Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

uRADMonitor – Online remote radiation monitoring station

Move Thread LAN_403
radhoo
Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:54AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Hm, Stella, I was hoping it didn't come to that. Here are the numbers:

For 350V the tube counts a background radiation dose of (average) 66 counts/minute. For 400V it is 80 counts/minute.
The difference of 14 units , that represents 17.5% out of the total of 80 cpm, or 21% out of the total of 66cpm, and this is for a voltage interval of the 50V only.

If I was more careful at the beginning of the project, I would have probably chosen the minimum voltage. Now changing the voltage would create a big discrepancy between the previous values (obtained at 400V) and the new values (at 350V).

Do you have any docs regarding tube's plateau variations related to tube damage?
Proud Mary
Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:03AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
radhoo wrote ...

Do you have any docs regarding tube's plateau variations related to tube damage?

"An investigation into the causes of short lifetimes of geiger-muller tubes used in aircraft oil gauging systems"

Link2

This very useful paper covers wide ground not covered elsewhere, and focuses particularly on halogen (Br) depletion as tubes age.

It also mentions low frequency spurious oscillation under depleted halogen conditions, which might possibly explain your tube's sudden burst of counts.

If your problem is oscillation, it might be possible to stop it by altering LCR in a way that does not affect count rate.

Here is another helpful paper looking at some of the fundamentals we need to think about right now: Test Procedure for Geiger-Mueller Radiation Detectors Link2 This paper proposes a 15% slope as the cut off between good and bad tubes: "In general, the value of the slope must be less than 15 % to consider that the detector is in good conditions." This seems to me to be a very large figure when you think of really good new GM tubes having plateau slopes of less than 3%.

This paper also offers some useful insights: Link2

radhoo
Sat Feb 16 2013, 05:13PM
Thanks! Love the articles, great find!

Some bit of additional info, even if redundant, should help clarify things.
The 10M anode resistor is a quality component, mounted correctly without fingerprints, dust or humidity. As well pointed above, should this resistor malfunction in any way, one result could be avalanche discharges in the Geiger tube. This resistor has been checked recently and it meets the requirements.

Not related to the current discussion, there has been an issue that I would like to present at this point. Have a look at the circuit diagram:
300x181
Resistor R5 is used in a voltage divider , used by the microcontroller to continuously measure the voltage across the Geiger tube, using one of its ADC (analog to digital) ports. In just a few words, for 400V set on the tube, the voltage divider will retun 3.96V ( 400V x 47/(4700+47) ). The microcontroller is set to a relative voltage of 5V (Vref). The ADC port used to measure the voltage, has a resolution of 10bits, so for a maximum of 5V on PC3/ADC3, the software would read the max value of 2^10 = 1024. For 4V we would get the proportional value. By doing so, the measurement of the anode voltage is extremely precise.
Should the voltage on tube be lower than the preset threshold (400V), the duty factor of the inverter's PWM is increased, in small steps, until we reach the target voltage (in a given tolerance, initially set to 5V and now changed to 2V). If the voltage on the tube is too high, we do the opposite and decrease the duty factor. In a few words, this is a known regularization mechanism that works well, fact confirmed by the logs, showing several months of constant voltage tube values.
The issue I mentioned, is regarding R5. After some use, it "burned" and got interrupted. As a result, the voltage measurement could no longer be done, and the software saw the voltage on tube as being 0. As a result, the duty cycle began to rise, resulting in uncontrolled high voltage generation, way above the tube's safety limits. Luckily, this high voltage also resulted in microcontroller temporarily failure, and so the PWM generation stopped . This in turn, also stopped the dangerous voltage from being applied to the tube (except for the first few miliseconds).

Closing the parenthesis and moving further

In regards to the papers kindly indicated by Proud Mary, I have run a few measurements with the current setup, also in regards to the "Test Procedure for Geiger-Mueller Radiation Detectors" document. SBM-19's operation interval is 350-475V. For my particular tube, I got unsatisfactory readings for 350V, but good performance in the 375-450V interval, despite its age.
The measurements has been performed during several hours, to acquire sufficient data for computing average values.
Voltage on tube / CPM
349.33 / 65.88
375.64 / 78.62
399.65 / 79.98
424.71 / 80.18
449.51 / 79.68

Complete measurement details in attached PDF document: ]sbm_19.pdf[/file]

To test the tube's performance indicator as presented in "Test Procedure for Geiger-Mueller Radiation Detectors",
I set N1 = 78.62 , V1 = 375.64V , N2 = 79.68 and V2 = 449.51V

For P = 100 * ((N2 - N1)/(V2-V1)) * (100 / ( (N1+N2) / 2)) we get: 1.81060853 % .

LE: The device has been set to 375V, as compared to 400V used from October 2012 until now.
Proud Mary
Sat Feb 16 2013, 07:15PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Did you set R7 at 10MΩ to reduce power draw and/or dissipation in the tube, extend tube life etc, or some other reason?

How does the circuit behave if you reduce R7/R8 to 4.7MΩ/110 kΩ , or even 3.9MΩ/82kΩ ? Reducing R7 will reduce dead time,
and create stronger, sharper, pulses with less possibility for instability.
radhoo
Sun Feb 17 2013, 05:33PM
I set it to a maximum to preserve tube's life (considering the purpose of this device) , also according to Centronic's "Geiger Müller Tubes" document recommendations.
radhoo
Sat Nov 02 2013, 09:45PM
One year after the original construction was completed, I finally had the time for a major upgrade. The test board PCB was dropped in favor of a brand new PCB, nicely done via the toner transfer method:
300x199 300x199
Much better than the previous, don't you think? :)
300x199 300x199
The ferrite transformer was reused, as it demonstrated very good efficiency. After all, rewinding 600 secondary turns is not an easy task. But I almost had to do that, because for some reason I had issues with the inverter. It turned out the driving transistor was misplaced due to an error in the eagle symbol used (it was mirrored!) . But that was an easy fix once I located where the problem was.

So I added 3 additional sensors for detecting rain and for air quality ( MQ-9B for combustible gases and Sharp GP2Y1010 for counting the dust particles). The MQ9 was producing a lot of heat so I had to move it some distance away from my temperature sensors:
300x199 300x199

I also had to do some considerable work at the software side, first to support all the new sensors and the new PCB (mainly because of pin changes, new 8MHz crystal instead of the older 16MHz, new VCC of only 3.3V etc), but also on the server side to fit the mySQL database for the new readings and to draw the additional charts. These can be see here, as real time charts:

Rain detection:
Link2

MQ9 Combustible gases sensor:
Link2

Dust sensor:
Link2

This is my way of saying "happy birthday" to this project :)
radhoo
Sun Dec 01 2013, 08:20PM
After a few days of inactivity, I was finally able to investigate a few sever stability problems with the new circuit presented in the last update.
Uradmonitor Radiation Monitoring Station
I was able to locate the problem, and I fixed it, but besides that I improved the software and finalized the part for the last three sensors added, rain, dust and cobustible gases. So now the station is back online, and the real time data is available here: Link2

Today it December the first, Romania's national day. We had a beautiful sunny day, seen the military parade, a few concerts and the winter fair, that is now open here.

Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: