All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

QCW Documented

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Drone
Wed Nov 23 2011, 01:40AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Goodchild
Wed Nov 23 2011, 02:21AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Hey Dr. Spark,

I bet you could build a modulator for quadZilla that wasn't supper big. Using a buck or SLR topology.

You could probably even do 4 individual supplies to drive the 4 plates! You could force current sharing among the tube this way even with them unmatched!

It would be supper cool to see a supply do this, I can only imagine qaudZilla with AM audio modulation. 50Kw plasma sub woofer hehe
teravolt
Wed Nov 23 2011, 02:46AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Would it be pausible to just modulate the grid of a 833 to create a ramped power envilope? This could be done by using a PWM to tern the tube on for a spesific time period that would be equal to 90 deg or less of the primary tank cycle. Some how the ZCS would have to syncronise with the PWM rising edge so the tube turns on at the right time. The tube is a natural choice to excite a parallel primary tank cycle.
Marko
Wed Nov 23 2011, 03:48AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi guys

Well my personal evil plan was to use two pulse tubes in a half bridge configuration to base drive a resonator directly ;)
Depending on whether I could beat Steve in making the buck-less QCW work there might be a number of ways to achieve QCW operation with such a setup (including feeding a ramp to screen grid if tubes used are tetrodes)
Wondered if those GMI6 tubes would be good for start...

But too many a project already so better keep this dreamware for now...

Great work guys!

Marko
Goodchild
Wed Nov 23 2011, 06:43AM
I imagine if you did some kinda grid modulation it would be similar to Steve's delta sigma modulation. As you would be forced to switched at ZCS or with ZVS. So the low freq ripple would be present on the output. mistrust
Luceš
Sun Nov 27 2011, 04:55AM
Luceš Registered Member #4108 Joined: Sun Sept 25 2011, 11:43PM
So all Phillip did was feed the plates a ramp current? Just with an inverter? Just curios...
Marko
Sun Nov 27 2011, 01:25PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
crazyivan wrote ...

So all Phillip did was feed the plates a ramp current? Just with an inverter? Just curios...

Nope, he used a modulated SLR power supply with a big IGBT brick, as far as I recall. Which I guess is about the same hassle as building a buck converter for a DRSSTC.

I think the first and easiest approach for tubes would be to modulate the tetrode screens. I think it might be possible to use a big inductor in series with power supply to ease the losses on the tube.

Next would probably be sigma-delta QCW. One could use "staccato" modulator to turn the tube on and off while sensing the primary current. So far it's unknown whether this would work.

Finally, there's the possibility of using two big high voltage pulse tubes to feed the resonator base directly. If I ever get a chance to own some awesome pulsed tubes this is how I would build a QCW.. I also think sigma delta would have far more chance of working that way due to 1-order system and naturally slower energy transfer time constant.

Marko
Goodchild
Sun Nov 27 2011, 07:48PM
SLR and buck are both noteworthy systems that would work to modulate a coil.

SLR has the advantage of being more efficient because of ZCS and also inherent current limiting. This come at the price of complexity though.

Buck also works but is less efficient and needs a separate current limiting circuit, but they are darn easy to get working and have very few parts.

In the end it's up to preference. Although I like the idea of no modulator and doing all the modulation on the bridge or with the tube screen, I still have doubts about it's piratical application. Mainly the ripple present in this kind of system and also the lower coupling required for it to work properly. But I'm still hopeful!!!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: