All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Zero Bias Mode Triode Gain Equation

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Mon Feb 21 2011, 08:05AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well, that's the nice thing about tubes, they give you advance warning of the magic smoke getting loose. smile

From earlier posts I got the idea that the operating point was 80ma and 5000v, a plate dissipation of 400w. But a real good design wouldn't be complete until you had proved that the 500w limit wouldn't be exceeded for any current setting, tube drop and line voltage. Well, not exceeded by too much for too long, at least. tongue

X-ray, how did that work out? I've got a 4-400 here and would like to build an amp with it some day. Did you just connect both grids to ground?
Xray
Mon Feb 21 2011, 05:29PM
Xray Registered Member #3429 Joined: Sun Nov 21 2010, 02:04AM
Steve McConner wrote ...

X-ray, how did that work out? I've got a 4-400 here and would like to build an amp with it some day. Did you just connect both grids to ground?

No, you can't tie both grids together. The suppressor grid needs to be tied to B+ or to the plate. The control grid is grounded, and the input power from the exciter transmitter drives the cathode. In grounded-grid configuration, the input power adds to the output power, so it's not wasted energy. It's been many years (mid-1970's) since I built that 4-400 linear amp, so I don't recall many details, but you can find many examples in ham radio websites and forums.
Xray
Mon Feb 21 2011, 05:31PM
Xray Registered Member #3429 Joined: Sun Nov 21 2010, 02:04AM
Xray wrote ...

Steve McConner wrote ...

No, you can't tie both grids together. The suppressor grid needs to be tied to B+ or to the plate. The control grid is grounded, and the input power from the exciter transmitter drives the cathode. In grounded-grid configuration, the input power adds to the output power, so it's not wasted energy. It's been many years (mid-1970's) since I built that 4-400 linear amp, so I don't recall many details, but you can find many examples in ham radio websites and forums.

EDIT: Change "suppressor grid" to "screen grid". Sorry!
sngecko
Wed Feb 23 2011, 07:09PM
sngecko Registered Member #3447 Joined: Fri Nov 26 2010, 11:10PM
If you check Link2 under Current Regulator, you will notice that the current regulation control and instrumentation is limited to 80mA. Expected operating points are between 2-40mA. You will also notice in the current control circuitry that when the plate dissipation is above 500W, a warning LED lights on the instrumentation panel.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: