All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Royer induction heater

Move Thread LAN_403
mohiuddinHimel
Fri Oct 05 2012, 09:21AM
mohiuddinHimel Registered Member #4254 Joined: Sat Dec 10 2011, 09:36PM
i electroplated the PCB board to increase copper thickness and current carrying capability. Then made a sandwich with two PCB pieces and a piece of wood in between them. Total capacitance is 4 uF. I'll bolt two extra thick copper bars on each side to mount the cap-bank with work coil.

I really wonder will this pcb copper layer be able to carry 200/300 amps to the work coil :/ :/

any suggestion ??
1349428867 4254 FT122354 Dsc 0375

1349428867 4254 FT122354 Dsc 0379

1349428867 4254 FT122354 Dsc 0377
Sulaiman
Fri Oct 05 2012, 12:39PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I have noticed a few attempts at off-line zvs/royer/cfpr inverters failing,
one common problem is that high voltage igbts tend to drop significant voltage Collector-Emitter (Drain-Source for mosfets)
this means that the circuit where a diode from one collector (drain) turns off the gate of the other device does not work at higher currents.
You need a reliable gate drive scheme for high voltage transistors carrying large currents.
Just thought I'd mention it.
mohiuddinHimel
Fri Oct 05 2012, 06:07PM
Thankyou sir

Right now i dont have any scope as my vacation is going on and i cant access my University Lab for the time being. So i need something very simple yet powerful.

Can you give some designing tips for gate drive schematic???? The FET i'll use is IRFP260N in pairs. Water cooled.

I've come a long way so its kind of impossible for me to change the whole circuit.

Gabriel35
Fri Oct 05 2012, 08:40PM
Gabriel35 Registered Member #2310 Joined: Wed Aug 19 2009, 08:04PM
Nice capacitor construction... Looks Heavy duty...

What Sulaiman said is true! it is a challenge to get a royer with dedicated drive circuit right from the mains! But it's not impossible and it would be very nice to see it happening!

Keep your progress...
Remembering that a well made IRFP260 based, original Royer, can do do serious damage to metal pieces and it can be ferrous, or non-ferrous materials... =D If you want to go over 1000w or 1500w, forget it and star designing a dedicated driver circuitry...

Good luck! Keep us informed!
mohiuddinHimel
Fri Oct 05 2012, 09:53PM
hey thanks for the feedback.

1000W is like overkill for me. I'll be very happy if i can deliver 700-800 watts to the work-coil. My goal is to make a 16 mm dia 1" long iron rod bright hot in 10-15 seconds. Is it possible to achieve with my existing configuration????

And of course i'll make the whole construction neat and heavy duty ;)
Sulaiman
Sat Oct 06 2012, 09:15AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Maybe an example will help, IRFP260 was mentioned so :-
Vds <200V so Vdc<64Vdc,
at Tj=150C Rds(on)=2.3 x 0.055=0.1265 Ohms

To turn off the other device Vds(on) <= 4V - Vdiode..say 3.5V (good diode)
So Ids(on) < 3.5V/0.1265 Ohm = 27.7 Apk=27.7 Adc=1770W
not counting for any switching losses, each transistor would have to dissipate
1/2 x 3.5V x 27.7A = 48.5W
which needs a heatsink temperature of less than 150 - (0.7 x 48.5) = 116C
... = quite large or a cpu cooler etc. per transistor

Be aware that the current in the resonant L//C will be many times 27.7 A.

At this power level every parameter is at its limit
... the slightest departure from 'ideal' will cause failure.
I'd say 50 Vdc at 20 Adc = 1 kWdc is a reasonable target.

Now do similar calculations for your chosen high voltage transistors.
Remember that schottky diodes rated at 1.2 kV aren't common
mohiuddinHimel
Sat Oct 06 2012, 12:04PM
Thankyou sir for making me understand the behavior of FET more deeply.

The calculation above is for a single transistor. As i am using two of them in parallel, total 4 for the circuit, the current will be devided. So to achieve 1000Watt each of the FET(mosfet) has to conduct 14 A max (i assume). Each of the FET will be placed on a thick copper bar welded directed to cooling pipe. I'll be able to keep the temperature near 80-85 C.

The diodes will be UF4007 fast rectifier diodes 1KV two in parallel. Seems safe to me :)

Please correct me if i am wrong.

just hope this transformer will deliver 1000watts. Still disappointed with the size. I thought it would be bigger. Anywayz finger crossed
1349534058 4254 FT122354 Dsc 0375

1349534058 4254 FT122354 Dsc 0376
mohiuddinHimel
Tue Oct 09 2012, 09:42PM
Here is the parallel ZVS circuit originally Marko's design with a little scale up. Is the circuit "All right" ??
1 Copy
Marko
Wed Oct 10 2012, 08:31PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hello -

I don't have much experience with paralleling mosfets in this circuit, but I fail to see the purpose of having portions of your tank capacitance across every mosfet. I would pretty definitely leave those out.

Also, there is no need for paralleling zeners, 10k resistors and diodes; you can use single zeners (of course with adequate power rating which you need to calculate according to your supply voltage). Also, single UF4007 diodes should be enough.

If you need to make up higher power zeners from several small ones, I recommend using a series of several lower voltage rated zeners. Paralleling diodes is generally a no-no and may result in explosions.

Finally, whenever you parallel mosfets it may be good idea to decouple mosfets from each other to prevent parasitic oscillations. A ferrite bead along with 10ohm resistor in series with each gate may be a good start. I think someone here even used steel nuts over the wires instead of ferrite beads for this purpose!

PS. I'm also seeing you intend to use ferrite cores for your inductors. In this case, make sure they are properly gapped so they can withstand the required currents without saturation. It would be wise to do some math on this as well before firing the oscillator up.

Marko
mohiuddinHimel
Thu Oct 11 2012, 07:33PM
Marko wrote ...

Hello -

I don't have much experience with paralleling mosfets in this circuit, but I fail to see the purpose of having portions of your tank capacitance across every mosfet. I would pretty definitely leave those out.

Also, there is no need for paralleling zeners, 10k resistors and diodes; you can use single zeners (of course with adequate power rating which you need to calculate according to your supply voltage). Also, single UF4007 diodes should be enough.

If you need to make up higher power zeners from several small ones, I recommend using a series of several lower voltage rated zeners. Paralleling diodes is generally a no-no and may result in explosions.

Finally, whenever you parallel mosfets it may be good idea to decouple mosfets from each other to prevent parasitic oscillations. A ferrite bead along with 10ohm resistor in series with each gate may be a good start. I think someone here even used steel nuts over the wires instead of ferrite beads for this purpose!

PS. I'm also seeing you intend to use ferrite cores for your inductors. In this case, make sure they are properly gapped so they can withstand the required currents without saturation. It would be wise to do some math on this as well before firing the oscillator up.

Marko

Hey thanks for the suggestions!

Those capacitors(snubber) were used to suppress high voltage spikes.

Anyways simpler is better. Revised schematic>>

1 Copy

each mosfet with 10 ohm resistor. I'll also use ferrite bead around each mosfet's gate. Any final tip????
1 Copy

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: