All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

OMG musical DRSSTC vids

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
WaveRider
Mon Jun 26 2006, 09:36AM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
I love it! Especially the Bach piece (too bad it's not longer)...Great work Finn and Steve!!!
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 26 2006, 09:41AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Thanks for posting that movie Finn! cheesey And thanks for hiring me to design the musical bit. Anyway, we're not going to publish the schematics or tell you how it works. And the VST plugin has to wait till Terry Fritz can get 60fps out of his streamer modelling code. tongue
HV Enthusiast
Mon Jun 26 2006, 11:48AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Awesome Steve. Geesh, you're even more goofy in person. Probably shouldn't have shot the video with you in it! tongue Just kidding.
Anyways, good work. Wonder if i can hook that thing up to a piano! Sounds like i may have to dig the ole DX7 out of the attic, if it still works.

Is there capability of of playing two-notes together, or do you have a lock-out feature which prevents that from happening?

Anyways, nice. Now you have both hobbies combined!

wrote ...

Great work! I actually thought I could be the owner of the first "musical DRSSTC" with my nanoDRSSTC, but as I see now, you have been building one before I only had the idea...

Plasmaniac,

The idea isn't new. In fact, both Steve's, and myself, as well as others, have already coupled a keyboard to the DRSSTC. But definitely not cool like this with the features Steve has incorporated. Also, Alan Sharpe had musical SSTCs going long before us.
ragnar
Mon Jun 26 2006, 12:11PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
The "I give you this organ music--" clip, judging from the distortion when the camera goes near one of the coils is.... LOUD!

Huge volume of air being moved, in person you must be able to literally feel the sound... I love it!
Avalanche
Mon Jun 26 2006, 12:45PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
That's incredible, just from watching the vids especially Finn's first vid. I can't imagine what it must be like to actually be in that room (apart from deafened cheesey )

So where is the whole system now? Is it going to be used for anything else?

Also, how did a Danish arts group find out that musical Tesla coils existed? confused
vasil
Mon Jun 26 2006, 12:51PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
...Woo, your coils are cool Steve!"....

I will not be able to replicate this ever...:(
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 26 2006, 01:37PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Haha Dan. As soon as I get my teeth fixed, I'm coming over to America to kick your ass. Or to save the hassle I might just get Emilie Autumn to kick it for me.

The keyboard has a button to select monophonic or polyphonic mode. With one coil connected, it had to be set to mono mode and could only play one note at a time. I did try wiring up all six voices to the same coil so it could play chords, but that caused huge power draw. If you played a three note chord with middle C as the root, the coil ended up doing around 800bps on average. >_<

Musical SSTCs have been around for a while, true enough, but ours was the first to go up to 11.
Reaching
Mon Jun 26 2006, 02:53PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
mhh, to bad that you cant give us an example, but thats no problem, i need only a few days to prove my variation of this, of course no midi but 2 octaves or someting like this to play with. with a slightly changed version of my pll interrupter that should be no problem.
ha, going to build a keyboard cheesey
Steve Ward
Mon Jun 26 2006, 04:18PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Yep, Conner's setup beats my simple zero cross detector that i used to pump sound from my DRSSTC. It did work with electric guitar and bass at very low volumes, but as i turned up the power, the noise from the DRSSTC would couple back to my input signal and cause it to go nuts. Finn has the right idea with fiber optic isolation. BTW, the coil sounded like the crunchiest guitar distortion you've ever heard... sorta interesting, but definately not within my musical tastes!
HV Enthusiast
Mon Jun 26 2006, 05:28PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Here is another MIDI controlled audio modulated DRSSTC system. Not sure who did it though.

http://members.thegeekgroup.org/~capper/midisch.html

1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: