Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vacuum Rectifiers X-rays report

Move Thread LAN_403
plazmatron
Fri Mar 11 2011, 10:45PM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Sorry for the delay regarding more pics, and the vacuum testing, but I am getting there! It been a busy week cry

I have already prepared a tube for the vacuum rig (removed it from its base, and carefully cut open and polished the sealing stem), and noted that the getter on the inside of the glass pretty much vanishes once the tube is up to air (as opposed to tuning milky white). Any ideas why?

Stella, how is your setup coming along?

Les
Proud Mary
Fri Mar 11 2011, 11:32PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
plazmatron wrote ...

Stella, how is your setup coming along?

Between baking bread and making great quantities of goulash, I think I'll be able to bring everything together this weekend coming. Link2

I've given a little thought to the geometry of the setup. In the light of your recent demonstration that the heat shield was the major X-ray source, I've decided to place the longitudinal axis of the valve at the apex of an equilateral triangle such that the pancake ionisation chamber is irradiated by a 60° segment across its 75mm width at a depth 10mm below the top surface - i.e. at the half-height of the chamber.

Proud Mary
Sun Mar 13 2011, 03:17PM
2X2A Inverted Mode Measurement Findings

The findings will go on in fits and starts throughout the day as edits to this post.

X-ray emission becomes statistically significant - 10% over background - at 13.5kV, with 100mm between source and detector.
Radiation tools: ZP1430 mica end window GM tube, modified Mini Instruments Mini Monitor output pulses to Black Star Nova 2400 counter-timer.
Voltage measurement: Meter Unit Type 100, 0- 18.5kV electrostatic.

________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Measurements using calibrated Fluke Victoreen Rad-Check Plus, Model 06-526, with ionisation chamber 30cc.
Energy response is ± 5% across 15kV - 65kV. Electrometer drift is 5 - 10µGy/minute typical.
Full specification is here: Link2

Cathode axis of 2x2A 40mm above ionisation chamber half-height.

Voltages are measured directly across the tube via a 1000:1 divider. (1G/1.11M into 10M DVM)
Current is measured by a protected mirror scale moving coil microammeter in the effective cathode line (i.e. the original anode)

The effective anode is held at Earth potential, and the effective cathode at HV negative.

Integration time for all readings is 10 mins.

18kV 11uA 0.00033 Gy
18kV 12uA 0.00034 Gy
18kV 14uA 0.00035 Gy

Dose rate averaged over one hour at 18kV = 2.04 mGy/hr

19kV 21uA 0.00059 Gy
19kV 21uA 0.00060 Gy
19kV 22uA 0.00061 Gy

Dose rate averaged over one hour at 19kV = 3.6 mGy/hr

20kV 44uA 0.00190 Gy
20kV 46uA 0.00200 Gy
20kV 47uA 0.00210 Gy
Dose rate averaged over one hour at 20kV = 12 mGy/hr

21kV 61uA 0.00353 Gy
21kV 64uA 0.00269 Gy
21kV 60uA 0.00351 Gy
Dose rate averaged over one hour at 21kV = 19 mGy/hr

22kV 105uA 0.01056 Gy
22kV 102uA 0.01047 Gy
22kV 106uA 0.01055 Gy
Dose rate averaged over one hour at 22kV = 63 mGy/hr

For these next readings, I had to change to a cathode current meter of lower resolution (10uA divisions), and have made only one reading per kilovolt at this stage.

23kV 160uA 0.0152 Gy
Dose rate averaged over one hour at 23kV = 91 mGy/hr

24kV 190uA 0.0194 Gy
Dose rate averaged over one hour at 24kV = 116 mGy/hr

That's it for today, though I might put up some images and diagrams later if I can find the energy.

Note the remarkable jump in X-ray output between 21 kV and 22 kV - a phenomenon needing investigation
Proud Mary
Wed Mar 16 2011, 04:07PM

Part Two - 25kV to 30kV

25kV 500μA 227 mGy/hr

I am not happy with this measurement because:

1. I could only measure the dose for 4 mins, so as not to exceed the dosimeter's maximum reading (after which it re-sets)

2. The current climbed rapidly over the 4 mins and reached full scale 500μA where it stuck when current was removed, a sign that it had wanted to go higher. (restored to use by a light tap)

3. Anode voltage had fallen to 21.6kV after the 4 mins, as a protest against too much current being drawn. I see what Les meant when he wrote of 2X2A taking all the current he could give it.

What's a girl to do? I can replace the 2.2MΩ safety resistor between the PSU and the tube with a 910kΩ 40kV type to reduce the voltage drop across it - but this may just encourage the 2X2A to guzzle even more current.

Anyway, I have to replace the 500μA moving coil meter with a 1mA type and increase the distance between the tube and the ionization chamber before I can carry on.
Proud Mary
Wed Mar 16 2011, 05:06PM

With 1000uA meter: At 25kV almost exactly 1mA was drawn, so 2.2kV was dropped across the 2.2MΩ safety resistor. My variac was wound up to the maximum and my dog's breakfast of a power supply could deliver no more!

I'm having no difficulty at all in resisting the temptation to over-stretch my PSU. With instabilities setting in, and the tube temperature rising steeply, trying to push it further would just be an expensive waste of good parts, time and money. Failure of something can't be much further down the road.

I have to make some paprika dumplings now, which will give me time to decide in which direction to go next.

Errata

For some reason, I assumed that 1mA was where the meter needle came to a halt, but I now see that the current had exceeded 1mA, and was stopped by the end of the scale.

I'll have to sort out some nichrome wire to make a shunt, as I don't have a 5mA FSD moving coil meter, and wouldn't risk a DVM in such an unruly circuit.
Proud Mary
Wed Mar 16 2011, 07:41PM
A 500uA 100Ω panel meter now turned into a 5mA one by means of an 11Ω shunt, I found that the meter read only the barest increment over 1mA with the HT turned up to 26kV.
radhoo
Sat Mar 19 2011, 10:12AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I've given a little thought to the geometry of the setup. In the light of your recent demonstration that the heat shield was the major X-ray source, I've decided to place the longitudinal axis of the valve at the apex of an equilateral triangle such that the pancake ionisation chamber is irradiated by a 60° segment across its 75mm width at a depth 10mm below the top surface - i.e. at the half-height of the chamber.
Would be extremely helpful to add a few pictures/diagrams for all geometry related tests, but also for your measurements (V/A) (even some hand made sketches), and if I'm not asking too much a photo of the entire setup - Since the users here speak tens of languages, pictures are extremely valuable.

Keep the measurements coming! I'd like to see some readings over 50KV.

LE: for X-rays the Gray results numerically equal to the Sievert. Might be an useful observation when comparing the emissions above with various values found in other sources (dental x-ray dose, CT scan, etc).

* Living near a nuclear power station: 0.0001–0.01 mSv/year
* Cosmic radiation (from sky) at sea level: 0.24 mSv/year
* Terrestrial radiation (from ground): 0.28 mSv/year
* Natural radiation in the human body: 0.40 mSv/year
* Average individual background radiation dose: 2 mSv/year; 1.5 mSv/year for Australians, 3.0 mSv/year for Americans
* New York-Tokyo flights for airline crew: 9 mSv/year
* Atmospheric sources (mostly radon): 2 mSv/year
* Total average radiation dose for Americans: 6.2 mSv/year
* Current average limit for nuclear workers: 20 mSv/year
* Lowest clearly carcinogenic level: 100 mSv/year
* Elevated limit for workers during Fukushima emergency: 250 mSv/year

Acute radiation:
* 0 – 0.25 Sv (0 - 250 mSv): None
* 0.25 – 1 Sv (250 - 1000 mSv): Some people feel nausea and loss of appetite; bone marrow, lymph nodes, spleen damaged.

Some common examples:
* Dental radiography: 0.005 mSv
* Mammogram: 3 mSv
* Brain CT scan: 0.8–5 mSv
* Chest CT scan: 6–18 mSv
* Gastrointestinal series X-ray investigation: 14 mSv

And some uncommon (sense) examples:
* International Commission on Radiological Protection recommended limit for volunteers averting major nuclear escalation: 500 mSv
* International Commission on Radiological Protection recommended limit for volunteers rescuing lives or preventing serious injuries: 1000 mSv
Proud Mary
Sat Mar 19 2011, 11:42AM
Radu, I hope I shall be able to spare four or five hours tomorrow - Sunday - and hope to do the X-ray output and current measurements for 25 - 30kV, and take some pictures for you. With the last run it took me about an hour to do each kV. (Great quantities of tea are needed! smile )

It would not be correct to use Sievert units in our calculations. While the Weighting Factor ("W") for X-ray photons is 1, such that 1 Gy = 1 Sv for X-rays, the Sievert is a unit used in the radiobiology of living systems, with which our experiments are not concerned. (But if we were to make a risk assessment of the experiments, then we would use the Sievert.)

Have you tried out your new dental tube yet? Don't blow that filament! smile

radhoo
Sat Mar 19 2011, 12:08PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Not yet, but I'll be careful :)
Proud Mary
Sat Mar 19 2011, 02:26PM
radhoo wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

Not yet, but I'll be careful :)

For grounded anode tubes, where the heater supply must be 'floating,' I use up to 3 x 1.2V 9 AH NiMH cells or 2 x 2V 8AH lead acid acid, in series with a CCCP ceramic 5Ω 100W variable resistor to set the desired filament voltage. Not 'hi-tech' but it works very well, and cannot be killed by rogue spikes. It also has good intrinsic safety, because the batteries will die and stop further X-ray production if the apparatus is left running unattended for any length of time.

For grounded cathode circuits, I have found the variable voltage regulator LM338K very good for providing 1.2V - 3.0V, at up to 5A, the usual range needed for XRF and XRD tube filaments.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: