All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Lateral Induction Launcher

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Chris
Wed May 31 2006, 01:17AM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
Did Chris ever finish his project?

Sort of. I have fired it several times, but never at full power, and I got bored and started to work on other things before ever firing the second stage. There are plenty of construction pics here Link2 if this helps. Also there are some documents out there on a similar device built by Sandia Labs.

but I do have steel which I could use as the "barrel"

You'd better slot that, or you will have constructed little more than a pulsed induction heater. You're probably better off supporting the coils from behind anyway, for example my coils were designed to withstand something like 10 tons of attractive force, the extrapolated peak force when fired at full power. You'll be hard pressed to support that with any reasonably thin material in between. Maybe you could try some sort of ferrous core structure that surrounds a coil of any shape, like some kind of large bobbin.
FastMHz
Wed May 31 2006, 01:59AM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
I love the hi-res pics! You have a well designed unit there...don't know how anyone could get bored with that wink Looks like your platters were being destroyed...maybe too much energy? Mine is only 3.5kj so nowhere near as powerful...
Quantum Singularity
Wed May 31 2006, 02:02AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Chris... wow it looks like you really put some work into that one. So you didnt ever get the 2nd stage working, thats a bummer. When your trying to switch this much power the multi stage idea becomes a bit harder.

One thing I have learned in this thread that I overlooked originally is the attractive force between the coils. That could doom my large scale version. But a smaller 'lytic powered version should be do-able. I guess my maxwells will have to stick to the vertically launched disk. I am curious though as to when this attractive force peaks. I am wondering if it will try to pinch the disk as it exits or assuming maybe the disk exits before peak power is reached, if most of the pinching action will occur after the projectile is clear? If that is the case then perhaps the launcher could be designed with a certain amount of flex to allow the coils to come together the 1/8" or whatever airgap is left after the disk vacates? If allowed to come together, even using 1/8" lexan under each coil will form a 'solid' piece of lexan between the coils 1/4" thick and I havent run the nbumbers but I would assume that should stand up to a few tons of force over a circular area 3.5"-5" in diameter?

To spin the disc I would use a little blob of adhesive to hold a center bearing between the coils, and use a friction drive motor to spin the disc via the outside of the ring...so it should be spinning, and upon firing the coils, the glue gives away and the spinning disc of death goes flying

I was thinking simpler like designing the 'barrel' to have a grippy material like rubber along one side (just on the very edge) and a smooth polished surface on the other. But like you said, spinning isnt high on the list.

My original idea was: low powered benchtop prototype using laptop hardrive platter (2.5") and a few hundred joules max (lytic) to perform tests and get some data. Then a higher powered 'fieldable' riffle model using maybe a couple kJ worth of lytics and 3.5" or 5" hardrive platters. Once I determined the forces at play with a couple kJ, then to design one using my larger energy discharge caps and either the 5" platter or a custom 1/4" thick aluminum platter. I guess I'll start from the bottom and work up (in terms of size and energy, that is).
Wilson
Wed May 31 2006, 04:37AM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
hehe ^^ this is all very interesting indeed.
All the best of luck quantum singularity.

btw, i might join you soon in doing some induction launcher testing ;)
Almost finished an enclosure for my 2.8kJ lytic bank. Just need to wait for the end of exams before i can do some more tests sad

Web
Plasmaniac
Wed May 31 2006, 12:52PM
Plasmaniac Registered Member #206 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 03:17PM
Do you use aluminium busbars? I had some problems with aluminium on my 2kJ bank.
Wilson
Wed May 31 2006, 02:18PM
well i use Al. I've tested it to be OK up to 1kJ. Haven't went higher yet.
Copper would probably be preferrably, since its resistance is like 1/2 that of Al, but Al is just so much cheaper... wink
FastMHz
Fri Jun 02 2006, 05:36PM
I just finished my prototype and it works rather well. Starting position of the disc seems to be critical. I'm certainly not getting anywhere near the output power I was with my standard ILs, some of that is due to the disc being 1/4" away from the coil instead of right against it. I'll do some chrono tests in a bit.
1149269760 179 FT10474 Disclauncher
Maz
Sat Jun 03 2006, 01:52AM
Maz Registered Member #111 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:04AM
Looks good!, do you think there would be much of a benifit to making the coils closer to the disk?
Wilson
Sat Jun 03 2006, 04:14AM
wow, looking good. Any construction details? It looked like epoxy and wood to me.
FastMHz
Sat Jun 03 2006, 05:46PM
Bad news - one of the coils got destroyed when I fired it at 3.5kj. The attractive force just sucked the copper right off the epoxy & wood block...

I'm sure it would work much better without the gap, but I don't have a material thin enough that can withstand the force...seem's my 1/4" hardboard flexed too much and allowed the one coil to destroy itself. I will probably abandon this prototype as I see no future for it if I can't fire it at full power. Time for a new design that I have the material to actually make...

I do know that the disc came out with enough force to seriously injure a person standing in the way, but I have no idea what the energy output really was.

This version was made of MDF, hardboard and plywood. The materals weren't damaged, but they flexed too much.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: