All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

CCPS (Capacitor Charging Power Supply)

Move Thread LAN_403
Sun Jun 08 2008, 06:32PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
WOW, that is really impressive... I hope you can manage to keep the oil inside the tank. Also, lets hope you don't manage to smoke those diodes since they are going to be impossible to replace...

As to the connector, would it be possible to solder in the wires and then pot the mess in some epoxy/rtv/etc to make sure it is waterproof?

I also do worry a little that as stuff heat up in there you will pressurise the tank, which is going to really test the quality of your seals...
Marko
Sun Jun 08 2008, 06:38PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Actually, the "floor" is the lid, so the transformer and rectifier is suspended from the lid rather than standing on the floor.

That is what I meant?

We are going to use standard N Clamp Plugs for RG213. The RG213 will probably be stripped of it`s outher shell, as well as the braid.

Yeah, I guess it would be OK considering it's on plastic, but don't you think a bushing would look neater? smile And are you sure that connector is oil-proof? (if everything is going to sink into oil... But I guess some silicone could fix that.

What about expansion of the oil? It is surely going to start leaking out unless it has a vent.
If you wish to have no air in the chamber you should add a expansion tank on the top I guess.

Marko
Finn Hammer
Sun Jun 08 2008, 07:40PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Dr. Arc flash wrote ...

Actually, the "floor" is the lid, so the transformer and rectifier is suspended from the lid rather than standing on the floor.

That is what I meant?
ok!
Dr. Arc flash wrote ...

We are going to use standard N Clamp Plugs for RG213. The RG213 will probably be stripped of it`s outher shell, as well as the braid.

Yeah, I guess it would be OK considering it's on plastic, but don't you think a bushing would look neater? smile And are you sure that connector is oil-proof? (if everything is going to sink into oil... But I guess some silicone could fix that.
Bushings would look neat, but I dislike having to use nuts and washers for these connections. Better with a bayonet style plug or in this case, a plug with tne threaded part attached....
The N connector is oil proof.
Dr. Arc flash wrote ...

What about expansion of the oil? It is surely going to start leaking out unless it has a vent.
If you wish to have no air in the chamber you should add a expansion tank on the top I guess.

Marko

We are leaving about 10mm of air at the top of the tank, so the filler plug will have a felt covered hole for pressure relief.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
GeordieBoy
Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:27PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Finn, do you have anything in place to stop the core pieces from sliding apart sideways? I can see that they are clamped from above, but it might be worth constraining them so they can't move apart sideways. Any shifting of the core halves due to vibration or magnetostriction might otherwise gradually upset the tuning of your SLR inverter. Even a simple spot of glue at the edge of the mated surfaces should be sufficient, and might prevent headaches caused by movement later.

Flyback converters, and SLR to a lesser extent are quite sensitive to relative movement of the core halves or changes in air gap.

-Richie,
Finn Hammer
Mon Jun 09 2008, 10:34PM
GeordieBoy wrote ...

Finn, do you have anything in place to stop the core pieces from sliding apart sideways? I can see that they are clamped from above, but it might be worth constraining them so they can't move apart sideways. Any shifting of the core halves due to vibration or magnetostriction might otherwise gradually upset the tuning of your SLR inverter. Even a simple spot of glue at the edge of the mated surfaces should be sufficient, and might prevent headaches caused by movement later.

Flyback converters, and SLR to a lesser extent are quite sensitive to relative movement of the core halves or changes in air gap.

-Richie,

Thanks for the tip, Richie, I wouldn`t have thought of that. I would be more inclined to keep the cores virgin to facilitate dismantling during post mortem wink.
Anyway, a small glob og silicone glue is now destined to go where it matters.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
GeordieBoy
Mon Jun 09 2008, 10:37PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Sometimes it helps to keep it so you can dismantle and even investigage the effects of mis-alignment initially. But once it is all working to your satisfaction i'd apply that spot of glue either side, just to make sure nothing drifts over time.
Alex McCown
Tue Jun 10 2008, 01:17AM
Alex McCown Registered Member #1528 Joined: Tue Jun 10 2008, 01:08AM
when do you expect to show us first light? (aprox. month)
Finn Hammer
Wed Jun 11 2008, 06:18PM
Alex McCown wrote ...

when do you expect to show us first light? (aprox. month)

First light was long ago. 2nd and 3rd followed in short order. wink

Anyway, this iteration should shine brightly (hopefully in the right places) within a couple of months.
Present most obvious obstacle is a 3 week leadtime on the resonant capacitors.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
uzzors2k
Sat Jun 14 2008, 04:00PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Amazing work. Those cooling fins make it look like a miniature version of one of those mega power transformers!
bob golding
Sat Jun 14 2008, 11:14PM
bob golding Registered Member #1084 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2007, 08:58PM
hi finn will we be seeing your ccps at cambridge this year? last week of october. still need to confirm it with the museum .

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: