All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Electronic ignition thread

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Jan 29 2014, 11:54PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
That first link is amazing, Peter. Firstly, it confirms that what I wanted to do in the first place is possible (100 nanosecond primary switching times) and secondly, it confirms that I'm on the right track (multiple cores with parallel one turn primaries, and secondaries in series).

It also explains pretty much how to achieve it. I'm thinking of using a stack of powdered iron toroidal cores, and maybe having something like a ten turn secondary, and running in 'flyback mode', incorporating diodes into the secondary, but otherwise it looks like a very similar design. I don't think I'll need as many MOSFETS per primary, though.
Ash Small
Wed Feb 05 2014, 04:38PM
Well, this is where I am at the moment. Based on the 100nS pulsed supply linked to by Peter, here: Link2
I've come up with this:

1391618321 3414 FT153912 Ign Circuit

I need to start filling in some numbers, etc., but assuming I use the same high speed MOSFET's and MOSFET Drivers as used in the above link, (MOSFET IXZR08N120, MOSFET gate driver IXDD614SI), and run it in 'flyback mode', and maybe use powdered iron toroidal cores, I think I can get up to 1000 'pulses' in a millisecond, which equates to ~3 degrees at 5000RPM, so I think I may be 'in the ballpark'.

]mosfet_datasheet.pdf[/file]

]mosfet_driver.pdf[/file]

I'll post again when I've done a bit of maths smile

EDIT: Well, at ~£40 each for those MOSFET's from Farnell, I'll be looking at alternatives, I think.
Sulaiman
Wed Feb 05 2014, 06:48PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
You could make the pulse transformers using 'binocular'/'balun'/'pig-nose' ferrite
for high turns ratio use single turn primary tube, with secondary turns wound inside the primary tube for close coupling.
e.g. my HF PA (still characterizing i/p o/p etc.) over 50W over 50 MHz so far so definitely fast enough for your use and easier to construct low leakage transformer.these are 2861006802 but I also have larger in 43 and 61 material in case a re-work is reqd...still playing.

For your purposes I'd go for 2861010002 and slip a ptfe tube inside the primary tube/pipe then thread the secondary turns through that.
You can closely stack the cores with little interaction.
The cores behave pretty much as two isolated sleeve cores,
which are also often used and have even larger central hole diameters.
Whichever transformer style you use, insulating the pri:sec won't be trivial.
info here Link2

Look at construction of transformer (1:2 turns ratio in this case) on left.

P.S. I've multiple purchased MRF185 from an eBay uk seller,
(good to deal with, no connection to me)
they are used but at GBP10 good for up to 85W output, d.c. to 1GHz and experimenting/sacrificing.

1391625879 162 FT153912 Txrxii Pa Mfr185 Board
Ash Small
Thu Feb 06 2014, 04:28PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Sulaiman. What I had in mind was using powdered iron toroidal cores, with a distributed air gap, as I'm planning on running this in flyback mode. I'd need gapped cores if I use ferrite, plus the permeability of the powdered iron cores is significantly higher than ferrite, I believe. I understand there may be fewer magnetic losses with ferrite though.

One of the 'mistakes' in the schematic, because I was unsure how to represent it, and what is there gives a good idea of what I'm thinking, but I was planning on stacking the toroidal cores with their individual primaries, then just passing ten turns of copper cored ignition lead through the stack, as this would take up less space (how would you represent this in a schematic?).

I'm looking at various MOSFET/voltage/primary switch on time combinations at the moment.

EDIT: Very nice bit of work there, Sulaiman.
Sulaiman
Thu Feb 06 2014, 06:15PM
my mistake, I assumed that to get the required dv/dt the transformers would be in feed-forward / pulse type operation.
( massive leading edge current / almost instantaneous spark)
If flyback then you are back to limited secondary current / low dv/dt
Ash Small
Thu Feb 06 2014, 08:11PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

my mistake, I assumed that to get the required dv/dt the transformers would be in feed-forward / pulse type operation.
( massive leading edge current / almost instantaneous spark)
If flyback then you are back to limited secondary current / low dv/dt

My understanding is that 'feed-forward' is voltage dependant (ie voltage is proportional to turns ratio), and 'flyback mode' is current dependant (ie voltage can rise much higher than turns ratio alone).

I 'assumed' flyback mode would be the preferred option here. Would 'feed-forward' work ok with the diodes on the secondaries?

My plan is to get, say, 1000 pulses in a millisecond (figures not finalised yet), which will charge the capacitor until voltage is sufficient for breakdown to occurr, with breakdown occuring at a lower voltage during subsequent pulses. The figure I'm working on for maximum breakdown voltage is <=50kV. With a turns ratio of 50:1 (or is it 1:50?), my understanding is that with 'feed-forward' I'd require a primary voltage of 1000V, whereas this is not the case for flyback mode.
Sulaiman
Thu Feb 06 2014, 09:56PM
rf (plasma) ignition seems to be the direction that you're moving,
plenty documentation on that.

based on playing with flybacks, ignition coils etc.,
I think that you are heading for a whole load of insulation problems
at your intended voltage, dv/dt and prf.
Ash Small
Thu Feb 06 2014, 10:16PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

based on playing with flybacks, ignition coils etc.,
I think that you are heading for a whole load of insulation problems
at your intended voltage, dv/dt and prf.

I imagine there may be a few problems, but I'm sure they can be overcome. The biggest problem at the moment seems to be my reluctance to spend £1,600 on MOSFET's that I'm bound to blow during 'development' smile
Sulaiman
Fri Feb 07 2014, 10:27AM
with your experience I'm sure you will not blow up too many transistors,
I'd START with the transformer design as that is obviously the weakest link

lash-up an ignition coil or flyback Xfmr and experiment with dry insulating windings etc. don't want to spend $$$$$ on transistors for a project that gets shelved due to problems other than the transistors, which will be superceeded by better ones in a month or two anyway ... last choice.

why are any secondary diodes required whether feed-forward/pulse or flyback ?

I imagine that for efficiency and for low electrical stresses
if you want say 1000 pps for ignition
design the sum of transformer secondary inductances to resonate with the sum of secondary capacitances to resonate at 500 Hz ... etc.
then flyback would be a good option.

Just to state the obvious
... emi/rfi radiation from such an ignition system will be significant
Ash Small
Fri Feb 07 2014, 12:25PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

why are any secondary diodes required whether feed-forward/pulse or flyback ?

Because the capacitor needs DC to charge up to the point that breakdown occurs. This will vary due to varying conditions within the combustion chamber.

The plan is to build one MOSFET/ trigger/capacitorcoil unit and see what happens, I suppose, but I'll probably use cheaper MOSFET's for initial testing.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: