All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vacuum Rectifiers X-rays report

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Thu Feb 24 2011, 05:01PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I've just noticed a used dental tube on fleabay UK, a buy-it-now for £20.

It looks a bit forlorn and sorry for itself, but the seller says the filament is good.

It's not my kind of thing at all, but it might be good as a starter tube for someone here, but as ever with ebay, caveat emptor!

Link2
Wolfram
Thu Feb 24 2011, 05:16PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I've just noticed a used dental tube on fleabay UK, a buy-it-now for £20.

It looks a bit forlorn and sorry for itself, but the seller says the filament is good.

It's not my kind of thing at all, but it might be good as a starter tube for someone here, but as ever with ebay, caveat emptor!

Link2

That tube is not in bad condition, the glass is a bit dirty and a pin is bent, but aside from that it looks fine. It actually looks to be of the biased filament cup variety, as it has three pins with solder on them.
radhoo
Thu Feb 24 2011, 05:39PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Stella, I just remembered: for my HV multiplier supply I use a 20KOhm HV limiting resistor (taken from an old TV).

Anders, from what book is the page you've scanned? How should we interpret the pinhole image results in the case of the 2x2?

Nice tube on Ebay. Are you guys interested in it, or can I try my luck?

Proud Mary
Thu Feb 24 2011, 05:42PM
radhoo wrote ...

Nice tube on Ebay. Are you guys interested in it, or can I try my luck?

Get it before it goes, Radu! If you don't, someone else will at that price.
Wolfram
Fri Feb 25 2011, 10:45AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
radhoo wrote ...

Anders, from what book is the page you've scanned? How should we interpret the pinhole image results in the case of the 2x2?

The scan is from "The Essential Physics of Medical Imaging, Second Edition" , this is an excellent book about these kinds of things. It even contains energy response curves for (Gd2O2S-based) fluorescent screens and all sorts of other information that's hard to find anywhere else. I've read a few medical books on radiography, and most of them concentrate on patient positioning and image interpretation, they usually contain very little useful information, but this book is an exception to that rule, and I can recommend it to anyone with an interest in x-rays.

When we're on the subject of good x-ray books, I can also recommend "X-ray Studies" from General Electric, which is freely available on archive.org Link2 . It's a collection of papers on hot-cathode x-ray tubes and related subjects. It includes W.D. Coolidge's original paper on the hot-cathode x-ray tube and some follow-up papers, and a lot of other interesting documents.

I'm not sure how I would interpret your 2X2 pinhole images. As you say it seems very paradoxical. Maybe Plazmatron's experiments will clear things up, when he receives his 2X2s.

plazmatron
Sat Feb 26 2011, 12:13AM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
My 2X2's turned up today, thanks to Gintaras!

So first off I had to test this out! The radiation this little tube produces is totally amazing! It will actually conduct mA's if pushed hard enough, but of course this will quickly destroy it.

So I set up the pinhole camera, and produced a pair of images that settles where the radiation comes from.

Nearly all of the x-rays come from..................the heat shield, making the edge of the anode bell the most likely emitter of electrons. (I had had incorrectly surmised the entire surface was emitting electrons in the direction of the heater)

The photo below is a pinhole image looking down onto the heat shield.

The top surface of the shield is obviously a bright emitter of x-rays. The black structure in the middle is the heater and cathode support obscuring the x-rays.

Note underneath the heat shield some of the glass support can be seen, (note also the hole for evacuation!) There are slots cut in the heat shield, so electron beams make their way through, and impinge on the glass support, causing parts of it to emit x-rays.

1298677862 1134 FT106277 2x21

Below is another view of the 2X2 this time looking up towards the underneath of the heat shield.
Note the original heated cathode is a poor emitter of x-rays, and is actually emitting less x-rays than the glass support is! Note also that the underside of the heat shield is visible since the x-rays produced at the top surface make their way though.

1298677862 1134 FT106277 2x22

Les
Proud Mary
Sat Feb 26 2011, 12:58AM
What super images, Les. Well done! smile

Didn't someone identify the heat shield as the probable X-ray emitter earlier in the thread?

The radiation on the underside of the shield must inevitably contain the characteristic spectra of the metallic elements used in the shield, including the pressed barium alloy 'pill', in addition to any target transmission shoot-through.

Anyway, that's all absolutely capital, and I'm looking forward to making my own experimental contribution this weekend, with dose rate measurements for the 2X2A.

I've potted the C&W module, so now only have the experimental jig to improvise out of lab scaffolding and stock lead laminates.

plazmatron
Sat Feb 26 2011, 01:17AM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Didn't someone identify the heat shield as the probable X-ray emitter earlier in the thread?

Thanks! I thought someone had mentioned it too, but I cant find the comment in the thread, I had thought it was you. Maybe it was Radhoo?
All of this is coming together quite nicely.

Proud Mary wrote ...

The radiation on the underside of the shield must inevitably contain the characteristic spectra of the metallic elements used in the shield, including the pressed barium alloy 'pill', in addition to any target transmission shoot-through.

Absolutely. Do you know anyone with Sprectrometer? smile

Proud Mary wrote ...

I've potted the C&W module, so now only have the experimental jig to improvise out of lab scaffolding and

The tube I tried drew whatever current my HV supply would throw at it. Yours being somewhat beefier than mine, will need quite a bit of ballast resistance to stop the tube vapourising! smile

Les

Proud Mary
Sat Feb 26 2011, 01:50AM
plazmatron wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

Thanks! I thought someone had mentioned it too, but I cant find the comment in the thread, I had thought it was you. Maybe it was Radhoo?
All of this is coming together quite nicely.

I first proposed the shielding plate as the source on

Tue Jan 18 2011, 04:02PM

when I wrote:

Thinking about the concentric shadow surrounding the anode shadow in your radiograph, I wonder if it can be the longitudinal shadow of the anode bell from X-ray photons produced by field electron impacts on the circular shielding plate?

It certainly is an interesting feature worth investigating. If you have a good magnet, and place it near the shielding plate it might cause sufficient disturbance of the field emission electrons to show up on the radiograph

Which started me off on making a detailed investigation of the heat shield.

Now, Les, if you were to locate a strong magnet abreast of the heat shield, and then take another pin hole radiograph, we may see something of interest.

plazmatron wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

Absolutely. Do you know anyone with Sprectrometer? smile

I think I can feel an energy dispersal moment coming on: cheesey

radhoo
Sat Feb 26 2011, 01:58PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
The shielding plate seems to be a good answer for several observed aspects:
- why do we get two concentric shadow rings, when the tube is placed with the anode perpendicular to the fluorescent screen (one would be the anode cap, the other could be from the anode bell)
- the uniform distribution of the x-ray emission, all around the tube
- the good performance at 45 degrees
- the different performance between the Russian variant and the USA variant (that doesn't have a heat shield)

EDIT: for some reason I missed Les' post so here are a few comments:
plazmatron wrote ...

It will actually conduct mA's if pushed hard enough, but of course this will quickly destroy it.
My 100uAmp-meter went off-scale in normal polarization, and I was using a limiting resistor.

What surprised me event further, is that even if the glass envelope can get warm after a few radiographs (a few sets of 15sec usage), I've seen no metal part getting incandescent (in the Russian Variant).

plazmatron wrote ...

Nearly all of the x-rays come from..................the heat shield, making the edge of the anode bell the most likely emitter of electrons. (I had had incorrectly surmised the entire surface was emitting electrons in the direction of the heater)
Well, who would have had imagined such a trajectory for the electrons?

plazmatron wrote ...

Below is another view of the 2X2 this time looking up towards the underneath of the heat shield.
Note the original heated cathode is a poor emitter of x-rays, and is actually emitting less x-rays than the glass support is! Note also that the underside of the heat shield is visible since the x-rays produced at the top surface make their way though.
Can you post a photo showing your setup for this experiment?
What have you used to record those pictures with such an excellent quality?

ps: I got the tube on ebay. hope will perform better than the 2X2s :)

ps2: Les' images with some additional software enhacement. I would really like to know more on how these photos where made. Great job, so many details visible!
1298729569 1938 FT0 1298677862 1134 Ft106277 2x21 1298729569 1938 FT0 1298677862 1134 Ft106277 2x22

ps3: Still if the shield is a target for the electrons coming from above, how come we get so much radiation in the shield's plane? Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: