All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Universal DRSSTC Driver V2.5 (Sold Out)

Move Thread LAN_403
ivest
Wed Sept 11 2013, 04:20PM
ivest Registered Member #30780 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 07:55PM
Damn, where do all of you find these bricks at reasonable prices?
I don't think I could afford any of them.

What do you guys think about the IXYS-IXXN110N65C4H1?
Hydron
Wed Sept 11 2013, 11:02PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Seeing as we're on the topic of driving fast bricks with a UD controller, I thought it was about time to make my first post.

I recently got 5 SKM200GB125D "ultra-fast" bricks for free (!!), and am looking at whether they'd be capable of running at QCW coil frequencies using a UD 2.5 phase-lead controller (or possibly a 4046 based PLL in the future). Obviously they aren't as fast as good mini-bricks, but the specs seem rather good for a brick (td(on)/tr/td(off)/tf are 75/36/420/25 ns), so I was hoping they'd be usable, as I have these bricks on hand (plus a number of other slower ones), but nothing smaller!
They'll be run with a laminated low-inductance bus design, either with just some aerovox snubbers accross it if I use a supply modulated design, or also with some of the nice RIFA caps if I go for a phase-shift or similar technique.
Any opinions on whether they're likely to work? Ideally I'd be able to hit 350kHz or so to give some leeway in the QCW resonator design.

As a background, I've just built a 6.5" DRSSTC as my first coil, but have been interested in the field for a while and work as an electrical engineer. Said first coil seems to work suprisingly well for a first go, though I'm limited to only about a ~1m streamer currently as my MMC is a junk-box creation of 6 different types of scavenged polyprop capacitors (proper caps are in the post).
Many thanks go to Steve and Eric for the UD2.5 - while I made a few mods to my version and will make something more original in the future, the design was a great way to get the coil going quickly and (so-far) reliably, and it literally worked first try!
Goodchild
Fri Sept 13 2013, 05:42PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Well I finally finished the board, time for testing! After I validate this new design I will go into full production and start mass producing the boards, but for now here is what the finished product looks like.

9734057863 E1b238f51c Z

Also just an interesting photo, evolution of the Universal Driver. I'm only missing the mark1 !

9737506652 43cfd98333 Z
Thomas W
Fri Sept 13 2013, 08:44PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
ivest wrote ...

Damn, where do all of you find these bricks at reasonable prices?
I don't think I could afford any of them.

What do you guys think about the IXYS-IXXN110N65C4H1?

Ebay is a good source!

Also, Eric, it would be really neat if you moved all the regulators onto the side, then people can put a single heatsink along the whole streach! :D
Goodchild
Sat Sept 14 2013, 12:32AM
Well that's how I had it on the Rev A however, there is no need for a sink on the 24V reg and a simple small heatsink on the 9V and 5V works just fine. If you did a single heatsink it would have to be custom (ie more work and more expensive) the way I have it set up now it uses $0.7 off the shelf parts that need no more than 30 seconds to install.

Also I have not taken down the Rev A files so if someone likes the all in a line configuration better they can still build it.
Hydron
Sat Sept 14 2013, 10:58AM
If it is of interest to those making their own UD drivers, the following is the UVLO (undervoltage lockout/trip) circuit I added to my modified UD 2.5 board:

I2M8X

This circuit disables the UD driver when the 24V power supply rail begins to drop. Much better to have the IGBT gates turned off if you lose driver power than to have them end up in a half-on state (or both on if the logic goes crazy at low voltages).

The LM8365 was chosen because I had some lying around at work, it's much smaller than a SOIC so its probably a good idea to look for a larger equivalent if you don't like soldering small SMD parts. There are _lots_ of options out there, check out digikey under ICs - PMIC - Supervisors (make sure you find a open drain/collector, active low part).

As for the circuit:
- The two resistors divide down the 24V rail so that the 2.7V UVLO threshold is hit at ~22V (giving some margin for component tolerance). This particular UVLO chip draws very little current, so dividing down it's supply this way is fine unless the resistors are really large in value.
- The 1n capacitor might not be necessary, but I put it there for noise immunity and it's time constant is short enough not to compromise the undervoltage trip operation.
- The 1u capacitor ensures the undervoltage trip is active for a minimum of ~1 second when it is hit, ensuring everything has a chance to settle down before the output is re-enabled (if the voltage recovers to 24V). Again, this is not strictly required, so the circuit can be reduced to just 3 parts if wanted.
- The output of the UVLO chip is a 5V-tolerant open-drain pulldown, so can simply be connected in parallel with the open-collector output of the LM311 OCD trip, giving the UVLO the same effect as an overcurrent trip.
- The 12 or 9V (and thus 5V also) regulator should be run off the 24V rail so that the UVLO will function regardless of how different voltage rails are loaded. This will also reduce the chance of over-voltage blowing up the 12/9V reg.

I've done a quick test of the circuit with a variable bench supply, seems to work well.
Goodchild
Sat Sept 14 2013, 08:02PM
Very nice simple design Hydron! I may just add that to the next Rev, if I can find a place to squeeze it on the already packed board.
Hydron
Sat Sept 14 2013, 11:14PM
Space wouldn't be an issue if you stayed with that particular part (it's tiny) and ditched the capacitors, but some might not enjoy the soldering required.

Couple more notes about it:
- The OCD LED will be active when the power is switched on (as the rail is undervoltage during driver power-up). This is probably actually a good thing, and will go out as normal on a fresh interrupter pulse.
- 2.7V threshold is probably not the best choice, if you grab something closer to 5V or so then component tolerances have less effect on the threshold voltage. I had the 2.7V parts on hand though.
ivest
Sat Sept 14 2013, 11:29PM
ivest Registered Member #30780 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 07:55PM
Hydron wrote ...

Space wouldn't be an issue if you stayed with that particular part (it's tiny) and ditched the capacitors, but some might not enjoy the soldering required.

Couple more notes about it:
- The OCD LED will be active when the power is switched on (as the rail is undervoltage during driver power-up). This is probably actually a good thing, and will go out as normal on a fresh interrupter pulse.
- 2.7V threshold is probably not the best choice, if you grab something closer to 5V or so then component tolerances have less effect on the threshold voltage. I had the 2.7V parts on hand though.

I have soldered some tri-state buffers that have come in SOT23-5 before and they are not too hard with a good iron. If you can get access to a stereo zoom microscope then you
will have no trouble.

They do make a 4.5v version of it according to the datasheet and are also available in 2% tolerance (LM8365 AALMF45)
Goodchild
Fri Oct 04 2013, 09:04PM
OK guys the first batch of fully assembled boards is tested and ready to ship. Here are some photos.

10090161233 Bd050bbc54

10090098806 7462ca232c

10090157113 79da1b4e49

Complete functionality testing, OCD, feedback, fiber, LEDs, etc.

10090038044 Dc65e5d362

All the boards are marked with serial numbers and time of testing pass data. If you do buy a board form me I expect that you know how to use a UD, I only say this because I don't have time to be answering like "how do I tune the phase lead?".

5 have already been sold or are reserved. I will operate on a first come first serve basis for the rest.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: