Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Modern AC Flyback Transformers

Move Thread LAN_403
Fiddy
Fri Aug 21 2015, 01:59AM
Fiddy Registered Member #8817 Joined: Mon Dec 17 2012, 05:16AM
LouisHV wrote ...

Hi Fiddy, gang :)

May I be rude and ask what the postage would be to Johannesburg South Africa for 4 flybacks?

If the postage is not too rough, I would like to commit.

Thanks!
Louis.

Hi Louis,

Each transformer is about 750g packed. so thats 3kg for 4 of them.

4x Transformers = 4 x $50 = $200USD

Postage = $86USD air mail or $44USD sea mail.

*Be aware sea mail can take up to 3 months delivery.

Total = $286USD or $244USD

Let me know if you are keen, i think you will be the last one that will allow me to put a order in with the supplier smile
LouisHV
Sat Aug 22 2015, 03:56PM
LouisHV Registered Member #55102 Joined: Tue May 26 2015, 12:03PM
Fiddy,

I'm in for airmail :)

I'll send you a PM for exchange of required details.

Thanks!
Louis.
Green Hornet
Thu Aug 27 2015, 01:41PM
Green Hornet Registered Member #55900 Joined: Wed Jul 22 2015, 06:14PM
Just discovered this site. I have been winding HV AC transformers for over a year and wish to purchase two of these when next batch becomes available. Let me know when you want payment. (these are going to US).
I am retired EE and if you can provide me with core demensions and material I can give you back max primary voltage vs turns before sat and some air gap data. Your pic of core leads me to belive I have run mumbers on it if it is ASM7070 material. The reason I did not choose to use it is that was marginal for the power I needed so I have been usinbg larger cores. I have never had the patience to get much above 1000 turns, ( 7 ours work), so 3000 turns looks enticing. I will just have air gap it to keep it out of sat.
Fiddy
Fri Aug 28 2015, 07:00AM
LouisHV wrote ...

Fiddy,

I'm in for airmail :)

I'll send you a PM for exchange of required details.

Thanks!
Louis.

Too easy, I put you on the list.

Green Hornet wrote ...

Just discovered this site. I have been winding HV AC transformers for over a year and wish to purchase two of these when next batch becomes available. Let me know when you want payment. (these are going to US).
I am retired EE and if you can provide me with core demensions and material I can give you back max primary voltage vs turns before sat and some air gap data. Your pic of core leads me to belive I have run mumbers on it if it is ASM7070 material. The reason I did not choose to use it is that was marginal for the power I needed so I have been usinbg larger cores. I have never had the patience to get much above 1000 turns, ( 7 ours work), so 3000 turns looks enticing. I will just have air gap it to keep it out of sat.

Put you down for 2.

I dont know the ferite material but the core dimensions are in the attached photo.

1440745250 8817 FT165666 Uy20 2
The NEYi
Fri Aug 28 2015, 02:50PM
The NEYi Registered Member #55086 Joined: Sun May 24 2015, 03:18PM
Experimented with DIY flybacks a few years ago, just bought a pair of П-type ferrites and made my own windings. Results are below. smile

It outputs only about 3 kV, but because of huge currents the output is almost MOT-like. Also, no need in oil insulation. wink
The circuit is simple ZVS, but powered with 75V.
Green Hornet
Wed Sept 09 2015, 04:00PM
Green Hornet Registered Member #55900 Joined: Wed Jul 22 2015, 06:14PM
This is a industry standasrd core size and I strongly suspect the materisal is ASTMP7070 which is the normasl for potted flybacks which would be normal for your supplier.
The industry standard specs for this 7070 material can be found at Link2 So here is a sample calculation using this xfrmr with the standard Mazilli ZVS with a .68uf tank capacitor.
The AL of this core is 2.3uh per Turn square. Choosing a primary of 10 Turns results in a primary inductance of 230uh and in the resonant Mazila Tank of .68uf results in a operating frequency of 13khz. BUT this is at 25 deg C. As core losses cause core temp to rise your AL will drop as will your max B sat. THis is why you want to run at 50kHz or less.

So using your cores cross section area, 10 turns, freq of 13khz, and a 50% margined Bsat of .25 Tesla x the 4.44 constant, yields a max VRMS across the primary of 461 VRMS. So an air gap should not be necessary to keep the core out of saturation with a DC supply up to 60V DC (remember this is a tank with a choke so VRMS accross ther tank will be approx 3- 4x the supply). If the core starts to heat up so it is "very warm" (50 deg c) to the touch,core losses will cause inductance will fall, frequency will rise, and Bsat will have fallen, which is why I used 50% of the mx Bsat of 7070 material in the formula.

The nnumbers say this should be a fine Xfrmer for use with a ZVS. You will want to use more than a 50-60 volt supply becasue the IRF260N FETs are rated at 200V and that is PK-Pk which is 1.4 x RMS which 3-4X your supply. I have made measurements with a scope accross the Mazilli tank and with a 30v supply the Pk-Pk at 50Khz is 180V, which results in each FET seeing 90V, or 50% of its max rating. DO NOT CONFUSE Pk-PK VOLTAGES WITH RMS and be aware of your instruments limitaions in measuring AC voltages over 20Khz.

Fiddy,
Looks like you have 25 Xfrms for next buy. When would you like $$$ frtom me? I am happy to pay early to helkp fund supplier if theuy want upfront
Fiddy
Thu Sept 10 2015, 02:38PM
Ill be sending out emails very soon to see whos still keen, Green Hornet, what country you in?
Fiddy
Sun Sept 13 2015, 07:55AM
PM's Sent!

Kizmo
GrantX
Avi
StevenRS
Adam

Please PM me or respond here if you would like to go ahead.

Fiddy
Tue Sept 15 2015, 09:00AM
Update!
Transformers have been purchased, 1 week manufacturing then a couple days for delivery, then i should have them.

Will post a photo of what this batch looks like when i get one!

Stay tuned.
GrantX
Fri Sept 18 2015, 09:13AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Yay! Hopefully I wasn't too late in responding, I got buried in an avalanche of hobby-killing work and failed to see the new PM.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: