All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Royer induction heater

Move Thread LAN_403
StevenRS
Thu Jan 29 2015, 06:48PM
StevenRS Registered Member #54367 Joined: Wed Jan 28 2015, 05:39PM
So, I decided to jump on the induction heating bandwagon finally. I actually *need* one to quickly heat up a thin steel band, 1" wide and .015" thick so I can quench it as I draw it through the heater. This is the schematic I've come up with, with modifications to deal with my particular PSU.

Be74d50ed6

I already have all the parts, and have tested discrete elements of it. Before I hook it all up, does anyone have any concerns/criticisms? I could replace the mosfet that switches the circuit on once the cap is charged with a relay, but it should only dissipate about 10 watts.

I also am thinking about adding a simple overcurrent protection circuit to it, but not sure about the best way to do that. Ideally I would like to detect a latchup and switch it off via the capacitor charge detector mosfet.

What I would really like is a way to drive the mosfet gates down faster, because it looks like the vast majority of their dissipation happens because they both enter linear operation simultaneously, with once switching off and the other on. I wonder if a slightly asymmetrical design could make sure one switches faster than the other and reduce dissipation while preventing latchup without blowing everything to pieces. Will experiment, and post pictures soon.

Also, if anyone wants it I attached the spice schematic I've been playing with. I changed the filter cap's value to 1000µ so the simulation starts in a reasonable amount of time, otherwise it takes AGES to start oscillating (It does, though). You will need to place the two files for the fast diodes and irfp260's into your LTspice top dir for it to run.

]royer_induction_heater.zip[/file]
hen918
Fri Jan 30 2015, 04:27PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Are you sure this will be powerful enough?
You may need to double up on the MOSFETs and I would make the coupling inductors out of ferrite cored pipe, and the cap banks out of many, many, small caps(I like polypropylene tubular audio caps 0.1uf)
You'll have to tune it to get close coupling with your work-piece.

Good luck! (I've made Royer oscillator type IHs and never got them very efficient.)
Experimentonomen
Sat Jan 31 2015, 12:53PM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
You might wanna look into Neon John's "ROY" circuit which is a improved version of the royer/mazzilli circuit.
hen918
Sat Jan 31 2015, 02:39PM
Experimentonomen wrote ...

You might wanna look into Neon John's "ROY" circuit which is a improved version of the royer/mazzilli circuit.

Please note that the "ROY" circuit is designed for rectified 110v AC not 240v AC
StevenRS
Sat Jan 31 2015, 04:32PM
StevenRS Registered Member #54367 Joined: Wed Jan 28 2015, 05:39PM
Forgot to mention that my cap is made of I think 18 or 19 polypropylene film caps, soldered directly to a chunk of bus bar.

I'm going to assemble it today, we will see how it goes!
mister_rf
Sun Feb 01 2015, 04:42PM
mister_rf Registered Member #4465 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:37AM
Hi, I was able to test this Royer Oscillator design. shades
Instead of IRFP260N I have used the IXFK140N30P MOSFET transistors. No additional circuits for latch-up protection, just a small switch to connect the power to the gates after the main power on. Main capacitor =4.4uF, made from a bunch of 20 polypropylene film caps, the 940C series. The power supply used for the test provide 50V and the current up to 40-50 amps. I used to measure the current by a small 0.1 ohm shunt resistor.
For the no load condition, I=6-7 amps and on load the current rise up to 30 amps. Please see the attached video.

Claude
Mon Feb 02 2015, 02:40AM
Claude Registered Member #3379 Joined: Mon Nov 01 2010, 06:34AM
Hello I am able to obtain a large quantity of wima 0.1uf MKC capacitors. I am wondering if these will be ok for a small induction heater project as they are metallised polycarbonate.
Mads Barnkob
Mon Feb 02 2015, 06:33AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
mister_rf wrote ...

No additional circuits for latch-up protection, just a small switch to connect the power to the gates after the main power on.

You need it the other way around. Without power on the gate, you have no idea if they are open, closed or somewhere in between.
mister_rf
Mon Feb 02 2015, 09:16AM
mister_rf Registered Member #4465 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:37AM
I need to give all details about the schematics I have used for.
That’s the one including some additional resistors and diodes: shades

1422868334 4465 FT1630 Royer V01

hen918
Mon Feb 02 2015, 09:25PM
I would advise pulling both gates down via diodes to turn it off. works very well and means that the MOSFETs do all of the switching, which they are very good at!
btw this was Uzzor's idea, not mine

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: