Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First SSTC design - Need some critique

Move Thread LAN_403
DerStrom8
Wed Aug 13 2014, 08:47PM
DerStrom8 Registered Member #3704 Joined: Sun Feb 20 2011, 01:13PM
Sigurthr wrote ...

Those bursts (pulses) look WAY too long. I can't magnify the image right now but does that say 500uS!?

Keep the secondary side leads of the GDT as short as you possibly can. That is where you'll get terrible parasitic oscillation of the gates. Primary side isn't nearly as critical.

Yes, that does say 500uS but the timing is adjustable. I will be changing it to 50uS in the code. I kept it at 500uS so that it would be easier to see in the image.

So for the Bridge, I guess that means I should put all of the IGBTs on one side of the heat sink then. That's good to know! Also, would connecting the GDT to the gates with traces on the board be better than connecting with wires? I will be using twisted pairs wherever possible, so hopefully that will help, but I'll keep them as short as possible.

Thanks,
Matt
DerStrom8
Fri Aug 15 2014, 09:06PM
Hi all,

Just another update:

I have decided to use 1/4" copper tubing for the primary coil (which, based on your suggestions, I have decided to make flat), and the 75nF, 12kV arrangement for the MMC that loneoceans suggested. Here is the input and output of JavaTC:

Input: Link2
Output: Link2

The primary, secondary, and topload are all finished, including an old fuse holder for a tap--

Coils: Link2
Tap: Link2

(Please excuse the mess--I'm in the process of reorganizing)

I also started working on my inverter board and mounting it to the heat sink. Pics will come eventually.

My main question this time around is if you folks could take a look at this updated schematic. Is there anything clearly wrong with it that needs immediate fixing? Or does it look ok? The main difference between this one and my last schematic is the addition of the J-K flip-flop for soft-switching the IGBTs. I based that part of the circuit on Steve Ward's DRSSTC-1 schematic.

Updated schematic: Link2

Finally, regarding the inverter capacitors--What is the recommended value? I've seen snubbers used (small, maybe 1uF or less), and I've seen large ones (1000uF or greater). I expect the larger ones are for smoothing? Or do they serve another purpose (decoupling, perhaps)? I'm using a full-bridge design, so I'm not talking about the capacitors used in half-bridges. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I mentioned it in my previous post but never really asked, does a 50uS on-time sound more reasonable than 500uS for the interrupter? I know that, according to JavaTC, it will take approximately 17.7uS for the energy to completely transfer from the primary to the secondary.

Thanks again for your help, guys. I think things are really coming along now.

Regards,
Matt
Sigurthr
Sat Aug 16 2014, 02:08AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Use twisted wires for any length you can, you can't (easily) twist traces.

Yeah, 50uS sounds better. I wrote a calculator for determining maximum safe OnTime for DRSSTCs, so plug your data into that to get a better idea. OnTime limit is related to current limit and MMC voltage rating.

The beefy caps are for smoothing, so that bursts that occur when the mains voltage is low aren't less powerful. Snubber sized caps are for snubbing!
DerStrom8
Sat Aug 16 2014, 02:19AM
Sigurthr wrote ...

Use twisted wires for any length you can, you can't (easily) twist traces.

Yeah, 50uS sounds better. I wrote a calculator for determining maximum safe OnTime for DRSSTCs, so plug your data into that to get a better idea. OnTime limit is related to current limit and MMC voltage rating.

The beefy caps are for smoothing, so that bursts that occur when the mains voltage is low aren't less powerful. Snubber sized caps are for snubbing!

I have been using your calculator, and once again I'd like to congratulate you on it--it has been very helpful!

Using your calculator though, I'm still a bit confused about the derating of the capacitors. My MMC is rated for 12kV, so I've been setting it to 0%, but I'm not sure if that's what I should be setting it to. Anyway, that gives me a burst length of less than 70uS (which is how I came up with the 50uS figure). With 30% deration it gives me 48uS.

Thanks for verifying the capacitor bit. That's what I was assuming--there are often smoothing caps and snubber caps, but I think I'm going to skip the snubbers for now. Other than needing to withstand several hundred volts, though, is there anything else I should keep in mind for the smoothing caps? Or does that work the same way as standard smoothing caps after a bridge rectifier? I ask because a lot of things seem to work differently when connected to a DRSSTC :p

So the schematic looks good? I'm starting to set up the board, so I'll want to verify that the circuit is right before actually putting it together.

Thanks!
Matt
Sigurthr
Sat Aug 16 2014, 04:59AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Thanks, glad you like it. I like to leave about 100V/cap overhead minimum for QUALITY HV caps, if you are using noname chinese stuff you might want to derate them by as much as 40% (lots of cheap "20kV" caps on ebay that are NOT able to withstand 20kV!).

I didnt check your schematic as I haven't used that flipflop, so I'll let someone else weigh in.

Keep all connections between the filter caps and the IGBTs as short as possible. In one of my early KW-class SSTCs I used 6" leads between bridge and caps and it caused a 30% loss of power.
DerStrom8
Sat Aug 16 2014, 02:47PM
Sigurthr wrote ...

Thanks, glad you like it. I like to leave about 100V/cap overhead minimum for QUALITY HV caps, if you are using noname chinese stuff you might want to derate them by as much as 40% (lots of cheap "20kV" caps on ebay that are NOT able to withstand 20kV!).

I didnt check your schematic as I haven't used that flipflop, so I'll let someone else weigh in.

Keep all connections between the filter caps and the IGBTs as short as possible. In one of my early KW-class SSTCs I used 6" leads between bridge and caps and it caused a 30% loss of power.

Thanks for the help Sigurthr. I am using 940C30s for my MMC, so I'm thinking they should work ok. If not, I'll go ahead and buy some 942Cs like I had originally planned (they're rated for higher pulse currents).

For the smoothing caps, I generally see huge ones used across the bridge, even on full-bridge designs. Would there be a disadvantage if I used several smaller ones (For example, from an ATX PSU) strung together, provided they can withstand the voltage and have a high enough capacitance to lessen the ripple? Just curious if this is another thing that really needs a lot of thought put into it.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Edwards
Sat Aug 16 2014, 10:17PM
Matt Edwards Registered Member #2838 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 07:55PM
RIFA or UPE is a great choice if you can find them cheap enough. Everyone i know generally uses them for the larger coils.
DerStrom8
Sun Aug 17 2014, 12:49AM
Matt Edwards wrote ...

RIFA or UPE is a great choice if you can find them cheap enough. Everyone i know generally uses them for the larger coils.

Thanks Matt, That's very helpful!

Anyone else have more thoughts regarding the schematic? At someone's recommendation I have re-done the feedback circuit and added OCD based on Steve Ward's DRSSTC-1 with OCD. I also added a second Schmitt trigger inverter. I know this will cause more delay, but I believe it's necessary, otherwise the signal would be inverted when it shouldn't be. Here's the updated schematic: Link2

By the way, has anyone used CM300s for higher frequency (~200kHz) coils? Or would you recommend different IGBTs for that? I want to have a plan B in case my 20N60s aren't up to the task.

Thanks folks.
Regards,
Matt
dexter
Mon Aug 18 2014, 06:24AM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
about the schematic.... from Steve Guide to DRSSTC Design in order to make the J-K to work properly the timing of the RC must be carefully chosen/calculated based on your coil frequency
Read this Link2

i'd say build this section of the circuit on a breadboard feed in the interrupter and feedback signals scope the output and tweak the RC value until it is working how it should be working
zzz_julian_zzz
Mon Aug 18 2014, 08:24AM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
I've tried CM300s (600v) @ 190 kHz small coil, it worked, but heating is an issue, however, Phase lead compensator solved that issue. But i would recommend shifting to faster IGBT especially if you're not planning to play with "that" current level about 500 - 600 Amps or so.

Plus, 1 inverter on the input can still make the coil work, you just have to change the phasing of your primary by exchanging the CT secondary feeding your 74hc04. Lastly, you could use 74hc14 instead of 74hc04 so you can eliminate 1 IC and save space. thanks, hope this helps

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: