very well.
Goodchild
Wed Jan 04 2012, 07:45PM
Gregory wrote ...

ou know my delta modulator consist of a single comparator and a single 5V supply

So, are you using a single histeresy comparator? only a comparator with the -input at the feedback and the +input at the reference ramp with some histeresy at comparation? This is my original desing that worked very well.

Basically yep that's it. I however also sum my own integrated ramp back onto the feedback so that the integration is set internally rather than by external LC.
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: