All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

OLTC project

Move Thread LAN_403
Jrz126
Fri Dec 29 2006, 02:31PM
Jrz126 Registered Member #242 Joined: Thu Feb 23 2006, 11:37PM
Well last semester turned out to be the semester from hell, but atleast its over. I was too busy working on an inverted pendulum for a final project. here is a video of it finally working.
Most of the time was spent trying to get the H-bridge circuit to work. here is the breadboard. and here's the breadboard after some mosfet failure with no current limiting.

Right before i quit to work on the pendulum, I was able to get some 1" sparks from it using a battery charger for my supply. I set the break rate to very low and all of the florecent lights in the garage would flicker.

Here's a pic of what it looks like now.

I might try to get some sparks out of it before school starts again, but it might have to wait until spring time. I might try to incorporate it into a school project
Steve Conner
Fri Dec 29 2006, 03:11PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
That coil is gigantic suprised suprised I'm looking forward to seeing what it does!
Marko
Fri Dec 29 2006, 04:45PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
O__O Cant wait to see it fired up... and see if it outsparks Steve's OLTC and becomes largest in the world...
Jrz126
Fri Jan 05 2007, 06:12PM
I've been thinking about the work remaining and I have a few questions.

First off, I need to make a strike rail. My plan is to use some 1/4" copper tube and mount it acouple inches up on the wooden form of the primary. Do I need a second strike rail on the outer side of the primary?

The powersupply will consist of a basic voltage doubler and Variac. I'm still trying to locate a suitable inductor to use for the choke. Any suggestions on where to look?

I'm going to solve my pulse transformer problem by switching to fiber optic. I'd have to buy some shielded cable and whatnot for the pulse transformers anyways, so might as well go for the fiber optic.

Another concern that I have is the coating of polyurethane on the secondary. I'm thinking that I might not have put enough on. Anyone have a problem from not coating the secondary enough?

Marko
Fri Jan 05 2007, 06:30PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I always used single coat of poly ant it always worked well. (although all were much smaller secondaries than this one suprised )

Some use epoxy, also a single coat.

I think two strike rails are good idea. Steve did exactly same on his oltc Link2
Steve Ward
Fri Jan 05 2007, 06:45PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
First off, I need to make a strike rail. My plan is to use some 1/4" copper tube and mount it acouple inches up on the wooden form of the primary. Do I need a second strike rail on the outer side of the primary?

I would say that you will want more than 1 strike rail, in fact, you may want more than 2. The output sparks of the tesla coil tend to follow a general path, arcing outward from the toroid, then bending back in near the base of the coil (where the primary is). So, assuming that sparks are coming in horizontally at your primary, you need to be effective at catching them before they hit the primary. Id say put one strike ring about 1" higher than the primary, but add about 3" of radius. Then do another strike ring at say 2/3 the height of the primary, but make its radius maybe 5" greater than the primary. Then maybe finally, a strike ring mounted right to your table at an even greater radius. They dont have to be copper rings... any metal will be good enough (so i dont suggest spending all that money unless you want copper for some reason). Even really small wire will work fine here, minding structural integrity.

I'm still trying to locate a suitable inductor to use for the choke. Any suggestions on where to look?

Do you have any idea what inductance you need? Pspice would probably help you figure that out since it doesnt seem (at first thought) like a nice simple problem to optimize by hand. Im thinking you could likely modify a MOT in some manner, probably seperating the E and I sections with some sort of gap (to increase the current it can handle before saturation, and to reduce the inductance). I think that any inductor you would use will have an air gap for energy storage (someone correct me if im wrong) so most of what you might find will need modification of the core.

Anyone have a problem from not coating the secondary enough?

Normally this isnt a problem unless you have problems with sparking between primary and secondary, or the secondary arcing back onto itself. The thick layer of poly doesnt *prevent* this, but can sometimes save the secondary from much damage. My large DRSSTC has seen a fair share of really nasty arcs between the coils, with no visible damage to the winding. I think i used something like 6-8 coats of poly varnish (it was the whole 1 quart can). So i wouldnt say its a necessity, but it could prevent you needing to do some sanding and refinishing if something bad happens.
Jrz126
Fri Jan 05 2007, 10:09PM

Do you have any idea what inductance you need? Pspice would probably help you figure that out since it doesnt seem (at first thought) like a nice simple problem to optimize by hand. Im thinking you could likely modify a MOT in some manner, probably seperating the E and I sections with some sort of gap (to increase the current it can handle before saturation, and to reduce the inductance). I think that any inductor you would use will have an air gap for energy storage (someone correct me if im wrong) so most of what you might find will need modification of the core.
hmm...I've kinda stayed away from Pspice. Not quite sure how to simulate it, and also not quite sure what I would be looking for in the output. I guess its about time to try to figure it out. So...anyone have some Pspice models that I can use? rolleyes
I have a couple MOTs lying around that I can 'modify'. Now do I need to rewind it? I'm thinking I can just remove the HV winding and use the primary winding as is. Its 18 gauge wire BTW.

Finn Hammer
Sat Jan 06 2007, 12:35AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Jrz126 wrote ...

I'm still trying to locate a suitable inductor to use for the choke. Any suggestions on where to look?

I`ve used (more or less modified) mot`s for the OLTC`s and OL-BRISG`s that I have made, and have microsim models that will predict a good size.
If you tell me the size of the primary cap, as well as the bus voltage, I`l be happy to run the numbers for you.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Jrz126
Sat Jan 06 2007, 01:56AM
Well I got the MOT apart. The angle grinder made quick work out of it. I also welded a bead across each side to prevent the laminations from coming apart. What frequency should I try to measure the L at?

My primary cap is 12.92uF, and it'll be running off ~600V. Maybe alittle less, my diodes are only rated for 1200V each.

Well I have to say that I am quite modivated to get this thing working now. I figured I'd be up to my waist in snow by now, so I really wouldnt be able to test it too much in the garage. But the weather is 50*F+ and sunny, so I might as well try it.
Steve Conner
Sat Jan 06 2007, 12:03PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The inductor value isn't too critical. I just took an MOT, sawed the core apart, got rid of the HV winding, clamped the core back together with a 1/8" piece of plexi to set the airgap, and used that. Of course our MOTs are 240V and yours are 120, so you'd end up with one quarter of the inductance. Maybe you could fit two MOT primaries onto the same core, or use a couple of units in series? Or maybe it would work with 1/4 of the inductance, I don't know.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: