Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Driving 'Fiddy's Flybacks' in flyback mode.

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Fri Dec 26 2014, 11:45PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

This circuit, with an additional diode in series with the input and a resistor from the PNP transistor base to ground, is very commonly used for gate driving using a GDT driven in "single ended" mode (duty<50%). The advantage is that you can drive the GDT primary using just a single transistor.

Do you mean something like this?

1419637508 3414 FT167108 Single Ended Gdt
dexter
Sat Dec 27 2014, 03:52PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
i think is something like this:

1419695059 42796 FT167108 Gate Drive

The advantage come from the fact that it requires only one transistor to drive the GDT primary and it provides faster local turn OFF for the IGBT.
Also i'm not entirely sure where is the best place to put the 4R7 resistor - as is shown in the picture or right after the GDT (red arrows)?
Ash Small
Mon Dec 29 2014, 05:00PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
dexter wrote ...

.The advantage come from the fact that it requires only one transistor to drive the GDT primary and it provides faster local turn OFF for the IGBT.
Also i'm not entirely sure where is the best place to put the 4R7 resistor - as is shown in the picture or right after the GDT (red arrows)?

I've studied this for a day or so, and I think the gate resistor should go on the output of the GDT. This ensures a faster turn off. The original schematic also has the PNP switch off transistor connected directly to the gate of the MOSFET.

The gate does have a 'mesh resistance'.

EDIT: Do I need to use a core with a distributed gap to deal with a DC component, or is this something that I don't need to worry about?

EDIT: I still haven't fully understood the two diodes and resistors.....

EDIT: I think I've worked it out now, there is a 'return path' for the current through the GDT secondary, through the resistors (1k and 470R), so I don't need to worry about a DC component, I think.
Sigurthr
Thu Jan 15 2015, 06:06AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Finally got around to building the Single Ended driver I designed for Fiddy and testing his AC flyback on it; works great!

13.8V Audio test:
6turns on primary
1cm spark gap
Roughly 4A current draw at 93KHz, which is just below resonance.
Best audio around 41KHz, ~3A draw.

Sorry for the crap video, it's late and I spent my evening putting the board through its paces.
Link2

Second video;
Link2

Inquire to Fiddy about buying this Driver kit off him!
Fiddy
Thu Jan 15 2015, 11:05PM
Fiddy Registered Member #8817 Joined: Mon Dec 17 2012, 05:16AM
Some nice vids from Sigurthur on this board getting some impressive audio arcs:

Link2
Link2

GrantX
Fri Jan 16 2015, 05:14AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Fiddy wrote ...

Some nice vids from Sigurthur on this board getting some impressive audio arcs:

Link2
Link2

That's a fantastic little driver circuit, well done guys. Are there any circuit details available online (I understand you probably don't want to release the whole schematic)? Looks like a fun kit, I'd be interested in getting one to play with.
Sigurthr
Fri Jan 16 2015, 06:01AM
Nothing online at the moment, since Fiddy wanted to sell these as kits I kept the development closed source. 'Tis his ball to throw as he sees fit. I might put out another revision too, but he has a decent stock of the displayed version on hand. I can say it is single ended, variable input voltage from 12-26V, with headphone level audio input - single channel mono, and low modulation distortion at the mid and upper range of the tuning band (below 30KHz you're gonna get distortion, simple physics). Future revision would include onboard stereo to mono conversion, and easy end-user modifiable frequency range adjustment for if your flyback needs higher than 90KHz.

What's funny is that I designed this circuit years ago, and literally had it sitting on a shelf covered in dust when he asked me if I knew of such a circuit or could design one, haha. There's something poetic in being too poor to produce your own designs. I'm just glad I found such a stand up fellow to take them to market for me. He even puts my name on the PCBs, haha! XD
Fiddy
Fri Jan 16 2015, 07:25AM
Fiddy Registered Member #8817 Joined: Mon Dec 17 2012, 05:16AM
GrantX wrote ...

That's a fantastic little driver circuit, well done guys. Are there any circuit details available online (I understand you probably don't want to release the whole schematic)? Looks like a fun kit, I'd be interested in getting one to play with.

Thanks dude smile I can sell you this driver in kit form with the board and components for $60 AUD and $10 express post being in Australia already! PM if your interested. Can supply a DC flyback too if required.

Sigurthr wrote ...

Nothing online at the moment, since Fiddy wanted to sell these as kits I kept the development closed source. 'Tis his ball to throw as he sees fit. I might put out another revision too, but he has a decent stock of the displayed version on hand. I can say it is single ended, variable input voltage from 12-26V, with headphone level audio input - single channel mono, and low modulation distortion at the mid and upper range of the tuning band (below 30KHz you're gonna get distortion, simple physics). Future revision would include onboard stereo to mono conversion, and easy end-user modifiable frequency range adjustment for if your flyback needs higher than 90KHz.

What's funny is that I designed this circuit years ago, and literally had it sitting on a shelf covered in dust when he asked me if I knew of such a circuit or could design one, haha. There's something poetic in being too poor to produce your own designs. I'm just glad I found such a stand up fellow to take them to market for me. He even puts my name on the PCBs, haha! XD

Hehe yeah, we did a lot of design work before the boards was even manufactured I had 10 boards made.

Hats off to Sig who has the brains to design the circuit, disregarding the LED resistors, theres only 1 resistor on the board in the circuit! Amazing smile
GrantX
Tue Jan 20 2015, 12:47PM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Fiddy wrote ...

Thanks dude smile I can sell you this driver in kit form with the board and components for $60 AUD and $10 express post being in Australia already! PM if your interested. Can supply a DC flyback too if required.
PM sent.
Sigurthr
Mon Mar 02 2015, 05:33AM
So! I've finally had some time to get around to my long list of things to do, and I whipped up another one of my driver circuits to show off Fiddy's transformer and driver.

One of my home made electrodeless tubes; ~55Torr air.
A9aCITv

13.8V input @ ~6A.
BTb9tnD

High Pressure Argon, made by Ron Soyland
EWq9Ijy

HyMfUlx

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: