Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ARC STARTER AND STABILIZER - COMPLETED

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Newton Brawn
Thu Apr 14 2011, 12:44AM
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Yes, I agree that the pulse frequency is higher, in the range of megahertz. The discharge of the cap through the coil produce a momentary oscillation that finishes as soon the cap is discharged.

More precise:
Coil inductance = N^2 n D^2 / (18D + 40D) =
= 10^2 x 1^2 /( 18 x 1 + 40 x 4.7) = 0.49uH

Pulse frequency = 1/(2 x pi x (L xC)^1/2 =
= 1/ (2 x pi x(0.49 x 0.02)^1/2 = 1.6mHz

This pulse is the result of fast discharge of the cap through the air gap and primary air core coil.
As soon the cap is discharged, the oscillation stop and the rectifier and the 330kohm resistor starting to charge the cap. This charging takes time.
The time required to charge the cap to 63% of its full voltage is dictaded by the RC constant, this case 6.6miliseconds.
I considered the transistor circuit strong enough to charge the cap easilly.
Since a good practice is set the gap 50~~70 % of cap full voltage, the repetition of each oscilation is in the range of 5 ~~10 ms.
All above are a theorectical manipulation. Small deviations may occurs.

Regards

EDIT: please note that the above calculation applies only to the TRANSISTORIZED circuit posted by Ash Small on april 10.

Newton Brawn
Fri Jul 22 2011, 04:55PM
Hi !
Please see the EDIT note posted by Newton doing clarifications on the last post.
Regards
Ash Small
Fri Jul 22 2011, 05:10PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I've recently been reading about the 'loose coupling' that transfers energy from the primary to the secondary. Is it possible to work out how many oscillations it would take to transfer all the energy from each charging of the capacitor to the secondary.

I appreciate that the secondary circuit isn't tuned to the primary, so any advice regarding this would also be appreciated.

(I have now got the HV TIG welder here, I'm just building a new rectifier before I start using it/modifying it again.)
Newton Brawn
Thu Nov 17 2011, 03:24AM
Hi !

Just to reply some emails regarding the spark gap construction.

See attached picture of the parts used in the Arc Starter

At right you can see the spark gap using a pvc pipe and 2 mild steel bolts. This spark gap was used in the begining of the development of the circuit, it works very well. It should be noted that the energy dissipated is very low, due to only two syncronized pulses in each period of 60Hz. No temperature rise was noted.

1321499835 3343 FT112240 Dscf0855

Any questions, let me know .

Regards

Newton

Rick
Sat Dec 24 2011, 08:59AM
Rick Registered Member #4220 Joined: Sun Nov 20 2011, 12:11AM
Newton:

I hope you'll entertain a question from one who isn't highly knowlegeable about electronics. I'm trying to duplicate your arc starter circuit and have built the components per your descriptions. I'm now trying to make the sssg but am confused by the two wiring diagrams. The sssg diagram shows the aircore coil as part of the sssg, but the diagram of the whole circuit shows it between the RL and CD. Could you please clarify this for me? Also, is the RL resistor the one shown in the sssg diagram mounted on an angle going into the pot? Thank you.

Rick A
Newton Brawn
Tue Dec 27 2011, 08:47PM
Hi Rick A !

Thanks for your review and comments !
You are 1000 % correct.
My mistake is re " consistence of information" .

If L1 is appearing in the drawing des_arc_starter_and_stabilizer_r2.pdf
it shall not appear in the drawing des_sssg_schematics_r2.pdf.
The duplication of information allways generate confusion.

The L1 function is limit the di/dt during of discharging of CD to avoid damage in the SCR. L1 is not critical, 5 to 12uH is ok. The important is to be in series with CD and SCR anode.
In assembling or in electrical wiring, you can assembly L1 following the first drawing or as shown in the second drawing. ( or even adding TWO air core inductors, one L1 following the first dwg, and a second air core inductor as shown in the second draring ! - the circuit will work fine.)

You wrote:
The sssg diagram shows the aircore coil as part of the sssg, but the diagram of the whole circuit shows it between the RL and CD.

Not really, the air core inductor is shown in both drawings in serie with CL, CD, LP,and SSSG. So, the L1 functin off limiting SCR di/dt is enforced.

Also, is the RL resistor the one shown in the sssg diagram mounted on an angle going into the pot?
As shown in the drawings the position of RL is correct. RL mission is to limit the CL inrush current when you connect the circuit in the 230V line.
Let me know more doubts, I will be happy in provide answers
Regards
Newton

Rick
Fri Dec 30 2011, 07:23AM
Rick Registered Member #4220 Joined: Sun Nov 20 2011, 12:11AM
Newton:

Thank you for the clarification. I'm just afraid to wire things up wrong and fry some of the components.

I'm also wondering if this circuit will work OK on 120 volts. As I understand it, your 220v is a 220v live wire and a neutral, whereas ours in the US is two 120v live wires 180* out of phase and a neutral, so I can only get a true 220v by running my 120 through a step-up transformer. We'll see!

Rick A.
Newton Brawn
Thu Jan 12 2012, 12:56AM
Hi Rick A.

Do not worry !

SINGLE PHASE SUPPLY SITUATION:
(The power outlet in your shop is 120 or 220~240V, or 125-0-125V, 220V at the lines, 50~60 Hz)
Since the arc starter is connected in the same power line of the buzzbox, the arc starter spark will be sinchronyzed with the buzzbox. Also the arc starter spark will be delayed of 25=35 degreees, provinding the proper ignition of the main arc.

As published the circuit works fine in 120V, Try it . If the spark at the gaps are less than 2.00mm you may increase the pulse energy:
1- the capacitor CD could be 0.94 uF (two 0.47 in parallel ) or one 0.94 x 2000V from a microwave oven.

2- the primary coil of T1, may have a tap at the 18th turn. for better voltage ratio.

Let me know the progress of the construction, send pics of your machine!

Regards

Newton
Redstone
Thu Jan 26 2012, 04:01PM
Redstone Registered Member #2578 Joined: Sun Dec 27 2009, 09:21PM
proper ignition? why would it matter? maybe if your running under current and have to keep it starting. but other wise who cares. misfires will work right?
Newton Brawn
Sat Jan 28 2012, 01:36AM
D Rosey:

The concept of the apparatus:
1 - The buzzbox is a 50~75Vac transformer with high serial reactance in order to control the welding current. The buzzbox provides 60Hz main power to the welding arc. Under some conditions (very low welding current, operator"s hability) the welding arc stinguish, interrupting the welding process. Also, as the buzzbox supplies AC current that cross zero current at 120 times per second, the welding arc also may be interrupted 120 times per minute.

2- When the arc starter is coupled with the buzzbox, the arc starter provides 120 pulses per second superimposed upon the buzzbox supply. These pulses are enough to start the ignition of the main arc after each zero current pass. This assure the main arc stays alive producing heath for the welding.
The pulses provided by the arc starter are 10-15kV, 1-2 microseconds, VERY LOW energy 0.005J, in such way that you may touch the welding electrode without fill the electric shock.

A more detailed information you may read at US Patent # 2880376.

Any concern, let me know.

Regards

Newton wink

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: