Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Global Radiation monitoring system

Move Thread LAN_403
Sigurthr
Sun Jun 29 2014, 10:58PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
I'm glad to hear you finally worked things out with the chinese manufacturers! I wonder how much that will drop the cost for one of these. I've been wanting one for a long time.

I've got an old RS-232 Black Cat Systems GM-45 that I bought for a couple dollars off the GCE list years ago that needed some repairs (internals are now repaired but it is missing a housing and the pancake detector is very fragile). I fixed it up but I don't own any computers with RS232 ports, haha! I had intended to design a DC-DC converter and USB-RS232 interface to power it and hook it up to a modern pc, but it just seemed like too much work for how busy I am these days.
radhoo
Thu Jul 10 2014, 09:19AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Good luck with the competition.
I signed up and voted, true it is easy with hackadays new project site, almost web 3.0 :)
Thanks Mads, I only wish they had facebook/g+ auth as well.

I got to collect a few skulls, which is good and I'm looking forward to hit the 100 threshold, I think it is then when they give the "skullmaster" label, useful for some extra visibility.

Sigurthr wrote ...

I'm glad to hear you finally worked things out with the chinese manufacturers! I wonder how much that will drop the cost for one of these. I've been wanting one for a long time.
I've got an old RS-232 Black Cat Systems GM-45 that I bought for a couple dollars off the GCE list years ago that needed some repairs (internals are now repaired but it is missing a housing and the pancake detector is very fragile). I fixed it up but I don't own any computers with RS232 ports, haha! I had intended to design a DC-DC converter and USB-RS232 interface to power it and hook it up to a modern pc, but it just seemed like too much work for how busy I am these days.
Hi Sigurthr, hopefully the PCBs they'll make will work good. I've designed the 6th revision of the Model A PCB. It certainly doesn't make much sense to spend time in doing complicated adapters. Not when there are so nice alternatives Link2

From my last post here, a new unit went online in Prague, and 4 more are on their way to various locations on the globe. As usual, the data is available on: http://www.uradmonitor.com
For the Prague unit, here's a comparison with the data recorded at my location, before sending the unit over: Link2
14 07 10 Header

The first unit in the United Kingdom went online today. The network is expanding fast, for global coverage! More on: Link2

14 07 11 Header
radhoo
Wed Jul 16 2014, 12:33AM
It’s been a long road getting here with this project, a road paved with constant innovation. And it’s a longer road ahead.
The first uRADMonitor was a crude prototype, with jumping wires on a test board, it got its own PCB soon. The following models were a new design, more compact using the smaller SBM-20 and SI-29BG tubes, with several improvements. There were many details to change and to improve, and experimenting with compact high voltage inverters, Geiger tubes and discriminating/counting circuits for the last two years, surely brought a lot of progress for the benefit of this ongoing project.
150x150 150x150 150x150 150x150
Following the last 5 monitors sent to various corners of the world, a new batch has been prepared. And while waiting to finalise the discussions with several Chinese factories, this batch has been manually developed. Here are a few pictures and explanations, showing the tedious process of building a uRADMonitor unit. It all starts with a shiny piece of PCB carefully cleaned and polished to remove any grease and dust:
600x398
We then print the PCB layout designed using a computer software, and etch the PCB using a corrosive agent. If we are lucky we get clean nice traces:
600x398
To be able to mount the components, a few carefully aligned holes must be drilled. We use a tiny drill.
600x398
The Ethernet module is mounted as an addon to our PCB, so we need to make some space for it.
600x398
Next, we’re ready to start soldering the components. But they are so small, barely visible to the naked eye. Tweezers prove handy. The process is slow and requires a steady hand and attention:
600x398
600x398
After a few hours, the board is ready. The Geiger tube is added last because it is fragile.
600x398
And we’re still far from being done. The aluminium enclosure requires working with power tools, cutting, drilling and smoothing the edges.
Then the software must be written into the microcontroller, and the calibration tests can be performed. This takes close to another full day of tests and tweaking.

But this is all for today. The next batch of devices is almost done, for their approaching departure to distant locations all over the Globe.
600x398
Sigurthr
Wed Jul 16 2014, 01:04AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Wow, I didn't realize you were still hand fab'ing every board! I assumed the chinese deals were to work out pick-and-place and wave soldering of CNC'd pre-fab'ed PCBs (which I assumed you were already using!). Drilling out every single uRad board... dedication!
radhoo
Wed Jul 16 2014, 06:41AM
Yes, I couldn't say it better myself. And multiply that to 10, the number of units in the last batch. But the deal with the Chinese is going OK, I'll be placing the order next week, so things should simplify.
radhoo
Fri Jul 18 2014, 12:50PM
A new uRADMonitor unit went online in Arizona, US. There are some strange cyclic readings there: Link2

Too early for any assumptions but maybe someone here has an idea.

1405687854 1938 FT155675 14 07 18 Header
radhoo
Sat Jul 19 2014, 11:50AM
14 07 18 Header New Zealand
uRADMonitor unit 11000007, got to its final destination, after a long journey. The unit is now up and running from New Zealand. Live data on the web portal as usual: Link2
radhoo
Sun Jul 27 2014, 10:55PM
One extra unit currently available on ebay for something close to its BOM cost (only the components + shipping). Wasted a day on making it, but I'm trying to expand the network before anything else: Link2
Artlav
Mon Jul 28 2014, 04:00PM
Artlav Registered Member #8120 Joined: Thu Nov 15 2012, 06:06PM
Interesting.
Wouldn't mind setting a few around Moscow, and maybe one in Montenegro.
However, i'm surprised by the price.
What is the most expensive part of the build?
I can't quite see anything in it that would add up to about $100.

Anyway, a dump of ideas:
-Make it wireless.
-Make it self-powered.

Power:
Get a box of small, overcast-friendly solar panels, i.e. Link2
Put a li-po battery inside.

Wireless:
Not sure how much power or complexity a WiFi device would require.
If it does not fit the power budget, then there is an alternative - cheap and simple RF modules.

Split the device in two:
-One part is the sensor, with solar cell, battery and geiger counter.
-The other is the ethernet port.

Then, get a box of RFM12B modules - Link2

Put one into the sensor part, and the other into the ethernet part.
This way, the sensor part goes, untethered, anywhere you want (within range of few 100 meters), and the receiver end plugs into regular ethernet.
Much cheaper then Wifi.

Power consumption:
Active consumption of RFM12B+Atmega328 i got is about 10mA, for a device constantly looking for input.
So, a 300mAh lipo can last a day at continuous broadcast.
Or many, many days with interrupt-driven design of some sort - i.e. wire the geiger counter into an interrupt on atmega, store data locally and only transmit occasionally (RFM12B have a shutdown pin).
In later case you will only need to care about standby currents and the inverter. Probably sub-mA range.
Easily solar powered, anywhere.

On solar+battery power system:
I've used these panels and one li-po cell before, described here (solar panel->step-up->charger->3.3V regulator) - Link2
This book saw daily use, and never ran out of power, despite a lack of any sort of power plug.

Data storage:
FRAM chip, same as in the above book. Non-volatile, does not consume much power.
Store a few hours worth of data, then fire up the radio module and download.

All in all, i think this would be much, much more user and install-friendly when split into two parts as described.
Also, go for micro/minuUSB socket for power - these are standard, and anyone can/will have a compatible phone charger for nothing, while a special plug adapter is less common.
radhoo
Tue Jul 29 2014, 05:52PM
Hi Artlav, thanks for your feedback.

If you need to get a unit, you can read more here: Link2
To make it wireless, I already have in plan a future revision, that I call "Model C". Besides wifi , it will feature an LCD, buttons for user input, flash memory, gps for linking measurements to exact position, a rechargeable lipo battery and a software mechanism to synchronise offline data automatically when the unit gets back to a wlan area and Internet is available. Not easy and the complexity will be reflected in its price.

The Model A (current uRADMonitor variant), can be powered by a solar power, or by a solar power with a little buffer (rechargeable battery) . For this model, there are options to make it connect to a wireless network, as presented in this article: Link2

Keep the good ideas coming!

Some news:
The first uRADMonitor unit in Japan registers unexpectedly low background radiation levels: Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: