Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

OMG Induction Heater

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Mon Mar 26 2012, 06:59AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Iamsmooth: I've levitated a small piece of aluminium tube, but I had to push the setup to the absolute limit. I turned the current limit up too high, and when the piece melted, it got unstable and fell out of the coil, and my IGBTs went boom.

Levitating a solid sphere of metal would take lots more power.
Dago
Mon Mar 26 2012, 10:17AM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
I wonder why (all?) commercial heaters use the LCLR-topology, cause the poor power factor does make it sound pretty bad? Can you compensate the poor power factor in any way?
Steve Conner
Mon Mar 26 2012, 10:23AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, if you drive it at the correct frequency, you get unity power factor just the same as the series resonant.

The correct frequency is not the resonant frequency of the tank circuit, but slightly above, where the tank circuit appears as a capacitive reactance of the right magnitude to cancel the inductive reactance of the matching inductor.

Ameritherm's small heaters use series resonant. I got the idea from some gut shots that were shared in the 4hv chat years ago.
IamSmooth
Mon Mar 26 2012, 01:25PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
As I mentioned earlier, I used series resonant, got it up to 12kw of power and did all kinds of crazy stuff. At these power levels you need to make sure you stay slightly above as Steve mentioned. If you start get to the true resonance or below the switches will go boom. I put a 60A fast-blow going to the inverter to protect my board from secondary frying if the switches shorted.

I minimized my switching loses with lower frequencies and fast turnon/turnoffs. One issue with faster transitions is the ringing, which has to get snubbed, or else you will have a worse situation. As far as the frequency: while I used lower frequencie for melting bricks of iron, I used frequencies close to 120 kHz, but was still able to get rid of the heat without compromising the mosfets.

You might want to consider using mosfets if you are using frequencies above 20-30khz.
Gabriel35
Mon Mar 26 2012, 01:41PM
Gabriel35 Registered Member #2310 Joined: Wed Aug 19 2009, 08:04PM
The discussion Is getting Interesting!
Unfortunatly I've never succeded with a PLL driven Induction Heater, But I'll not stop trying...

Currently I'm in doubt of what topology to use...
I'll try some of them and see what happens...
Kizmo
Mon Mar 26 2012, 03:40PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
IamSmooth wrote ...

As I mentioned earlier, I used series resonant, got it up to 12kw of power and did all kinds of crazy stuff. At these power levels you need to make sure you stay slightly above as Steve mentioned. If you start get to the true resonance or below the switches will go boom. I put a 60A fast-blow going to the inverter to protect my board from secondary frying if the switches shorted.

DRSSTCs are switched at perfect resonance at current zero crossings and they dont blow up...?

EDIT:

I guess i have to explain my idea of how im going to do this heater.

Series resonant tank circuit. 10µF 1kA celem capacitor, about 3µH work coil + stray inductance. Resonates roughly at 29kHz. Coupling transformer is just large ferrite transformer with 1:10..1:20 ratio. Feedback is taken from tank circuit current with measuring capacitor (150nF cap in parallel with celem and small ferrite CT). Inverter is igbt half bridge powered by rectified 3 phase and im not planning to use any filter capacitance on bridge, just couple µF worth of film caps. Driver is normal DRSSTC driver with interrupter.

Interrupter would be outputting pulses with 0-99% ON time. Idea behind this is to be able to have at least some sort of power control by varying on time. Drsstc has of course zero crossings synchronized over current protection which in this case would be measuring inverter output current. I guess if needed i could add another overcurrent protection circuit that measures tank current via same measuring capacitor. That would serve as tank capacitor over current/voltage protection.

Due to my limited knowledge, i dont see why this kind of contraption wouldnt work. At least it has proven itself in drsstc world. If you see potential problems, please stop me before i waste my time ;)

Mcu controlled PLL driver is *far* too complicated for my knowledge frown

GeordieBoy
Mon Apr 02 2012, 11:48AM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
> But Richie says the LCLR is theoretically better. I can't remember why, maybe he can comment?

The work-coil circuit is really just an impedance matching network to convert the unfeasibly low impedance of a lump of solid metal up to a figure that is realistic to present to a solid-state inverter running directly off the mains line. I don't think it really matters how you achieve this impedance transformation as long as it is done efficiently because the currents and voltages at work in IH are large.

I prefer the LCLR network for a number of reasons:

1. It keeps the enormous induction-heating current confined to the work-coil / tank capacitor loop. This loop can be made very small and may be located remotely from the inverter.

2. It does away with the need for a high-power high-frequency transformer requiring careful design to minimise core/copper losses and water cooling to carry away the heat from whatever dissipation remains.

3. It is better to alter the impedance matching by varying the air gap in the matching inductor than to change taps on a transformer. A multi-tap transformer implies poor winding window utilisation for certain tap choices resulting in an overall bigger transformer unless series/parallel winding combinations are used.

4. Stray inductance in the wiring between the inverter and the heat station merely adds to the matching inductance, rather than adding to the work coil inductance and reducing coupling to the workpiece.

5. The LCLR network presents a light inductive load to the inverter in the case of a tank capacitor or work-coil short circuit making the system s/c tolerant to faults at the heat station.

6. If the matching inductor is located close to the inverter it reduces HF switching noise leaving the enclosure improving EMI performance.

7. In high-power systems the tank circuit can be fed from several inverters in parallel through several matching inductors. The "ballasting action" of the matching inductors provides inherent current sharing. It also limits the "shoot-between" currents resulting from imperfect syncronisation of the inverters' switching transitions. (This way solid-state systems in the MW and 100's of kHz range can be realised with a high level of redundancy.)

The downsides of the LCLR matching network are:

1. It is more complex to understand the resonance transformation than impedance transformation with a transformer.

2. Leakage fields from the matching inductor can heat nearby metal enclosure!

3. No galvanic isolation of the work-coil from the mains line.

-Richie,
IamSmooth
Mon Apr 02 2012, 09:30PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
GeordieBoy wrote ...

I prefer the LCLR network for a number of reasons:

-Richie,

Richie, you must have seen my schematic for the work coil. It is a coupling transformer from the switches (10-20:1) around the wire going to a series LC tank. If I were to improve the tank circuit, what would I need to do? A different topology or is this one reasonable? I was able to abuse it without failure, but I'm always interested in other and better ways of doing things.
GeordieBoy
Tue Apr 03 2012, 11:50AM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
hey, if it aint broke then don't fix it! If it meets your requirements and even survived abuse without catching fire then it doesn't sound like you have anything defficient to improve.

-Richie,
Kizmo
Sun Apr 08 2012, 07:10AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Series resonant version has been great success.

1333868846 599 FT36475 Melting

Some youtube clips

Link2 Boiling water
Link2 Melting car motor parts
Link2 Aluminum heating fail :)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: