Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
05/30 Quantum Singularity (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[moved] 24,000j Capacitor Bank (Now Complete)

Move Thread LAN_403
Tesladownunder
Fri Apr 24 2009, 02:09AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
FastMHz wrote ...

It'd be rather neat if I could get a *low cost* accelerometer

Silicon based accelerometers running to 5g wont do it. The forces are acting only over a few cm and must be in the order of well over 20G. Hard to measure as metal will deform at these forces and reduce the acceleration.
Simplest to measure kinetic energy gained is to use a variant of the ballistic pendulum. Basically see how high it flies and do the simple physics. If it is a light object like a drink can and air friction is an issue, fire it into a heavy padded object that will catch it and see how high that goes (momentum is conserved).

Secondly, I am still concerned about cap failure. I bet you didn't fail with 24kJ charged. Probably cap failed on the reverse ringdown when a lot of the energy is gone then was short when charging was attempted so didn't reaccumulate.
24kJ into single cap = b o m b
FastMHz
Fri Apr 24 2009, 04:34AM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Actually, failure occured during charge....what a surprise that was, blew through the lexan cover and all.

Not sure that any electronic accelerometer would survive these forces, or the EMP. I think the 'ShockWatch' may be my answer...or video analysis. I should get Discovery's TimeWarp to do a segment on my launchers!!
Finn Hammer
Fri Apr 24 2009, 04:59AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
FastMHz wrote ...

Actually, failure occured during charge....what a surprise that was, blew through the lexan cover and all.

Not sure that any electronic accelerometer would survive these forces, or the EMP. I think the 'ShockWatch' may be my answer...or video analysis. I should get Discovery's TimeWarp to do a segment on my launchers!!
I have a 2kJ disk launcher.
I launch 4" dia. by 3/4 inch thick aluminum slugs with it.
They fly 20 meters into the air. Haven't measured it, but I estimate like that.
Thick discs is the key to high flying objects, in my opinion.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
FastMHz
Fri Apr 24 2009, 08:54PM
I found that as well, thicker seems to work better than thinner....the only problem is thicker ones come down harder too :-o I have 1/4" on my bucket, a 11" diameter 1/2" platter might weigh so much that it'd cancel out the gains...if only I had a chunk of aluminum that big to try.
Tesladownunder
Tue Aug 11 2009, 12:37PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Is there any more news on the launcher. Caps still functioning? Things launched etc
FastMHz
Fri Dec 25 2009, 06:13PM
Yes, the system is still operational! I have yet to launch the bucket from the giant coil as other things have taken priority, but it will happen! On the other hand, the bank has been utilized for purely entertainment purposes a few times as can be seen in my YouTube videos. Regards
teravolt
Mon Dec 28 2009, 08:21AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
nice work FastMHz, I am surprized that the caps haven't shorted between the cans yet. I wanted to try this expieriment but using 6 scrs with 6 banks in seqence but I got nevice because if 1 bank fails the others will dump into that one bank. are you using gradeing resistors? can you poast a link to your youtube vid. thanks NB
FastMHz
Mon Dec 28 2009, 06:19PM
All my videos can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/fastmhz

And technical information is on my blog:

http://www.fastmhz.com

Hope everyone had a spectacular holiday!!
RogerInOhio
Wed Dec 30 2009, 02:05AM
RogerInOhio Registered Member #1034 Joined: Sat Sept 29 2007, 12:50PM
Hi Ceyn, I love your pancake coils. That is really a neat way to launch things. One thing I was wondering about though is if you discharge your capacitor bank into an inductive load doesn't the thing oscillate causing the capacitors to get charged in the revers polarity and wouldn't that be bad if they are electrolytic capacitors?

One more question. Have you noticed if the conductivity of the disk being launched makes much difference in how high it goes ? There is a good demo at the end of this video Link2 where a washer is cooled with liquid nitrogen before launching and it seems to help a lot.

Roger
FastMHz
Wed Dec 30 2009, 04:22AM
I'm sure it does ring my caps, but I don't seem to be having a problem. The bank hasn't seemed to have weakened despite hundreds of pulses into coils and other objects.

I'm sure a super-conductive disc would be better, however there is also the issue of this amount of energy deforming them - a super-cooled disc might explode or at least crack. It'd be worth trying if I could get my hands on some liquid nitrogen!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: