All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Electronic ignition thread

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Mar 05 2014, 10:25PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Aluminium fuel tank arrived today

1394058402 3414 FT1630 Tank

I'll post another photo after it's polished and fitted with a fuel cap.
paris
Fri Apr 04 2014, 01:57AM
paris Registered Member #3042 Joined: Wed Jul 28 2010, 12:36AM
I keep a keen eye on this thread
(.... PENDINE SANDS is up soon , this weekend me thinks , not sure)
Ash Small
Fri Apr 04 2014, 04:11AM
paris wrote ...

I keep a keen eye on this thread
(.... PENDINE SANDS is up soon , this weekend me thinks , not sure)

I looked into it a couple of weeks ago, and apparently it's not happening this year, although there is a car event around the last weekend in June. Link2

EDIT: The thing that's holding up progress on this thread at the moment is a lack of affordable high speed mosfets (around 10nS switching time, not including delay, around 1200V and around 30A continuous (60A to 80A pulsed). There is some room for manouvre, but the 5nS switching time mosfets used in the pulse generator linked to above are £40 each from Farnell, and the only other ones I've found that come close are very reasonably priced, but are in California and the postage costs are ridiculous, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

EDIT: RS is now stocking these: Link2 which aren't too far off the mark. I'll have to see what others are in the ST range. These have 78A pulse rating, but switching times are a little slow, nearly 15nS and only 800V. Price is good though, £2.33 each if I order 50. They should certainly be good enough to run some initial tests, but I'll keep looking for a while longer.

Link to the ST range of SuperMESHâ„¢ 5 power MOSFETs Link2
Ash Small
Tue Aug 19 2014, 10:50PM
If anyone is still following this thread, the twin disc WP upsidedownies arrived a couple of days ago, and I fitted them to a set of yokes (triple tree) today;

1408488674 3414 FT1630 Dscf1261

paris
Thu Aug 28 2014, 09:08PM
your money . and the MOSFETs ?
Ash Small
Tue Sept 02 2014, 08:45PM
paris wrote ...

your money . and the MOSFETs ?

Not quite sure what your point is, but as new MOSFET's are becoming available all the time, and the fast ones are getting cheaper, I'm in no immediate hurry to order MOSFET's while I still need to get other parts etc.

I am planning to build some test circuits using slower, cheaper MOSFET's, but again, the technology is developing, so I feel I'm better off getting other parts as they become available on Ebay, etc.

I'm also considering some of the points Sulaiman mentioned above, such as insulation for ~100nS pulses @ ~50kV.

The yokes I had (pictured above) turned out to be 30mm too close together to get the hub and discs I have into, but I managed to get some suitable ones (from two different sellers) on Ebay, which arrived this weekend:

1409690731 3414 FT153912 Dscf1293 2

The bottom yoke will need 3mm sleeves machined, though wink
paris
Sat Sept 06 2014, 06:08AM
no not smart mouthing .
been reading article on XS650 crank rephasing from 360 to 270 hmm lot to it
Ash Small
Sat Sept 06 2014, 01:59PM
paris wrote ...

been reading article on XS650 crank rephasing from 360 to 270 hmm lot to it

Is the XS650 crank one piece, or does it bolt together? I can't remember offhand.

It's basically just crank and cams. Some of the early Japanese camshafts were bolt together too, if I remember correctly.

Obviously ignition timing needs sorting too, but that's usually pretty straight forward. You can also have issues with single carburettors, but if I remember correctly, all the XS's were twin carb.

Obviously, a one piece crank machined from something like EN21 ( I can't remember offhand what the Weslake cranks are machined from, it may be EN24, but I can check) would be a lot stronger. I'd love to have space for a bigger lathe wink
paris
Sat Sept 06 2014, 08:18PM
Ok , so weve established ,you havent got XS650 cheesey
phil irving was all for rephasing triumph but they disagreed!! (with irving, thats just wrong)

the XS crank is all pressed together.

Im keen to see how ign will turn out . 2 strokes are so fast reving surely they must be reliable for 4 strokes at half the speed ??
Ash Small
Sat Sept 06 2014, 09:44PM
paris wrote ...

phil irving was all for rephasing triumph but they disagreed!! (with irving, thats just wrong)
I think Triumph tried it with some of the unit 350's, at least a mate of mine had a 90 degree 3TA when I was a teenager, I assumed it was a standard 'factory job'. Most of the talk on Brit Bike Forum regarding 90 degree and 76 degree cranks relates to Triumph based stuff. Weslake has been producing them for years. I've also come across some 90 degree Weslake cranks for Nortons (The Norton crank can be squeezed into Triumph cases as well, and there are loads of Norton based diaphragm clutch kits that will fit other engines.)

paris wrote ...

the XS crank is all pressed together.

Can you unbolt it and turn one side through 90 degrees, then bolt it back together? (You'd still be better off with a one piece crank though, as I mentioned above. This would also facilitate a longer stroke. I've come across a few long stroke XS's, I think the biggest worked out at ~1,000cc's, maybe even bigger.)

paris wrote ...

Im keen to see how ign will turn out . 2 strokes are so fast reving surely they must be reliable for 4 strokes at half the speed ??

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm only aiming for around 5000 RPM with this project, with separate coils for each cylinder, although the same principle, with sufficiently fast (read 'expensive') MOSFET's, should be able to be adapted for higher RPM.

As an aside, when Jaguar developed the V12 engine, they had to have special coils developed, as the existing V8 coils weren't up to the job (I think I touched on this earlier in the thread as well).

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: