Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vacuum Rectifiers X-rays report

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
radhoo
Mon Jan 17 2011, 02:06PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
05.A Field distribution test
Note: A 2X2 Tube in inverse polarization at 50KV, placed with the anode towards the fluorescent screen (perpendicular on the screen's surface):
1295273174 1938 FT106277 Field Copy P
Distance between tube end and screen: 3cm .

Comments: if the central black spot is probably a shadow caused by the metallic anode cap, then what is the bigger concentric shadow ring?

radhoo
Mon Jan 17 2011, 02:32PM
I already said that IMO the CCDs + fluorescent screens offer a great potential in detecting and dosing the X-rays. Here's the last image again, with two levels of segmentation (threshold) applied. In image processing, threshold is a segmentation process in which only the pixels with a high enough intensity pass (bigger then the configured threshold) and are market as white, the others are market as black.
So by adjusting the threshold it is possible to observe the more intense spots as captured by the digital camera. This not only shows where the field is more intense, but it also helps in observing the distribution field. As stated previously, a needed next step is to enclose the tube totally in Fluorescent material, and to record a 360 degrees image.
With the image above, it is possible to observe the tube has a stronger emission in the left half, then it has in the right one as per the presented position:
P 2 1
Central picture shows the area with the most intense emission.
Proud Mary
Mon Jan 17 2011, 03:07PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
radhoo wrote ...

04.Some measurements

I don't think it right to call any of these indications 'measurements.' You have used equipment which you knew to be unsuited to the measurement of X-rays below 50keV, and now you ask why the indications on these useless instruments are all in disagreement.

The best use for the yellow brick with the handle on it? Paint it black and use it as a weight for eel fishing in the Dunărea.
radhoo
Mon Jan 17 2011, 03:32PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I don't think it right to call any of these indications 'measurements.' You have used equipment which you knew to be unsuited to the measurement of X-rays below 50keV, and now you ask why the indications on these useless instruments are all in disagreement.
The best use for the yellow brick with the handle on it? Paint it black and use it as a weight for eel fishing in the Dunărea.
Besides the saturation in close proximity of the tube, I had some good use of the RD1706: Moving it further allowed this detector/indicator to function a little better: By doing so, the RD1706 showed an expected lower radiation level, as per the distance increment. It also has a very loud beep that goes on as soon as I power the tube which is also useful as a warning.
Even if the indications are totally inaccurate, the values indicated are related to the distance, so I can at least see where the field is not so hot/active/counts producing.
Proud Mary
Mon Jan 17 2011, 03:49PM
I think these experiments mapping the X-ray emission lobes of the 2X2 are both new and excellent, but you must sort out your dosimetry and shielding issues or your fingers will turn into bratwurst, my friend:

radhoo
Mon Jan 17 2011, 04:19PM
A bit offtopic but,

All tests are performed remotely. Basically the setup is in a different room, 6 meters from where I am, two walls in between, one of them made of concrete and steel 15cm tick. So my fingers should stay safe. If there was a such a risk, I would never run these tests.
Proud Mary
Tue Jan 18 2011, 04:02PM
Those bratwurst do look good, don't they? smile

Thinking about the concentric shadow surrounding the anode shadow in your radiograph, I wonder if it can be the longitudinal shadow of the anode bell from X-ray photons produced by field electron impacts on the circular shielding plate?

It certainly is an interesting feature worth investigating. If you have a good magnet, and place it near the shielding plate it might cause sufficient disturbance of the field emission electrons to show up on the radiograph

radhoo
Tue Jan 18 2011, 05:42PM
I have a few Neodymium n48 magnets, that I can use for this purpose. Probably this evening I will run some more tests.

Some other ideas:
- re-test my NaI scintillation probe with this x-ray emitting setup
- try to identify a correlation between photon energy and : 1) pixel intensity in camera images -or- 2) scintillation amplitude (in an effort to get the dosimetry on the right direction) . There are issues with both I will see what I can come up with.
- test some other vacuum rectifier tubes (I got a few, hope there are some without lead glass as well).
- use aluminum foil for hardening the beam and see how that works .

Interesting to see how well the lead-glass works for shielding! See the 03.6LJ6A above.
Arcstarter
Tue Jan 18 2011, 08:50PM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Great thread, Radu! This thread will be priceless for the project i am working on, which is an experimental x-ray machine like yours, with a high voltage stabilizer. I would like to get some rectifier tubes and test them as you did, too. Also, i have newfound motivation for the project, i think i'd like to go melt some lead now smile

Good luck!
Proud Mary
Tue Jan 18 2011, 09:09PM
If the 2X2 anode is made of molybdenum or nickel - which is quite probable - you will see one of the reasons why the X-ray output in the 'normal' tube polarity is so weak.

With a Mo anode, the bremsstrahlung is not plentiful, and the Kα emission only just on the edge of possible transmission through the glass.

1295383452 543 FT0 Molybdenum Spectrum

And if the anode is nickel, the Kα emission won't even get through the glass envelope:

1295383496 543 FT0 Nickel Spectrum

Notice that there is no photon emission at all between about 40keV and 55keV for either metal - a very common phenomenon.

If we believe the worst of Cold War propaganda, and imagine that these Soviet 2X2s had an anode made from old scrap iron, we have
the same picture:

1295384764 543 FT0 Iron Spectrum

1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: