Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Driving 'Fiddy's Flybacks' in flyback mode.

Move Thread LAN_403
Shrad
Fri Nov 28 2014, 06:42PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
you want the shortest current path between switches, diodes and caps, and no loops, so use star or "T" topology in the switching zone for power

ground planes are cheap and spare your etch solution, and you'll eventually need to make more than one or two prototypes

switching ground plane and command ground plane can be separate and connected via a wire passing through a ferrite bead, or choke

this is theory, as you'll easily understand ;)
Ash Small
Fri Nov 28 2014, 08:45PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Shrad wrote ...

you want the shortest current path between switches, diodes and caps, and no loops, so use star or "T" topology in the switching zone for power

ground planes are cheap and spare your etch solution, and you'll eventually need to make more than one or two prototypes

switching ground plane and command ground plane can be separate and connected via a wire passing through a ferrite bead, or choke

this is theory, as you'll easily understand ;)

Thanks for the pointers, Shrad.

I'm going to divide this up into three boards now, driver, switch and Schottkys, and snubber.

At the moment it's looking like the connections to the primary will be on the 'snubber' board.

The 'driver' board and the 'snubber' board will be ~ half the size of the 'switch' board, and will be mounted above the 'switch' board. The heatsinks will be mounted on the underside of the 'switch' board, along with the MOSFET and Schottkys.

I will switch to 3D CAD once I finalise the layout of each board.
hen918
Sat Nov 29 2014, 06:11PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Ash Small wrote ...

hen918 wrote ...

You will need a low pass filter/smoother/snubber between the power components and the driver. I made that mistake last year - had a load of SMPS boards made; ended up having to cut the power trace to the driver and then bridge it with a 100uH inductor. I also put a little electrolytic on the driver side to form an LC low pass filter. Works now: I was getting basically random noise coming from the H-Bridge before!

So the capacitor is in series with the inductor?

What value capacitor should I start with, assuming I use a 100uF inductor?

No, the cap is between the load side of the inductor and ground. I used a 33uf capactior, but the bigger the more smoothed, as I'm sure you'll guess! Because the load drawn by the driver circuitry isn't massive I only used a small one.
Ash Small
Sat Nov 29 2014, 07:31PM
hen918 wrote ...

No, the cap is between the load side of the inductor and ground. I used a 33uf capactior, but the bigger the more smoothed, as I'm sure you'll guess! Because the load drawn by the driver circuitry isn't massive I only used a small one.

Ok, I already have plenty of capacitance between driver +ve rails and ground for precisely this reason, so I just need to add inductors/ferrite beads to the feed to the driver board, and between the driver groundplane and switch groundplane?
hen918
Sun Nov 30 2014, 10:59AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Ash Small wrote ...

hen918 wrote ...

Ok, I already have plenty of capacitance between driver +ve rails and ground for precisely this reason, so I just need to add inductors/ferrite beads to the feed to the driver board, and between the driver groundplane and switch groundplane?

Yep, that's it
Rod-on
Thu Dec 18 2014, 11:29PM
Rod-on Registered Member #6541 Joined: Sun Sept 09 2012, 05:01AM
any updates on this?
Ash Small
Fri Dec 19 2014, 10:58AM
Rod-on wrote ...

any updates on this?

Should be soon, just got a bit side tracked with helicopter blades and laminar flow, and going to collect a transformer today for another project. Should see some more progress with this over Christmas, though wink
dexter
Fri Dec 26 2014, 12:59PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
Ash Small wrote ...

1416076925 3414 FT1630 Pnp Turn Off Circuit

a bit unrelated but this circuit has any usefulness or even works with bipolar gate signal from a GDT?
Ash Small
Fri Dec 26 2014, 02:44PM
dexter wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

1416076925 3414 FT1630 Pnp Turn Off Circuit

a bit unrelated but this circuit has any usefulness or even works with bipolar gate signal from a GDT?

I think the idea of this circuit is that it doesn't discharge through the driver chip, thus speeding up 'switch off'.

I'm not sure if there is any advantage to be gained using this with a GDT, and I think a GDT would saturate due to DC component, unless maybe if it was gapped, but the main advantage of this circuit (without GDT) is that discharge isn't limitued by driver chip current limit.

I do intend to try this, and I'm leaving provision to add it later.
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Dec 26 2014, 03:05PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
This circuit, with an additional diode in series with the input and a resistor from the PNP transistor base to ground, is very commonly used for gate driving using a GDT driven in "single ended" mode (duty<50%). The advantage is that you can drive the GDT primary using just a single transistor.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: