All today's birthdays', congrats!
Dalus (34)
Kizmo (37)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

CCPS (Capacitor Charging Power Supply)

Move Thread LAN_403
Finn Hammer
Wed Oct 03 2007, 06:47PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Hey Finn, just to say that Richie thinks you should lower your CCPS switching frequency to 20kHz. (ie, tune the resonant network to 40kHz) There is no single reason, except that it just "makes everything easier"
Tell Richie he is a mate!

Steve Conner wrote ...

I also heard that spikes of twice the DC bus voltage are par for the course with IGBT bricks, and the "cure" is to use bricks rated at more than twice the DC bus voltage.
Well, with the dead time I feel confident that I can keep the spikes below that, but it sure is a releif to know that it is the norm, and not just Murphy playing tricks with me.

Steve Conner wrote ...

I used a choke-input filter with my Mazzilli PS, and I still get a nice sine wave under load.

I don`t know where I had my head when I made that scope shot, because this is what it looks like now.

1191437178 205 FT30311 Mazillicurrent

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Finn Hammer
Sun Oct 21 2007, 02:29PM
All,
We have not given up completely at all, just like, you know, A guy`s gotta eat, so the day job thing.....
Anyway, we have been working on getting a PCB manufacturing act together. We really need that ground plane on the controllers and stuff, so 2 sided photosensitive material formed the base for these 2 boards:

1192975499 205 FT30311 Controller 1192975499 205 FT30311 Controllerclose

The board to the left is the voltage probe, and to the right is the controller board.
It contains the 494 PWM oscillator which interfaces with the gate driver board trough dual UCC37xxx.
Up front of it is a 74HC74 FF which takes care of synchronizing the start and stop of the pulse trains.
Further up front is a LM339 quad comparator of which each of them can clamp the data pin low, for Voltage stop, Kill Switch stop, Over temp stop, and a delay stop, so that the charging starts a predetermined time after the tesla coil has rung down.

Speaking of the Gate driver.
Now that the rest of the control circuitry is acquiring a half decent appearance, proper PCB`s and all, and since we are down to driving the gates right off the optocoupler anyway, the dinosaur beefy driver is going into the bin, and a nice PCB is being made for the gate driver as well.
If the input to the beefy driver goes open, it settles into the high state, where all 4 IGBT`s are on, so we feel more comfortable with the opto`s which have to be forced to go high.
We plan to lower the frequency as suggested by Richie Burnett, so they run quite cool, properly heatsunk. Sinked?
Comments and suggestions are as always, very welcome.

Cheers, Finn & Daniel

Finn Hammer
Mon Feb 11 2008, 06:36PM
Wow, I sure had to look _way_ back to find an entry to this thread.

Most of the controll electronics into it`s 3rd iteration, and in compliance with current standards (Goldilock gate drive, etc. smile ) the transformer was next in line for a redesign.

We had listened to Richie at the Cambridge teslathon, and I had bought the book, Soft Ferrites by E. C. Snelling.
Last weekend we made litz wire (16 strands of 0.25mm wire, 4 by 4) for the secondary, so now it was time for some kitchen table calculations:

1202750907 205 FT30311 Kitchen

Prior to Cambridge, we had based our transformer on the assumption, that core saturation was the sole limiting factor, when determining the amount volts per turn. Richie told us, that this is not always the case.
After reading the Snelling book, and some of the excellent material at Magnetics website, It became clear that a soft ferrite core is saturation limited up to 20kHz. Beyond 20kHz, the core is loss limited, which means that the core gets too hot if it is driven all the way up to saturation.

1202752166 205 FT30311 Core Loss

Having a look at the loss curves for the material revealed that at 100kHz resonant frequency, the range from 100mW/cm^2 to 400mW/cm^2 corresponded to 100mT to 180mT
We are of the opinion that an oil bath is a good thing, so operating the core at 300mW/cm^2 seemed allright. This means that the core should be driven up to ~160mT

I heard the moan! 100kHz? didn`t I tell you.....
I know it is probably something we are going to regret, but at 100kHz resonant frequency, 50kHz swiching frequency, we are able to process all the power with just one core, so that is what we are going to try...

1202752635 205 FT30311 Millitesla

Putting this into the transformer equation:
Npri=Upri/4*B*Amin*f
Solves to 10 turns.
We had 14 turns on the old transformers, so we expect to see some core temperature rise, as we now know is expected and desired.
I had some copper foil left from a welding inverter that didn`t make it to the market:

1202753324 205 FT30311 Foil

And Daniel brought an Ø80mm bar of machining quality polypropylene, which was machined this weekend:

1202753782 205 FT30311 Machnd

The resulting bobbins are here:

1202753895 205 FT30311 Both

1202753895 205 FT30311 Sec

1202753895 205 FT30311 Assembld

Each secondary section will see 5 layers of 4 turns, for a total of 8 centertapped kilovolts.

Well, that`s about it for now, from the path of an increadible learning experience. We are hell bent to make this thing work, and hopefully for more than just a millisecond, or so. smile As time will tell in its due course.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Marko
Mon Feb 11 2008, 09:08PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
That is one pretty cool transformer finn - glad to see you being back to CCPS work :)

What did you use to carve the 'irregular' bobbin ends?

Prior to Cambridge, we had based our transformer on the assumption, that core saturation was the sole limiting factor, when determining the amount volts per turn. Richie told us, that this is not always the case.
After reading the Snelling book, and some of the excellent material at Magnetics website, It became clear that a soft ferrite core is saturation limited up to 20kHz. Beyond 20kHz, the core is loss limited, which means that the core gets too hot if it is driven all the way up to saturation.

yes, that is an conclusion I came to too - when trying to puch large amounts of power through small cores I would be limited by heating far sooner than saturation.

No matter what frequency you use and not considering hysteresis losses, it simply seems to be eddy currents in the core - more V/turn you have, larger eddy currents and losses will be regardless of anything, you may have very low max flux density and still overheat the core.
this was just my theory, though.

Other thing, I don't really know why cores heat so much if they get saturated - does hysteresis loss rapidly jump up there?

Coronafix
Mon Feb 11 2008, 10:46PM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
Marko wrote ...

What did you use to carve the 'irregular' bobbin ends?

I'd say the milling machine in the photo.
Ultra7
Tue Feb 12 2008, 04:53PM
Ultra7 Registered Member #1157 Joined: Thu Dec 06 2007, 12:11PM
not trying to sound stoopid, but whats CCPS stand for?
Finn Hammer
Tue Feb 12 2008, 06:59PM
Ultra7 wrote ...

not trying to sound stoopid, but whats CCPS stand for?

It means _C_apacitor _C_harging _P_ower _S_upply

It is built on the SLR topology. _S_eries _L_oad _R_esonant.
The latter abbreviation should have been SRL in my opinion, but I was not around when it was coined. smile

Basically, it is a DRSSTC driver, only driven at a bit less than 1/2 the resonant frequency of the LC resonant load.

Ironically, this supply is going to power a T-BRISG, which will produce shorter sparks than could be acheived if we used the H-Bridge to drive the primary resonator directly.

But that will be for another time.

Cheers, Finn hammer
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Feb 22 2008, 09:16PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I've read through the thread and I still don't understand one thing, why do I need to use 50% duty cycle on the gates? The free-wheeling current flows through the diode associated to to the same transistor that conducted the preceding halfwave right?

GeordieBoy
Sat Feb 23 2008, 01:27AM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
I've read through the thread and I still don't understand one thing, why do I need to use 50% duty cycle on the gates?
There is some latitude in the gate-drive timing to the switches in the SLR inverter because the actual "turn-off" instant of the device is dictated by the resonant frequency of the load - not the gate-drive signal. As long as the gate drive is on for at least half the resonant period, and not on longer than one whole resonant period it works. That makes overall duty ratio for each switch between 0.25 and 0.50 for correct operation.

If you think about it the IGBT's in an SLR inverter actually operate like thyristors: Once they're turned on, they stay on until the current changes direction. And indeed inverter grade thyristors are sometimes used in SLR systems.

The free-wheeling current flows through the diode associated to to the same transistor that conducted the preceding halfwave right?
Load current commutation sequence:

+ve load current forced down from V+ through channel of Q1
-ve load current freewheels up to V+ through D1
-ve load current forced down to V- through channel of Q2
+ve load current freewheels up from V- through D2

...rinse and repeat

-Richie,
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Feb 23 2008, 02:56PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Ok, thanks.

I made a small scale "model" with a core from flyback xfmr, worked without problems. However it does not like open circuit loads (as was stated somewhere), the transistors get hot with no load. Any fix for this? Maybe to make the circuit self-tuning?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: